F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    In some cases less is more.
  2. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that and it limits how far the brake pedal will bend... we have them on all of our bikes... works from keeping crap from bending the pedal and when on landing on the brake side... seems to help keep it in one place... your call just offering an idea
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or you can make your own brake snake with safety wire. I have just safety wire from pedal to sump guard with the proper slack. Saved money as I have spool wire in my tool box.
    mazocar likes this.
  4. david_r_adv

david_r_adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone running black engine crash bars with silver upper bars? I made a mock-up and it looked pretty good on my bike, would love to see a real photo.
  5. smoore

smoore Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for the F750GS folks out there:

My bike came with the BMW GPS cradle installed on it. I won't ever use the cradle, so I want to remove it.

However, I've found that if I unplug the cradle wire from its connector at the right side of the dash, the left side handlebar controls no longer work: the Menu button and multi-control wheel produce no response, and the cruise control and indicator switch also will not work.

Does anybody have any suggestions or pointers or similar experiences out there?

Thanks.
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Post a picture of where you're unplugging. Several of us have done this without that effect. Perhaps there's another connector farther up the wiring that you need to disconnect instead?
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  7. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I removed my wife's cradle with no issues...
    Are you sure you unplugged the correct wire? The one for the Nav has a white plug on the end.
  8. listener

listener Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For anyone that removed gps cradle on F850/750 what kind of cap did you use to replace white plug. Is there something that slides in the same rail where white plug was to seal off the connector. Currently I closed it with electrical tape and secured it with zip ties but I'm looking for more OEM solution if there is one ?
  9. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I was going to order the cap from my dealer but never did... I just wrapped it with GOOD electrical tape.
  10. listener

listener Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you maybe have part number ?
  11. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Sorry but no... I tried looking for it on parts fiches but it seems the parts fiches for newer bikes are not 100% yet.
    listener likes this.
  12. smoore

Oddometer:
    Yep, the white plug on the lower edge, right side of the dash. When I unplugged the nav cradle, it made all the controls on my left side HB quit working. I was thinking that maybe some circuit didn't like not being terminated by the removal of the cradle, but I'm not sure why or what's going on.

13. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Since I have removed my wife's I have gone through all of the menus and even reset her service reminder with the GS 911 with no problems since I serviced the bikes...
  14. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Funny I was just about to post a review of my Sargent seat, I just took my first ride on it... An overnight camping trip, roughly 350 mi.
    By the way I punched in that promo code above and it's the same $70 discount that the May sale was...

So my seat, I got the regular base model seat they sell for the 850 GS. I was worried that the plain black pinstriping might look too blah, but it's a nicely made seat and looks great on the bike.

The seat pan appears well developed, very similar to the stock one. Although the middle and rear tabs don't seem to grab onto the frame as tightly, I can lift the seat up a fraction of an inch when it's in place. The flashlight snapped in underneath as a nice touch. However I noticed when I'm just rolling the bike around it does rattle a little. I'm sure a felt pad stuck in there would solve that.

The covering is well made and looks great. A little bit grippy but I had no problems moving around on it. It looks very nice and is well stitched.

The cushion foam feels denser then stock, so a bit firmer. But it does a good job. The front half of the seat does away with most of the incline that the stock has, mitigating most of your butt sliding forward, but not all. The dish part in the rear of the front looks great but I can't use it, I am 5'9 /32 inseam and I can't sit all the way back there... If I try then it's a stretch to reach the bars. So I end up sitting more towards the front, which doesn't seem like the way it was designed, as the front has a more of a hump in the middle which is not ideal on my gonads.
    The rear seat looks nice although much larger than it really needs to be as I'll never have a passenger. It also just touches the front edge of the rear rack, it could be a 1/2 in shorter to avoid that.

Is it my imagination or is does this seat soak up a bit more heat in the sun?

I'm a little bit on the fence... It's definitely better for me than the standard stock seat, however I did get sore on it eventually. Maybe a little bit less sore than on the stocker. I was hoping for more comfort, based on the overwhelming reviews here. I think if I was three or four inches taller I would be sitting on the "dish" in the seat the way it looks like it was designed, but the average height on this forum can't be over 6 ft..
    Also maybe there is a little bit of break in required?

So what do others in the 5'9" range think about the seating position?
    I'm pretty sure I'll keep it, as any improvement on stock is worth the $400 I ended up paying. I'm just not blown away like I was hoping.
    AdamChandler and mazocar like this.
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Oh, what's that you say? Where are the Moto-camping pics??
    This was right off the Blue Ridge Parkway west of Asheville NC.
    I tried hammock camping for the first time! It takes a while to learn how to get comfortable in there, but pretty comfy once you get the hang of it. I was less than 10 ft from that stream, which sounded wonderful all night.

All I did to the bike was change the suspension to "1+luggage" and strap everything on. BTW I monkied with the three preload settings and it is obvious there is a large step in preload to the middle (1+luggage) setting, and then only a smaller step to the 3rd (2-up) setting.

My rear Karoo 3 is about spent, at ~4800 miles. Middle knobs are almost worn down to to nothing. I hope to get another 400 miles out of it while I decide to replace it and wait for the front to wear down, or just upgrade to a new set of Anakee Adventures.

IMG_20200703_104310.jpg IMG_20200703_084454.jpg IMG_20200702_201956.jpg
    AdamChandler and mazocar like this.
  17. smoore

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting this. Just picked up a low seat at a steep discount thanks to you.
    AdamChandler and heatmizr like this.
  18. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Camping :(

I just moved back up north, damn that Rona. IMG_7164.jpg
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Wait what? For good? Sorry we never hooked up at Uwharrie...

smoore - nice! Stock low or Sargent low?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    OEM Seat vs. Sargent - Agreed, it’s much hotter when out in the sun. I’ve draped my jacket over the seat which helps a lot. The OEM IDK, maybe a different material and deflects more heat?