F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, come on, the Pyramid extension isn't that expensive. Trying to save $20 on a $18,000 motorcyle?

Seriously, I agree, it's not an easy bike to clean. I get mine dirty but I also tend to clean it after every ride. I also added a rear hugger to keep some of the crap off the shock and rear of the engine. It also has an integral chain guard and a very nice item (but pricey). It's made by Puig and I got it from Hornig in Germany (not China).

IMG_0433.jpeg
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Not TRYING to save $20, I AM saving $20!!
    Anyway, its not a Nav unit or high tech piece, its a small piece of abs plastic. Let you know if it fits!

ooooooooh I Love that hugger! I was checking out some diff rear fenders last night, most seem like they will allow too much junk to come over the top and still make a mess. But I suppose its much better than nothing. So it replaces the stock chain guard...
    I may have to ask for this for xmas!
  4. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, post a photo of your shopping deal after it's installed. Give the other members another option if it works out.
    Yes, the hugger replaces the stock chain guard. I was on some dirt roads in Vermont last week and it kept the shock and front of the swingarm clean. Not cheap but I like it. And it only took Hornig 1 week to get it here from Germany.
    marathonpaul likes this.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
  6. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I don't see the lateral strength in that design to prevent side to side movement. I could be wrong but the Nav and bracket will add some mass to the top of that bracket.
  7. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm quite happy with my setup in spite of the price and the wait. It was well worth it. And solid as a rock.
    By the way, are you undercutting cost or quality? When I run my eBay parts/accessories searches I check "USA only" to filter out the Chinese stuff. I guess that means more of their fine products for you to buy :-)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I want it to match my engine! Err, our engine...
    I am not sure if it's a quality piece or not. But if it works, why spend 3x or 4x as much?
    I suspect it vibrates as much as the dash and windshield, none. Also why does it need to be sturdy side to side? If it hits the ground, any nav bracket will likely bend, and that is the least of your issues at that point. At least this one looks like you could bend it back by hand, if needed.
    I agree, yours is nicer. But I can't justify dropping $150++ on every little doodad. I want cheap, light and designed well enough to work.
    Off Road Ryder and AdamChandler like this.
  9. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    My Nav Bracket was less than $30 in materials and it is stiff and vibration free...

IMG_20190712_124609.jpg IMG_20190712_124615.jpg IMG_20190712_142434.jpg IMG_20190712_150422.jpg IMG_20190712_150428.jpg IMG_20190712_150735.jpg IMG_20190712_150750.jpg
    slackline and apexal like this.
  10. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Nav wire wasn't long enough to run as in the photo above. Here's how I ran mine:

IMG_0512.jpg
    nw_gser#0001 and AdamChandler like this.
  11. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    If you cut the cable ties along the wire you you will have more than enough wire. The plug where the wire connects to the harness is just below the TFT and on the right when sitting on the bike. The connector is white and easy to see. It would be just below Mater in your photo.
  12. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will check it out. I'd rather run my wire like yours.
  13. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't believe that I missed how the wire runs back towards the front, almost like BMW intended the GPS to be located in the logical place. I will re-run my wire tomorrow. Thanks SnoDrt!
  14. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Yeah you will have a loop of 8-12" of extra wire. I looped mine and cable tied it then stuffed it under the headlight and secured it.
    apexal likes this.
  15. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Just received my new crash bars for my GSA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Who makes those? The bottoms have no support bars which scares me a bit in a crash. Have you dropped the bike yet with these installed?
  17. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Wunderlich makes them but they are not available on this side of the pond yet. Ordered them on Ebay from a motorcycle parts store from France. 13k km on the bike and fingers cross, I did not drop it yet. Hopefully someone makes some kind of extra support for the bottoms, that would be nice.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wunderlich-Silver-Tank-Crash-Bars-BMW-F850GS-Adventure/333257505703?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bmw-f-series/f-850-gs/protection/paint-tank-protection.html
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    sweet thanks for the links. I wasn't insinuating they wouldn't last..hope you weren't offended. I just like some sort of upper support bar now for the energy to transfer through now the these bikes are touching 500 pounds in weight.
    BordenBmw likes this.
  19. The Gobbler

The Gobbler Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A quick walk around of the mods I have done to my F850

AdamChandler likes this.
  20. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gobbler, is that an aftermarket muffler? I thought that I saw a carbon fiber end cap on your muffler. And I would have liked to see the mounting system for your side and top cases. Otherwise that's for the great video! Maybe I'll try making a similar video one of these days.