F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    If you had done that with a vintage dirt bike back in the 70s and kept it you could have turned some good coin today!
    marc11 likes this.
  2. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And my baseball cards, Hess Trucks and sisters virginity too. Ah missed opportunities.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  3. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your sister!
  5. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So after hearing many opinions and seeing that there aren't that many options for softbags without a frame, I've decided to go for a Shad or Givi frame for my 850GS. The main argument that sold it for me is that the frame will also act as a rear crash bar off road.
    However, I don't see the point in blowing up the budget with aluminum cases, so for plastic stuff is there any recommendation? I was thinking probably the Givi Trekker. Always liked the looks.
  6. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    @R_Marto look at RMATVMC. The Tusk options are the least expensive and still good quality. A set of their aluminum panniers is $400ish.
    R_Marto likes this.
  7. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip, but I'm in Europe, I'd have to pay shipping and extra +-30% on anything coming from US.

I'm still debating myself with the Plastic vs Aluminum dilemma, as I truly believe plastic to be better for overall use and much cheaper. I've never had leaks even in heavy storms and I've landed 250kgs on my Givi plastic panniers with no damage. The new Givi Trekker II are going for 300-400 both side panniers. Don't know the difference vs the standard Trekkers aside from shape.
  8. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that. I didn’t think to see where you are. Lived in Germany three years. If a German orders from outside EU, package is delivered to customs Polizei office to ensure they pay 10% import duty plus 19% VAT.
  9. coldclearsea

coldclearsea Notorious rascal

Oddometer:
    This isn't my video, just stumbled across it, but it's a good rundown of differences between Bumot and Vario hard cases on our bikes, with dimensions etc, for anyone that's curious about the geometry or just what different options look like.
  10. Laoch

Laoch Am I still here?

Oddometer:
    Looking at mosko reckless 80.
  11. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are amazing. Locked on, tough, look good. Gotta figure out how to pack them- takes a few tries. On the 750 the pillion footrest and oem luggage bracket interfere slightly. It’s just figuring out where to place them and the angle to use. I got them dialed in.
  12. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    Nice looking kit if you can actually get your hands on it.
  13. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've compiled some tables with info on side-mounts, rear-mounts, panniers and top cases. The tables have measures and approximate prices in euros (for black versions). The idea behind it was to help me choose the best compromise in size/capacity, how much they would stick out to the sides and how much would the total system cost.
    I've excluded BMW, Touratech, Hepco & Becker and Wunderlich because initally wasn't considering them as they looked a lot more expensive. I think Touratech is the most reasonable by selling a full set of cases with exhaust cut out and all the mounts for 1390€ but couldn't find measures. Hepco goes for roughly 1700€, didn't finish the math for Wunderlich or BMW but it looked like it was going even higher.
    SW Motech is incomplete as it was the last one to be considered, couldn't find all the info and some cases with cut out might be misleading in the sense that you can't just sum rack width plus case width.

cases_data.jpg

This lists full prices with mounts and stuff. I've still to add columns with final luggage capacity and final bike width.

cases_final_prices.jpg

Info in CSV format:
    https://notepad.pw/share/c2nmhu0u2
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    ssilliman likes this.
  15. R_Marto

R_Marto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    AltRider headlight guard arrived in the mail today. Very nice piece of hardware, worth the price. Install instructions should suggest removing windscreen and upper fairing pieces, near impossible otherwise but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Overall very happy so far. 96E656AF-5FD8-4116-A5A6-59A0C39B7DD4.jpeg
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    Some Outback Motortek crash bars arrived on my doorstep last week and I finally got around to installing them. The product seems very robust, welds are of good quality. Looks nice installed, not excessive but should provide good protection if needed.

Install on the other hand was pretty bananas. Not in the ‘this is very difficult’ sense, but in the ‘no install instructions were provided, and the YouTube install video has many errors and omissions’ sense. As an engineer, one of my pet peeves in an unnecessarily large number of fastener types. On top of the OEM T55 and T25 which can’t be avoided, install required 8mm, 10mm, and 13mm sockets, 10mm hex bit, and 10mm, 13mm, and 17mm spanners. Which…is a lot, and many of which where not mentioned in the YouTube install video OM put out.

They also call out the wrong torque spec for the two OEM T55s, which are absolutely critical fasteners (engine to frame). Should be 100 N•m, *not* 47 N•m.
    I’ll maybe replace all the hex head bolts with socket head cap screws when I have some time.
    Anyway, sorry for the long post, here are some pictures. A46C6E95-823E-486E-AD0E-E9FAA22033FE.jpeg

Attached Files:

divimon2000 likes this.
  18. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I agree with you 100%. they are not the only ones that do that. I guess it’s all a balance of what you want – bars that cover a certain part of the bike, looks, fewer tools.

Did I already ask you what skid plate that is? Still can’t find any in stock that are fairly low profile. (For new euro spec.).

If the bolt torque on the 55’s are for Outback’s bolts, you sure they can handle 100nm?

Lookin good.
  19. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    You think crash bars use a lot of tools, do the swing arm service on a C650GT. Half your tool box is used
  20. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Not sure if you already asked about the skid plate, but it’s the BMW accessory aluminium one. Not as robust as some, but perfect for my use.

The two T55s are the OEM bolts, they just go back in. Otherwise I’d have the same concern. Last thing you’d want to do is break one off in the engine!
    divimon2000 likes this.