F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    You think crash bars use a lot of tools, do the swing arm service on a C650GT. Half your tool box is used
  2. coldclearsea

coldclearsea Notorious rascal

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Not sure if you already asked about the skid plate, but it’s the BMW accessory aluminium one. Not as robust as some, but perfect for my use.

The two T55s are the OEM bolts, they just go back in. Otherwise I’d have the same concern. Last thing you’d want to do is break one off in the engine!
    divimon2000 likes this.
  3. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    Haha well, it’s not so much that it used a lot of tools, just in this case would have been very easy to design for fewer. For instance, the M6 bolts to connect the cross bar could have been M8s like the other connection bolts.
    Not a big deal, I’d buy the product again. Just something I always aim for in my own designs.
  4. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    Some Mosko Moto gear arrived yesterday. Took a bit of playing with the tank bag to get lower mounting points I was happy with but I think the end result looks pretty clean and feels rock solid on there. Just need some PPF under the straps and I’ll be good to go with that. A2225583-FE02-46B9-9A11-76D8A647C932.jpeg
    K7TNT likes this.
  5. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    Got the Reckless 40 too, which is still a work in progress, but will be perfect once I have it sorted. Only bummer was an incorrect buckle on one of the straps, but I’m hoping they can get the correct one sent out soon. Young company I guess so assembly QC isn’t dialed in yet, but the overall build and material quality seems excellent. 77D00995-530F-4985-8C40-A4D11EEEDDA5.jpeg
  6. okennon

okennon Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't know about other states but Virginia vehicle inspection will not allow any obstruction ,including clear plexi over headlights or fog. I've learned to remove those items before arriving. Quick disconnects make it easier.
    coldclearsea likes this.
  7. jrm927

jrm927 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there any way you could post a picture showing how you attached the straps under the front of the seat? I was going to mount mine that same way but I ended up routing the straps down and attaching them to the black frame members instead using the provided tie-wraps. After using it that way for awhile now, I've noticed that the straps rub on the inside of my legs so I'm interested in rerouting them using your approach. Definitely use the PPF underneath the straps, my paint is a little chafed where the straps have been rubbing.
    coldclearsea likes this.
  8. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    Sure thing, here you go. I just used a small zip tie around each tab. The supplied ones were too wide, but I think these will hold fine. Not sure what those tabs are actually for, but the bosses underneath keep the zip ties from sliding off. And the seat locks back down just fine, that was my main concern before I tried.

Attached Files:

PSYOP SGM likes this.
  9. PSYOP SGM

PSYOP SGM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a good idea, I may change the routing of the straps on my Tusk tank bag to match that.
    coldclearsea likes this.
  10. jrm927

jrm927 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That looks much cleaner than the approach I used. I'll probably re-route mine this evening and try it that way for awhile to see if I like it better. The only possible downside I foresee would be more side to side motion but it's probably irrelevant.
    coldclearsea likes this.
  11. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    Swapped my stock (vario style) rack for a GSA style rack, partly so my Mosko Reckless 40 would sit a bit farther back and not hang over the pillion seat, and partly so I can mount a top case without a bunch of extraneous hardware. Everything will get a good shakedown next weekend, going through the Rockies down to Vancouver Island for a bit.
    Edit: for anyone that’s curious, the torque for the 4 M8 mounting bolts is 23 N•m. They had some loctite on them from the factory and breakout torque was about 25 N•m.
    E33B0A91-F7B1-465B-B109-E80B0A8A3487.jpeg

Attached Files:

12. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 850GSA. I’m getting ready to mount some aux lights and looking for location ideas. Anyone whose done it in an 850 adventure I would like to see where you mounted them and how you like them. Thanks.
  13. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just home form the MOA rally. Loving my set up on this bike. 58EDF6FA-B38C-4E89-9C6A-0A7CE275E81D.jpeg
  14. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    20D4FDB6-D696-4E59-A026-D3164D87B490.jpeg

I bought the Wunderlich upper bar and mounted them there to be safe from tip overs.
    coldclearsea and AdamChandler like this.
  15. coldclearsea

Oddometer:
    For anyone curious how the Mosko Moto Reckless 40 sits on our bikes, here’s a shot from my weekend excursion. I’ve got the provided heat shield on there, but it’s not even needed. Nothing on the system comes close to the exhaust.

Of note, you do really need to set this up on the rear rack rather than the pillion seat on this particular bike. The front attachments sit far enough forward that if you had it on the pillion seat, there would really be no practical forward mounting point. Which for me is fine, I wanted it on the rack anyway, but something to be aware of. C4372E76-B1DE-437A-BD83-9ED4EAF854A8.jpeg
  16. PSYOP SGM

PSYOP SGM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to installing my SV-Motech crash bars. Super easy install. Motech crash bar.jpeg
    coldclearsea and AdamChandler like this.
  17. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    So this story isn’t about a K8x, but K7x. The part is also available for K8x. I can’t say enough about @BlackDogCycleWorks products. I have their sump guard on both my 800GSA and 850GSA. Did some serious off road riding in Big Bend this weekend. I didn’t think it was possible, but I put a good size dent in it. Lesser guards could have resulted in a very large wrecker bill and large repair bill.
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  18. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    And no pic?
    Always wanted to go to Big Bend. Maybe one year I can catch the MotoGP race in Austin and rent a bike for a few days.
  19. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    87415D80-4DCF-4A9E-B021-046BF5B2990C.jpeg
    K7TNT and coldclearsea like this.
  20. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the shout-out and hearing about our plate keeping you going after a hit. Working as intended :D

Thanks again for choosing one of our skid plates!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com