F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. NorCalHack

NorCalHack n00b

Oddometer:
    Bought my first motorcycle to learn how to ride, 2019 F850GS. Currently have 2,200 miles on it, with 14 drops, 0 crashes. I’m 6’-1”, 210 lbs., Size 47 boot, 53 years old.

My MODS and ratings:
    2019 F850GS w/Premium option
    (Not much punch from the start, heavy to pickup or save once leaned over from a stop, easy to ride, poor traction control on washboard hills)
    BMW comfort seat:
    (Uncomfortable on rides >1 hr so far, seat height is great)
    TKC80 Tires:
    (Rear is 75% worn out after 1,600 miles, very assuring off and on road)
    Doubletake Ram Mount mirrors:
    (Easy to adjust, move around offroad, can take 14 drops, hard to see detail (vibrate)at high speed)
    Horning GPS Mounting R11:
    (No issues, seems good)
    Horning Garmin adaptor for mount:
    (No issues seems good)
    Rox 1 1/2" Barback Risers:
    (For Sale, put me to far back for climbs)
    SW-MOTECH Handlebar Risers:
    (Better fit for my height)
    SW-MOTECH Adjustable Folding Gear Shift Lever:
    (Have bent it 4 times, hard to get back straight on the trail, afraid it’s going to break due to being aluminum)
    Giant Loop Zigzag Handlebar Bag :
    (Great for small items, easy accessible, blocks the key fob signal when zipped inside)
    Barkbusters VPS Handguard Kit:
    (Easy install, work great after 14 drops)
    Altrider side stand foot:
    (BMW changed the design of the side stand, so the product didn’t fit, but looked like a great product)
    AltRider DualControl Brake System:
    (Had to cut it down in width, so my boot wouldn't keep hitting the brake, has bent lever and dented muffler when dropped)
    Denali D4 Amber LED Light Kit with DataDim™ Technology:
    (Bought to noticed by drivers, many comments on how good they work, only buy lights and not kit if using CANsmart)
    Denali SoundBomb Compact Dual-Tone Air Horn:
    (Way way loud, louder than my F250 TRUCK)
    Denali Horn Mount:
    (Perfect fit, easy install, hasn’t loosened after drops)
    Denali Driving Light Mount:
    (RETURNED Does not fit with Tourtech crash bars, hits beak)
    Denali B6 License Plate LED Auxiliary Brake Light:
    (Bright, easy install)
    Denali CANsmart™ Controller:
    (Easy install, plug and play, makes use of BMW light switch and wheel, custom programs via laptop)
    TOURATECH LARGE SIDESTAND FOOT:
    (Works, has come loose twice)
    TOURATECH STORAGE BAG FOR UNDER REAR LUGGAGE RACK, BMW R1200GS:
    (RETURNED Worthless for price, only uses have the available depth of space under rack)
    TOURATECH UNIVERSAL BMW CAN-BUS 12V POWER CONNECTOR W/ CABLE FOR GPS, OUTLETS:
    (To hookup aftermarket GPS through existing GPS wiring, power on/off with key)
    TOURATECH WORKS FOOTPEGS LOW VERSION:
    (Lower than Pivot Pegz Mark 3 Pivot Pegs in their lowest setting, more distance from front of peg to shifter and rear break)
    ENGINE CRASH BARS, BLACK:
    (Easy install, work great, black scratches when dropped)
    TOURATECH UPPER CRASH BARS, BLACK:
    (Easy install, work great, black scratches when dropped)
    TOURATECH STAINLESS STEEL PANNIER RACKS, BLACK
    (work great, no issues)
    BDCW Ultimate Skip Plate:
    (lots of hits, no issues, no dents)
    BDCW Center Stand Guard:
    (rubs muffler box, now has hole in it, heavy, bounces around some)
    Pivot Pegz Mark 3 Pivot Pegs:
    (FOR SALE Needed more distance for my big feet)
    Puig Clutch Lever Shorty:
    (Better ajustablitly, extends out further)
    TOURATECH ADVENTURE TOURING WINDSCREEN, LARGE, TINTED:
    (Very little wind buffeting)
    Givi S250 Tool Box:
    (RETURNED Does not fit 850GS, shock thingy in the way)
    Denali Auxiliary Light Crashbar Mounts:
    (No issues)
    RAM Mounts Torque Bar Mount:
    (No issues)
    RAM Mounts Composite Rail Base:
    (Vibrate way to much)
    RAM Mounts X-Grip Fork Stem Kit:
    (Does not fit bikes with hex key opening at fork, must be round)
    OGIO Tail Bag (Color: Stealth Black):
    (Works great, holds a lot, low, 3 smaller pockets, rain protector)
    AltRider Luggage Rack:
    (Works great)
    Garmin AMPS Mount With Audio/Power Cable:
    (Use with GPS276, wish I had gotten it with just power cable only)
    Mosko Moto Backcountry 30L Duffle/Pack:
    (Works great, like the backpack feature)
    Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L Pannier:
    (Works great, has saved my leg twice while dabbing)
    Mosko Moto MOLLE 4L Storage Pouch:
    (Works great, many uses)
    Pipeman, slackline, 04478 and 3 others like this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    NICE LIST! We need some photos.
  3. NorCalHack

