F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    100% agree BUT... Look at it like BMW does... Threadlock compounds are isocyanates at their core and have been associated with cancer among other things. I know more than a few body men/painters that have nervous system issues due to exposure before it was realized it is not only absorbed though the lungs but through the skin...
    My guess is BMW as well as all manufacturers are trying to mitigate lawsuits based on isocyanate absorption. Anyone using thread locking compounds should wear gloves and was their hands directly after their use.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Does this go for off-the-shelf loctite and such?
    PS - you guys smaht!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Yes... Locktite started making a "stick" type thread lock compound but it didn't seem to go over well. It was along the lines of a chapstick and you rubbed it into the treads. The idea was to keep people from getting it on their skin as much as possible. I haven't bought locktite in a long time because the tube I have has lasted me a long time.
    The painters I know developed Parkinson's like tremors and shakes from exposure in the early days from using paints like Imron and others with add in hardeners...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    should I stop eating LocTite then?
    heatmizr likes this.
  5. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Only on Cheerios...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard the blue is okay....
  7. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would certainly be another motive for the choice particularily at the factory level and certified repair shops where they would be held responsible for worker health. It also removes the human error from the equation in controlling the application and ensuring not too much or too little is applied. A fastener loosening and causing a failure due to improper application would be a liability. From my personal perspective, I don't use very much of the stuff for it to be the greatest of health concerns, but it is certainly one more straw piled onto that camel's back given my career exposures as a firefighter and auto mechanic before that. Bad stuff lurking in my veins.

One more thing I do wonder about is how the use of a user applied threadlocker would affect the applied torque value. Does it have a lubricating quality dissimilar from the encapsulated product thus resulting in a torque error; too much, too little? Questions for the far more scientific minds to weigh in on.
    SnoDrtRider and AdamChandler like this.
  8. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Highly unlikely the a torque of 200 Nm is going to be affected by any type of locking compound. Lubrication yes.

When I was at the Alfa Romeo dealer in the late 70s and 80s when building engines we would use a Flux brush to apply oil only to the areas that connecting rod nuts contacted the rod cap and apply red LockTite just to the treads inside of the nut. Same for Main Bearing caps then torque to factory specs. Never had an engine come apart... even race engines. The main caps were redundant because they had separate lock nuts on top of the main nuts.
  9. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Finally had time to take the bike for a short spin... The footrests are spot on... fixes three problems... two of which I didn't know I had... brake and gear lever location is much better now in relation to the pegs.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I just washed mine thoroughly last weekend... And probably going to play in the mud tomorrow!
  11. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Washed the bikes last week gave them a Shine Armor treatment yesterday... IMG_20200522_192826.jpg IMG_20200522_192826.jpg IMG_20200522_192904.jpg IMG_20200522_193127.jpg IMG_20200522_193149.jpg IMG_20200522_193210.jpg
    ab8mi and SebRex13 like this.
  12. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope to have my Sargent seat delivered today, rode up from nc to nj on Friday and had to take a break every 3 hrs or so. I’ll be riding back down as soon as I get it. It should make for an interesting review.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for your review! I always find it uncomfortable on the way home after a day of riding.
  14. jmcarter

jmcarter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI that the Sargent seat on my 850 Adventure made a phenomenal difference. My butt was numb inside 100 miles on the stock seat and I’ve done many a 600 mile days on stock RT and GSA seats.
    osufrdave and mazocar like this.
  15. Emb120

Emb120 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did 300 miles yesterday on my 850 GSA on the oem seat and I think I might have to invest in a Sargent seat. Granted I only have 1500 miles on the bike, I was hoping that the oem seat will break in more.
    ab8mi likes this.
  16. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Don't keep lying to yourself... Ain't gonna happen! I endured the PITA far longer than I should have because I kept lying to myself also.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    you can't break in a 2x4.
    Phoenix101 and SnoDrtRider like this.
  18. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My main issue with it was that I was on my toes when I came to a stop. So I took it to an upholstery shop twice and had them shave it down by the thigh area. That helped and I put another 3k miles on the bike with that set up. My ass was still sore after a about 1.5hrs riding. Then I got one of those Maddog seat covers and that pretty much doubled my riding time between breaks.

I hope it’s as good as the hype is. I Ordered the low version of the sport performance
    ab8mi and jmcarter like this.
  19. BioStrom

BioStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B1B3393B-4AAB-40E4-AAFA-33ADFC3B12B4.jpeg 404EA592-F390-4ED0-81D6-D9AD1CDEF59B.jpeg The banshee scream of the Michelin Anakee III tires was put to rest today, replaced with Dunlop Trailmax Mission’s. It’s amazing that such an aggressive tread is one of the quietest ADV tires I’ve used and it’s dirt ready.
    mazocar, osufrdave and AdamChandler like this.
  20. osufrdave

osufrdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am making this my own. The Sergant seat is just what my wife and I were looking for. I am also testing these panniers for Happy Trails. The top case is OEM. I like the fact they are to be mounted on OEM racks and require no adapters. Time for me to ride them hard! Pannier.jpg Rear View.jpg
    Rockkyyy, Emb120 and AdamChandler like this.