F700GS Fork Service / Ricor Install

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dan E, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Dan E

Dan E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry...trying to remove this from The Garage...not sure how....yet.

I'm looking for the fork oil volume requirement for my 2013 F700GS and any other specifics, they are different than the F800GS.

Have not been able to locate a thread specific to this process or a on line video etc specific to the F700GS.

I just received my Ricor Intiminators and want to install them.

I plan to pull the brakes and fender outa the way, remove wheel, remove plastic fork cap covers, then push down on metal caps and have someone else remove the cir-clips.
    Loosen the fork clamps & remove the forks from the bike. Remove the spring and drain the oil.

Advice / Direction to where to look / What I've overlooked ?:ear
    Thanks
  2. Dan E

Dan E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for the fork oil volume requirement for my 2013 F700GS and any other specifics, they are different than the F800GS.

Have not been able to locate a thread specific to this process or a on line video etc specific to the F700GS.

I just received my Ricor Intiminators and want to install them.

I plan to pull the brakes and fender outa the way, remove wheel, remove plastic fork cap covers, then push down on metal caps and have someone else remove the cir-clips.
    Loosen the fork clamps & remove the forks from the bike. Remove the spring and drain the oil.

Advice / Direction to where to look / What I've overlooked ?:ear
    Thanks
  3. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is complicated. You don't install them that way.

Get the handlebars out of the way, compress and remove the circlips.

Remove the spring, insert the intiminator, replace the spring.

You don't HAVE to remove the oil, but that is drain and refill by the manual.

I use a piece of schedule 40 and a ratcheting strap to compress the spring and do it solo.
  4. Dan E

Dan E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ricor recommends using a lighter / 5W fork oil.

If there is a simple, complete way to suck the oil out or another way, I'd be up for trying it ?

Still looking for Amount of 5W to use
  5. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked with him before I did mine. BMW 7.5 weight is just fine.

Little less damping, but unless you are a real lightweight, you probably won't notice. If you are on the heavy side, you will probably prefer it.

Other manufacturers use heavier weight oil and it is too much.

Like all BMW repairs... it takes a "special tool" to measure how much oil is in the tube, there is no volume listed, although someone might know from experience

It is a real gamechanger, I don't know why BMW or BMW dealers don't make it standard.
  6. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call Don(?) at Ricor?...actually Don sold the suspension side...but anyway..call them..

I have the bike they prototyped on..my wifes 650GS...it's awesome...
  7. Morro

Morro like a ship in the night

Oddometer:
    <table rules="none" frame="box" valign="" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 1mm" class="fOne" colspan="5" valign="top"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm" class="fOne">Technical data 0B01 - F 700 GS</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table rules="all" frame="box" valign="" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <colgroup> <col width="100%"></colgroup> <tbody> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">31 - Front axle, front-wheel steering</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table rules="all" valign="" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <colgroup> <col width="30%"> <col width="20%"> <col width="30%"> <col width="20%"></colgroup> <tbody> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 1mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Designation</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 1mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Precondition</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 1mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Value</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 1mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Valid</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Type of front suspension</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top">
    </td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">telescopic forks</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Spring travel, front</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">At wheel</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">170 mm</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" rowspan="2" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Fork oil, capacity per fork leg</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top">
    </td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">550 ml</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" colspan="3" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Telescopic fork oil (Telescopic fork oil SAE 7.5)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" rowspan="2" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Level of fork oil in fork leg (air chamber)</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Forks fully compressed, compression spring and spacer removed</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">160 mm</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" colspan="3" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Telescopic fork oil (Telescopic fork oil SAE 7.5)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="top"><td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" colspan="4" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">31 42 - Telescopic forks</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Fixed fork tube outside diameter</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top">
    </td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">41 mm</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">Fixed fork tube runout</td></tr></tbody></table></td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top">
    </td> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0mm; PADDING-LEFT: 1mm; PADDING-RIGHT: 1mm; PADDING-TOP: 0mm" class="fOne" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1mm" class="fOne">max 0.1 mm</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
  8. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you measure the oil level?
  9. dpm

dpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any way you want. Tape measure, or marked oil-sucker tube. You're measuring from the top, after all.
  10. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the "Special Tool", without the BMW stamp on it.
  11. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    COPIED FROM ANOTHER THREAD:

The Ricor piece is 14mm thick so it adds 14mm to the OEM preload. On mine the OEM spacer was 200mm long. The OEM spring lengths are 377mm (right) and 378mm(left) = go figure.