NorCalHack n00b

Oddometer:
    I had put emojis showing if I liked or disliked an individual item, but they disappeared when I posted. Bummer. Pic's don't show tail bags or tall windscreen, since I was just riding off road over the weekend, and wanted to keep things safe. Side bags are filled with rubber mats to make picking up my bike easier, but don't tell anyone. IMG_1704 (1).jpg IMG_1708 (1).jpg IMG_1712 (1).jpg IMG_1703 (1).jpg IMG_1707 (1).jpg IMG_1711 (1).jpg IMG_1710 (1).jpg IMG_1705 (1).jpg IMG_1709 (1).jpg
  4. seezur

seezur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A54200C4-9056-4F3C-B790-AB9005BA2F89.jpeg

I’ll admit I think the D4s look goofy on the bike, but they’ve been great. For getting people’s attention I have them on setting 3 of 10 during the day (seems to match headlights brightness) and 1 or 2 at night. Honestly, they’re overkill unless you ride at night. High beams at night and I can see everything to the side and in front of me.

Coming from sport bikes, I’m used to getting almost hit. With these, my visibility has dramatically increased. I watch people do double takes and swerve to avoid me. Sometimes they target fixate a bit, but they always move. Great investment. Also the Denali B6 brake light and the Dynamic Motorrad signal LEDs. Can’t recommend them enough.

Attached Files:

5. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    On the topic of visibility, rigging auxiliary lights in with the CANsmart to be able to take advantage of the strobe with horn and "flash to pass" settings has already kept me from getting hit once and I've only ridden a couple times since installing it. When my auxiliaries strobed I watched a lady casually glance and clearly not see me to snapping her head back my way and absolutely seeing me and not pulling out. Strobing amber lights are perhaps one of my new favorite things.
  6. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can they be set for a constant strobe? Not like an on/off flashing work truck light but dim/bright mode?
  7. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    They constant strobe as long as you use the horn and they strobe in 3 intervals when you use the flash to pass. I don't believe they can be in constant strobe like you describe but that would be huge in my opinion and it would certainly be something I'd use.
    DENALI Electronics likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Pinging @DENALI Electronics with a software request :) Would be cool or maybe it's just a feature that's buried?

I think for Heather's F750, we plan on doing the S4 fork mounted w/ SoundBomb & B6 and the Can Smart controller. Biggest advantage of that over clearwater is configuration can be done via a UI. Clearwater's button dance to configure their lights takes too much work. Oh and with Can Smart, the sound bomb is plug & play.
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    @KS -
    In that config does the horn actually sound? I am thinking it must, or you wouldn't be able to use the horn at all.
    So you were blowing the horn as the strobes were activated... how do you know if it was the horn or the lights which the lady noticed?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    when I press the horn button and it sounds, the lights strobe for as long as you hold the button. In this instance, however, I flashed the brights and the lights strobed. I have a tendency to flash whenever I see the possibility of looking through me, my fingers is almost always on the flash trigger in town or city riding. It's not very often that I'm riding in urban areas. Don't know why, but I hate horns and don't use it, it's an option if I ever do though.
  11. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The strobe feature with the "flash to pass" and when used with the horn is a feature that we hear riders like a lot. I need to check with our team, but I am not certain that constant flash is DOT compliant everywhere--its definitely not compliant at night. Let me check and get back with you guys!
    That.guy and AdamChandler like this.
  12. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey--I don't think that bike looks goofy at all, but I may be a bit biased...:jack
    I think both bikes look awesome. Any chance either of you would mind if I post your pics on our vendor thread Shine On And Show Us Your High Beams?
    We're trying to create a space where anyone who wants to see what the products would look like on their bikes can go and get an idea for different things.
    LMK

