1. eNewsletter Sign Up

[F700GS] Shorter handlebar?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Pete7874, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Pete7874

Pete7874 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does a shorter handlebar exist for the F700GS? If so, who makes one? Looked at Touratech and Wunderlich, but didn't see any.
  2. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Narrower or less tall? Either way ProTaper, Renthal etc have tons of options for height, width and sweep and will be close to the $100 mark.
  3. Pete7874

Oddometer:
    Narrower.

I looked on Renthal's website. F700GS isn't listed. When I choose F650GS or F800GS instead, it tells me "There are no results matching your current Bike selection.".

With ProTaper, I'm not sure how to determine which bar would fit. They don't specifically list any BMW fitments.
  4. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you just want narrower, a lot of guys around here just cut an inch off the end of the bars on their woods bikes.

Don't know how well that would work with hand guards and all that stuff though...
  5. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of large bike shops will have several different bends in stock. You could go down and see what works for you. If you're just looking for narrower a hacksaw will accomplish that but you'll have to figure out something for the threaded insert on the bar end for bar weight or hand guards. You'd need to do that with aftermarket too.
  6. Hamish71

Hamish71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have pro taper Carmichael bend on my f800gs. About 2in narrower than stock.

Some advice.

1. Most bars will come with a knurled left hand grip. this makes it difficult to fit the left hand assembly onto the bar. I got mine on, but it will never come off again (in one piece anyway).

2. both sides require a small hole drilled in them for the locator screw.

If you are handy, its all not that hard. If you aren't, then maybe get someone like Highway Dirt Bikes to provide the bars pre drilled.
    Gatornation likes this.
  7. DivingPixel

DivingPixel forever n00b

Oddometer:
  8. Pete7874

Oddometer:
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I have got ask , what attribute are you trying to improve? She is pretty porky on the front and rear...