F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Daechir

Daechir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With both vario panniers in the compact position then the mirrors are the widest part of the bike. So it's rather easy in the city.
    R_Marto likes this.
  2. mtbenson

mtbenson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right about 42” with the Trekker Outbacks.
    R_Marto likes this.
  3. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the Wunderlich lower engine crash bars installed. Euro5.
    IMG_9519.jpg
    coldclearsea likes this.
  4. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Then I guess the Vario panniers are a good option for the road/city. I've checked and even though they're a bit expensive, the fact that I don't need mounting racks compensates a bit.

Regarding soft luggage, I'm wondering why Shad SW42 aren't popular. They are very well priced, waterproof and look like they are nicely built with good plastic.
  5. Trirrad07

Trirrad07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i've been reading through other seat conversations in this thread and hoppin around some others here, but haven't found anything conclusive on my question.

is the stock seat on the F850GS adequate, or is it a "must" upgrade situation?

i'm 6 feet tall - 225 pounds, and ride with my 5'6" wife who is about 140 pounds... we ride a bone stock triumph street twin.. the rides start out fun, but around the 2 hour mark become miserable lol. the stock seat is just not good beyond that point.

i'm trying to figure out if i'd need to plan for an aftermarket seat option on an f850 immediately, or if i could wait a bit and farkle in other areas.
  6. tarheel rider

tarheel rider Tight Lines Supporter

Oddometer:
    My seat lasted maybe 200 miles! Sargent seat for me but I put Sargent seats on all my bikes.
    Trirrad07 likes this.
  7. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep an option in your favorites for a quick replace just in case, but I don't see why you should upgrade before you try. Go enjoy the sunrise and breakfast somewhere 2h out of where you live and evaluate after.
    On my Honda NC750X it was very (very very very!!!) clearly a must, so on my Street Triple I started looking immediately and turned out not to be needed (at least up to 2h).
    My GS arrives this week and I don't even think about it now, because all bikes and people are different. I'll decide after our first trip.

Also, I can tell you that my wife's feedback is that a backrest makes a world of a difference. Maybe that should go first if you have a top case.
    Trirrad07 likes this.
  8. Trirrad07

Trirrad07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is big. We actually went on a long ride with some other people on cruisers and different kinds of bikes. All the other pillion riders stopped at every break to make sure my wife was okay as she had no backrest, no top box, etc. I've been bike hunting for a while, but the entire search was built off of a need to find more comfortable options for my wife as a pillion.
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I ride without mine.
  10. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup. Me too. Switched to sports naked less than 6 months ago, but 1st Gen Street Triple is just too aggressive to ride with pillion. No matter what we tried, my wife always ends up on top of me and not in a good way or almost staying behind sitting in the air. So back to ADV/Trail style. I might get something sportier as a second bike later.
    But focus on top case with backrest, warm seat (or a vest might be even better, I thinking about one), Cardo intercom... and she'll be a happy pillion.

And I guess you also sleep in the garage afterwards... :D
    Trirrad07 likes this.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Just the way I like it!
  12. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine has her own F700GS.
    SnoDrtRider and Pch123 like this.
  13. matchlessman

matchlessman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As everybody's arse is different you should try it first. It might be perfect for you as standard. Do a few hundred miles then decide.
    Trirrad07 and R_Marto like this.
  14. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you find a solution? Givi and SW Motech quick release frames don't look like a solution as they will prevent you from using the Vario panniers (at least it looks like it from videos).
  15. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    My wife rides her own 750 as well. We are out on the road right now and have been out since last Saturday sitting at 800 miles so far for the trip.
    Phoenix101 and AdamChandler like this.
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Safe Travels
  17. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. okennon

okennon Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somewhere I saw a picture of crashbar bumpers or sliders. Basically rectangular plastic blocks attached at strategic points on the engine guards....sacrificial sliders . Any clue where to look?
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Crash protection for your crash protection??
    marc11 likes this.
  20. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've decided to install all the crash bars, sliders and engine guards I could find, wrap the bike in bubble wrap and park it on a hermetically sealed garage until I'm done making payments, then trade it in and start over.