Your Denali Design Team
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. NorCalHack

NorCalHack n00b

Oddometer:
    Sure thing.
  14. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I ask why you've dropped your bike so many times? What kind of terrain are you riding? Shucks, I'm 5'7", 175 lbs, 72 years old and alternate between the comfort seat and low seat. Coming off a R1200GS this 850 seems light, easy to maneuver and control and never come close to dropping it. Granted, I've done nothing harder than rough dirt roads, roadside pull-offs, fields, etc, all things that would have been difficult with the 1200.
    But I have to admit, you have courage to admit that you dropped your bike 14 times. There's some people that say dropping a bike is a lack of ability. But back in my enduro days the saying was if you aren't crashing you aren't going fast enough!
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    My first bike was an R1200GS and like NorCal, I've dropped my bike dozens of times those first 2 years riding around in the woods. This year, no drops. I've gotten better year over year.

Also, I'm not saying that was the best way to learn. I got a great deal on the bike and road 10K miles the first year, 14K miles the 2nd and 12K miles this year the 3rd year on the bike. I've since added a light weight bike (dirt bike) to the stable and have done 5 weekends of training this year alone. Last year I did 3 weekends. First year I did 2 weekends of training. I ride with people twice my age and they're all really good so I'm just trying to play catch up. Thank goodness for crash bars :p
    apexal likes this.
  16. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    probably riding like this (I wish I could)

upload_2019-9-13_8-1-2.png
    apexal likes this.
  17. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    What about an inconsistent or variable "flicker" for lack of a better term? Maybe not a full "on/off" strobe but a fairly rapid or variable change from 100% to 50/40/30%? be even better if the left and right auxiliary lights changed independent of each other. A strobe is definitely more noticeable but I also know that the human brain recognizes patterns and visual stimulus better if it's unusual or atypical. I believe it's why even if you ride with headlights on that you can still be invisible, because it's so commonplace. Just some thoughts, I've no idea how a human would go about these types of things in the tech world. I like hammers, stare quizzically at computer chips etc.
  18. NorCalHack

NorCalHack n00b

Oddometer:

1x Put the side stand down, which killed the engine (didn't know that), automatically put it back up (bike still rolling), then forgot and got off the bike. Ouch.
    1x rolling backwards off my toy hauler, feet can't touch the ground, oops.
    2x week#2, at OHV park, front tire just slipped out from underneath me on sandy dirt over hard-pack.
    5x week#3, beginner ADV Class (3rd pass walking around bike to learn its balance point), off-camber turn stalled it, clay hill in the mud (got to the top but in "rain mode" lost power to rear wheel, practicing hill starts on loose cobble, bike rolled backwards after stall, and trying to turn around in a tight space on top of a hill.
    2x week#4, practicing hill starts on loose cobble hill at local HOV park
    1x week#5, going up a wide open hill crossing deep ruts, got sideways.
    3x week#6, Advanced ADV class, (practicing skid turns in loose sand/dirt got away from me twice, and lastly got stuck in deep sand and the instructor pushed my bike over to show me how to get it out, and once it was lifted he pushed it over the other way for laughs. I didn't count either of those.
    The majority of my hours ridden have been Offroad and as difficult of terrain that I can find.
    apexal, SebRex13 and AdamChandler like this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    You're off to a great start! @Heather_B had her first fall off her bike going up our drive way and stalling it. She fell off with style, crash bars did their job. Shit happens.
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    While I understand the intent, at some point you have to just go with what you have. No state will let you put so many flashing bright colored lights on your bike that it can be confused for an official / police / emergency vehicle.
    You have to do the rest, adjusting speed & course & lane placement to be seen or out of harm's way. I've never added any lights to any bikes and not had much issue.

My closest call: Once I approached a guy parked on the right side of the road from behind and as I got near him he decided to do a three point turn effectively blocking the entire road in front of me! I screeched to a stop less than 1 ft from his driver's door, and he just stared out his driver door window, he couldn't believe I was there. I don't think any lighting would have helped. I gave him two middle fingers in his face so he would remember it.
    AdamChandler and SnoDrtRider like this.