F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    I agree, but I'll take as many aids as I can get, and I only run one set of auxiliaries so I'm not out to mimic an emergency vehicle. In the cell phone age with everyone staring at their palms while driving, I see it prudent to have something that fluctuates and attracts the eye, static lighting gets ignored with every car these days having DRL's.
  2. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No accessory installed today.

After not only replying to Brooks’ initial eMail confirming what bike I was buying their top case mount for, but also sending a SECOND, FIRM eMail that I have a 2019 F850GSA Adventure with the R1200/1250GSA Adventure style rack ... they still sent one for a standard F750/850GS. I looked at rigging it, but it just ain’t gonna’ fly. :baldy
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I can't stand DRL's I just don't see the point. It does totally take away the advantage bikes used to have in daylight... I do the High beam during the day sometimes, in certain situations.
  4. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I can't stand DRL's I just don't see the point.

Why can you not stand DRL’s ?
  5. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Umm...
    If I am not mistaken these bikes do have brakes and very good ones.
    Maybe instead of relying on other people seeing you by using loud horns of flashing lights defensive driving should be used where you actually anticipate and expect that EVERYONE is going to pull out in front of you and ride accordingly.
    Over dependence and confidence in devices could turn around and bite bite you in the ass.
    I have been riding for 45+ years and I did not reach the age of 62 because I relied on gimmicks to keep me alive.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’re right and so are they. Lights as horns help but they’re no supplement for lack of awareness.
  7. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love that you aren't afraid to admit that you make mistakes or lose it on difficult terrain. But have you considered a true off road worthy bike like a KTM? I don't mind taking my 850GS on dirt roads and easy terrain but no way am I bringing a $18,000 motorcycle on the stuff that you ride. My God, when I used to ride and race real dirt bikes I still cried over my first few crashes with a new bike. Anyway, it sounds like you are having fun so keep at it!
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I was referring to passenger cars/trucks. I don't feel they make a vehicle any more visible during the middle of the day. In rain, sure. Dusk/dark, of course. Broad daylight, nope. They take away the advantage of a much smaller motorcycle running it's light.

I DO think they distract, they are not consistent (not all cars have them) and I see people driving with them at night ALL the time, not realizing the rest of their lights aren't on (taillights, parking lights). Maybe they're drunk maybe not but apparently they confuse some drivers.

This is not the same (but now I am fired up) but some cars have courtesy lights that come on when you unlock, or remain on when you lock and walk away, & illuminate the reverse lights. So here I come through the parking lot, see the reverse lights and think the car is going to back out any second. Hate it.
  9. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Instrument panel is not illuminated with DRLs so if they are running after dark with only DRLs they are drunk, stoned or stupid.

I run with the full headlamps on in my work van 100% of the time even though my van has DRLs... just a habit... start, fasten seat belt and switch on the lights. I have been doing it for 30-40 years.
    That being said I was on my way to a job last week and I see a bike that a non rider would probably not have noticed coming in the opposite direction. He was in the shadows and his headlamp was very dim or aimed improperly... Black bike and the rider all in black... not good.

There is a lot to be said for light color or Hi Vis clothing and helmets as well as having your lights properly aimed.
    Pch123 likes this.
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Any further experimental results on this?
    I want to research switching to the adjustable mount from the GSA and then add the stock GSA screen, or the Puig.
  11. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Sorry no... Too busy with work during the week and riding on the weekends to play with the windshield.
    We are on vacation week after next if I have time to get some longer bolts I am give it another try.
    I want to be able to ride the way it is and stop, add some shims and then ride again right away rather then get home and make a change and not ride for a couple days or a week.
  12. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:

Fair bit of scientific evidence in EU and other places they do make a difference
    Thats why they are compulsory in so many countries now

Each to their own
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I don't doubt it. But If it raises my visibility from 99.87% to 99.92% then really I am not interested in making the effort. I have eyes that work, so that is strictly my opinion. I also do not care for the GIANT sign in the YMCA stairwell that says "Please Hold Hand Rail". Bugger off I say! Too much nannying. :devildog
    But yes, everyone's got to make their own choice.
  14. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    don't get me started on reverse fog lights. I've seen so many Audi Q5s with these turned on. they're blinding if you're behind them and there's no fog. Europeans know how to use them and VWAG never used to allow ROW / NAM customers to enable them unless you order from Europe the "fog switch" but newer Q3/Q5 cars the owners are keeping them on. it's a very bright red light coming out of their tail light.

[​IMG]
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    How does the NHTSA even allow those in the US? But they haven't allowed proper bright headlights until recently... (adaptive lighting, etc)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Anyone who has replaced their levers want to sell their stock Clutch Lever to me? Actually I'd buy them both as a set if you want.
    I broke mine yesterday. I liked the stock one ok but don't care to spend $127 for another. Can't decide on an aftermarket right now.
    toddggg ( @ gmail )

I'll also be getting some stronger hand protectors so the next drop doesn't break them again. Don't care for the looks of the Bark Busters, or the Moto Art ones...

Does BMW have metal braces that integrate with the admittedly bendy hand protectors that came on our bikes? There is an indentation in the front of them as if there would be.
    I found these but would prefer slightly less over-built ones, that cost less!
    https://www.motorcycleadventure.com.au/handguard-bmw-f850gs-adventure-2018-on
  17. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After trying a couple of garage-riggings to replace the Hornig Nav mount that fouled the screen adjustment lever ... I came to the simple conclusion that it was stout enough to cut in half! DONE!

66433D1B-A9B4-486D-A2D5-0E74A72FEE9B.jpeg
  18. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also added what I refer to as “tenderloins” in reflective orange. The hardest part was getting the shape close. It had to look factory.

DA7E59C1-CE28-4EE3-895B-FAE03C185441.jpeg
  19. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    You guys must all be easily misled lol
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Interesting, the GSA tank and lower two panels are quite differently shaped than the non-Adv model. Is that just tape that you added, or did you cover a an existing underlying part and re-install?