TUNING: I felt the OEM front end was too soft and wanted to stiffen it up a bit. After a bit of experimentation and sag measurements plus test rides I ended up with a piece of 1 1/4" O.D. (1" I.D.) PVC cut to 187mm. I added one steel washer for a one half inch bolt that was 2.5mm thick for a total of 189.5. Adding the Intiminator (14mm) the total preload package is 203.5mm.

Using the recommended Amsoil Shock Therapy Synthetic 5 wt oil (need two quarts as the total volume is just a tick over 1 quart) I put 565ml in the left fork and 574ml in the right fork with the Ricor in, spacers and springs out and the fork fully compressed. Notwithstanding the different volume in each leg I measured the oil to be 145mm down from the top in each leg before replacing the innards.

With me on the bike this set up yields a sag of 60mm, slightly more than 33% which is pretty comfortable for my mostly paved road riding. Ricor recommends a sag of 69mm & 38%. This would be a softer than mine. Whatever you do when you get into measuring sag use metric - much easier math.

I contemplated new springs. The issue is progressive versus straight rate springs. Here ITSATDM pretty much closes the door on straight rate springs as non-existent. At his suggestion in another thread I contacted Cannonracecraft trying to get the spring rate for the stock springs or straight rate replacements = no love there so the mystery remains. New springs would have to be progressives but I'm pretty happy with the set up as is.
    I weigh 185# dressed ATGATT to ride.

AS JR suggests I would work with the Intiminators and preload spacers tuning them first to see what you come up with comfort wise. If you decide you need new springs, that's an easy install without removing the fork tubes. So you can do it later.

As always YMMV.

Here are a couple of threads worth looking at:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489675
    http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...GS-Intiminator
  12. Dan E

Dan E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank You Morro and malloy !
    Just the kind of detailed info and advice I was looking for.

I did confer with Ricor and they advised me to change to the 5W.
    So I will commence and give this process a try.
  13. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Good thread, Ill be going down this path shortly.

If you go to the racetech web page and run the bike, they have a good tool to tell you stock fork rate and options.
  14. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    I strongly recommend you use the light oil Ricor recommends. The whole point of putting more sophisticated shock valving is to increase compliance...increasing the oil viscosity will diminish that.

If you have a bottoming problem, increase the spring rate

You'll love the results
  15. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is annoying as hell. Brian's recommendation to me:

"
    [FONT=&quot]It wonÂ’t hurt anything. If it feels too stiff for you then switch to the 5w."

Granted, I am a heavy rider, so perhaps it holds true for me. It is definitely not too stiff, not with the heavier springs in.
    [/FONT]
  16. malloy

Oddometer:
    RG: Please tell us about "heavier springs in". Where from, spring rate, length, preload spacer length, etc.

Much obliged :ear:ear
  17. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. malloy

Oddometer:
    Thanks RG. :clap That's a bunch of preload and you are a big guy + 2 up. Good you found what works at that extreme end of the spectrum.

These are progressive springs. I hoped you had found some single rates. Wilburs are good products for sure.
  19. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are you located? When I hear "foothills" I think California, but that is because I live here. =)

In California, there are hundreds of custom bike builders and suspension builders.

I don't see why one of them could not make exactly what you want.

I know Fresno and Modesto have a huge underground MC part making scene. Guys that have been making parts for decades and don't advertize at all, and generally you have to go meet in person to work with them.

I have never needed custom springs, but I can ask Hot Rod Al in Modesto if he knows someone. HRA does custom work on 2 stroke Scooters like Vespa and Lambretta, but he knows just about every independent in the area.
  20. Dan E

Dan E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    It's going back together now...Looking for the correct Torque for the Fork /Triple tree pinch bolts (3) on each tube.
    I'm finding info for the F800 that states 19Nm....
    Going with that unless someone has other info.

Thanks