F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tank area is basically a two (three) piece affair with a central spine and two side panels. The spine is removed exposing the full side. The area in question is molded as part of the side, so nothing to remove. Frankly, that would have made the job easier ... instead I had to create a template that was massaged via CAD and then cut from vinyl with a Cricut.
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Well, it's purty!
  3. seezur

seezur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure no problem.
    DENALI Electronics likes this.
  4. osufrdave

osufrdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done! That is subtle and gorgeous!
    burangs likes this.
  5. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking good!
    How is the seat?
    What is the height from the ground to the seat when it is on the centerstand?
    I'm looking for a replacement of my OEM rallye seat, that is way to hard/uncomfortable and a little bit to high.
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I don't care for the looks of the BarkBusters. Has anyone ever seen or tried these?
    https://www.revzilla.com/motocross/acerbis-dual-road-handguards
    I know they don't connect on the inboard end. I think they would still work for 90% of the drops as the impact will typically come from the end. And they sure do look much better, if you Google Image search to see them mounted on a bike.
  7. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    They look like less protection than the stock ones as they only connect on the inside...
  8. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

The seat is excellent, I have never had a bad seat from Sargent. My GSA Is a low, so no centerstand (until I rig one), and it had the OEM low saddle. I ordered the low from Sargent. Though dimensionally taller, it actually rides just about the same as the OEM low. The fact that Sargent can produce a low saddle that is as comfortable as a standard height seat says a good bit about their product.
  10. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Thanks, those are nice but overkill IMO. I don't need my handguards to be adjustable.
    Also, their site states this, which I don't want to deal with:
    "Fitment to the 2019 F850/750GS first requires installation of handlebar setback mounts (ROX are a good brand) that will create sufficient clearance between the Guards and these new models’ very large TFT displays."

I'm shocked BMW doesn't have some deluxe OE options for this application. Not that many choices out there.
  12. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm also with you that they would look HUGE on an FX50GS. They look massive on a 1200
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Well we established that the tank and side covers are different. Probably some other bits forward of those too....
  15. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up my new racing red F850GS last week and took it for a decent first ride yesterday. I have an R1200gs and my wife has an F700GS that i've modded back in Canada. The 850 is my Aussie bike. I attached an sw-motech tank ring for my City bag and the Nav VI that the dealer threw in to the deal hits the bag at full lock, plus I can't see the GPS in the handlebar. Looks like get one of the repositioning bars and put it where it's supposed to be. Then the windscreen- I put a Givi airflow on my wife's 700 and it works well. I don't want a big touring windscreen, perhaps I'll go for the GSA model. I've ordered sw-motech lower crash bars and a headlight guard and I have a bunch of Skene lights to fit. But it looks like here in AUS they only allow amber turn signals, so I'll need to program the rear lights only as additional brake lights. I'll get a Canswitch when they become available. I'll put some spots on top of the engine guard bars. I'll also get some barkbusters.

I have Mosko Reckless 80 soft luggage, but also Brooks alu panniers on my 1200. I'd like to be able to bring those hard panniers to use on the 850 as well, but I'm not sure about luggage mounts. I e-mailed Brooks but they didn't respond.

I'm going to go slower modding this bike, but the lights are a priority. Back in Alberta in the summer it gets dark quite late, but here in Brisbane it's dark by 5:30 pm with a heap of traffic. Yesterday I got caught out in the dark and got hit by a thunder/lightning storm. I feel a bit invisible at the moment.

I also have to figure out the whole TFT/ Cardo headset/ mobile phone connectivity thing. With my 1200 I only used my phone and the Cardo packtalk, I had to many problems with the Nav V to bother with it. The Nav VI seems better, and I don't think I'll handle bar mount my phone, so I'll need to work out how to connect everything properly. I couldn't get music or nav instructions through my cardo yesterday.
    heatmizr and AdamChandler like this.
  16. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    If you want you can flip the Nav mount around on the bars and it will move the Nav an inch or so farther away... it will be slightly off center (or centre) but it will be easier to see over the tank bag (I have the same City on my bike) This will work until you get a proper mount to locate the Nav above the TFT where it belongs.
    burangs and fozrunner like this.
  17. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like hammers! Quote of the Day right there. I also have no idea how something like that would technically be achieved, but I don't have to. Nate, our head designer and Greg, our lead engineer know how to figure things out, and are always interested in what riders are looking for. I am going to pass your thoughts on to them--thanks for voicing them!

Your Denali Design Team
    www.DenaliElectronics.com
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Welcome Foz!
    Sounds like you are well on your way... If your 1200 is a new model, I think the mounting points are supposed to be similar on the 850. If it's an older model, no.

I too am thinking of mounting the Adventure model screen, either with or without the adj bracket from the A model.
    Would love to hear from some Adventure Riders about the effectiveness of that slightly taller screen.
    fozrunner and AdamChandler like this.
  19. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, for sure. The entire front beak assembly is different. The GSA is arched where as the GS is more pointed. The width is quite different and the mounts are different (some nonexistent) causing a slew of accessories that supposedly fit all of them to not even come close on the K81. One thing I have learned in years of doing this, is that it doesn’t fit until it fits. LOL
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    "K81" - do we know exactly which codes go with which model variation?? Can you fill us in pls?? Is there a source for this info using your VIN ?
    I was on a parts site yesterday desperately trying to order a stock clutch lever and this particular site wanted me to drill down by K-codes, and then production month year. I had to guess which code mine fell under...

And yeah, the differences are making it v difficult to order parts from one model to fit on the other.