F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Did I see a post before that you have a GS 911? If so you can get all the model info from that.

If not you can go here https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/en/service/manuals/web-etk.html and follow the instructions for user ID and Password then when you enter the EPK (Electronic Parts Katalog) there is a place you can enter your VIN so that you know you are getting the correct parts for your bike.... this will also tell you the "K" series of your bike.
    I printed the factory build/options sheet for our bikes so I have all the info when I need it...
    fozrunner likes this.
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Thank you. No I haven't bought the GS 911 yet.
    I did do some research though and apparently the dealer sold me a 30-yr old bike!
    https://en.vindecoder.pl/WB10B1904KZ790207
    But at least it's a K81.

I tried your EPK link, took some guessing but found the path on the left side menu.
    Cool!
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  3. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figured why buy a folding adjustable shift lever when the stock GSA lever seemed easily modified. It was a bit more challenging to get machined and working, but I got it made. Several hours of work and head scratching for my limited machining skills and manual machines. Don't even ask if I can make more unless someone can do it in CNC.

IMG_20190919_134513_resize.jpg

IMG_20190919_134550_resize.jpg

IMG_20190919_134603_resize.jpg
    slackline and burangs like this.
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Huge Applause! That takes some real life skills there. Mechanical ability to visualize.
    So, in the first pic there are two ends, did you buy another stock lever to work on?
  5. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I made the folding one completely from solid aluminum. The other one in the picture is the original piece that I removed.
  6. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think there was a discussion on fuels for the 750s... we have always ran 91 (premium) in the bike... we ran into back to back refills where we had to run 87 octane in the bike (it was due to remote areas, only one fuel source available)... anyway... bike never missed a beat and we really could not tell any difference other than it seemed to back fire a little on deceleration...
  7. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I filled mine up with 91 today, worried that it wouldn’t like it, as premium here is 98, which I normally run. Didn’t even notice the difference
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Do these bikes have knock sensors? If yes, then it shouldn't matter too much if you vary the octane, I'd be more worried about getting dirty fuel from somewhere... BTW premium fuel is typically cleaner than lower octane fuels, but one bad gas station tank overrules either one. Don't fuel up if the tanker is there filling the station and disturbing all the contaminants in the underground tank..

*** A quick search indicates that YES the 850 motor Does indeed have a knock sensor and management (the 800 did Not).

Here is an excellent article about diff octane levels and knocking and its effect on your motor.
    https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/438324/Understanding-octane--AKI-MON-and-RON-oh-my.htm

TLDR --> Lower octane ok at times; higher octane than rated for does not have a power benefit, but does have more detergents, etc.
    Phoenix101 and AdamChandler like this.
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    bikeymikey70: "I filled mine up with 91 today, worried that it wouldn’t like it, as premium here is 98, which I normally run."

The thing here is, I have no idea if Australia uses the same Octane rating method as anywhere else, they can be different.
    What is your Australian manual telling you that the recommended rating is for your country?
    Totally possible your 98 is equal to US 91...
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  10. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I generally run midgrade, even though it might not be required, because it supposedly has higher grade additives which prolong engine health and performance. At about $1 more for a full tank it's not a price difference I'm worried about. That equates to 1/3 of a cent difference per mile ridden.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    What do you call mid-grade? Oh right you have the 750 - is that rated for 89?
    I think mid-grade as 91, and that is what the 850 calls for.
  12. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 750, added it in my signature line to make it easier. The manual calls for 87AKI which is generally the lowest grade outside of the high elevation rocky mountain area states. Mid grade for me is the button in the middle, usually 89 octane at most stations (87 here in CO). I’m used to 87/89/91 octane scheme, with some of the many states I’ve lived in having premium at 92 or 93.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    I run 91 here as that's all we have, got stuck having to fill with 87 and thought she wouldn't like it but I didn't notice anything negative.
  14. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I "raised" my forks / lowered my triples today. But, I have the stock handlebar mount, and my fork tops contact the handlebar at ~8mm drop. So I ended up with 6mm drop.
    I probably won't be able to feel the difference, but...

Before I did it I took a good look at the rear of the front fender and the extension I attached to it as well to see if it would hit my new Wunderlich belly pan when the forks are fully compressed. I even used a ruler for accuracy. It looked unlikely to contact at anything but 100% compressed. Even if it did I don't think it would hurt anything, the fender extension would just flex a bit.
  15. smoore

smoore Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not so much a question of accessories as replacement parts:

So spouse dropped my F750GS yesterday while trying to move it. The front brake lever broke off at the cutout part as intended. It's still useable, obviously, but I'd like to replace it with new (I mean, I've not even gotten to the first bloody service yet!)

So far, I'm coming up empty in a search for Pazzo levers and OEM replacement levers online. Anybody have an idea of how much BMW is going to charge me for an OEM brake lever, or what sorts of aftermarket replacement levers are good? Thanks!
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    smoore likes this.
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Ok so far these are the two handguards in the running for me... Either the Acerbis above, or these Hepco & Becker :
    https://www.motorcycleadventure.com.au/handguard-bmw-f850gs-adventure-2018-on

The Acerbis look Hawt but in reality I think I like the H&Bs; solid looking, function over form, and no more plastic damage on every little tipover.
    Not crazy about them mounting the inboard end to the handlebar clamps, but now that I think of it maybe that is an advantage to spread out any impact? Anyone see any issue with that? Also keeps the bar open for any future Ram mounts or other...
    Hmm, not sure how to make sure they will clear TFT and any future windscreen though.
  18. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replaced my stock levers with shorty levers from Puig purchased from Revzilla.
    Daechir likes this.
  19. smoore

Oddometer:
    I saw those. At Revzilla, the Puig model-specific perch is $35 and the foldable 2.0 brake lever is $67. With free shipping, that totals $102.

Per the link very kindly provided by heatmizr, the OEM brake lever is $122 at MaxBMW, again with free shipping. The difference being only 20 bucks, I might just bite the bullet and order the OEM one from MaxBMW.
  20. smoore

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this -- It was VERY helpful. And keeping the broken-off lever as a replacement is a fantastic idea.