F750/850GS Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by apexal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EB82AED6-04DC-43E1-A2C4-288AACC1CA98.jpeg BlackDog working for my 2021.
  2. Mdh01

Mdh01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what this plug is? I have a slight oil leak and it seems like it may be coming from this location.

plug.jpg
  3. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    View attachment 3070246 View attachment 3070205
    That plug accesses the end of the crankshaft to allow you to turn it during valve adjustment. If you have had the valves adjusted recently return to the person who adjusted them or just remove the plug and either install a new seal ring or just some sealer. View attachment 3070205

I anticipated your next question... Looks like and "O" ring to me and here is the Torque Spec as well...

Screenshot (119).png Screenshot (121).png
    loony888 likes this.
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, that is why I didn't know off hand what the plug is. I never turn the engine over that way. Always remove plugs, shift to top gear, and use the rear tire to turn the engine. One less possible oil leak to worry about.

Nice I noticed in the diagrams that the 750/850 may have adjustable camshafts. May have to bring home the tool to set cams.
  5. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    K7TNT likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Altrider's Radiator Guard is going on!

[​IMG]
    K7TNT, coldclearsea and marc11 like this.
  7. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the video, may have to get these for my GSA.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    marc11 and coldclearsea like this.
  10. loony888

loony888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are the Trailmax mission working out for you?

I'm ditching the god awful Hidenau's and putting those on mine as soon as i'm allowed out of the house again......
  11. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the Trailmax very much. Looks like they will have good longevity. Good on the dirt roads as well as the twisties .
    coldclearsea and loony888 like this.
  12. jrm927

jrm927 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey BDCW,

What is the weight of the BDCW skid plate for the F850GS including mounting brackets, hardware, etc.? I looks very beefy (heavy) and I'm hesitant to add additional weight to this already overweight bike.
  13. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I used mine thoroughly over the past week. A Kriega 20 fits on top if needed.

27224AA8-E9CF-42EC-B790-99F298A865C3.jpeg F4D89EAB-F53E-4F52-A924-5A4C2785E930.jpeg
    coldclearsea and Phoenix101 like this.
  14. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the mount, it's about 11lbs. As other riders will tell you, you likely won't notice any difference in handling or feel of the bike with the additional weight, especially since it's very low on the bike.

If you are planning to ride in areas where you will encounter rocks, whatever you decide, beef up your skid plate. Your bike will feel very when pushing it due to a cracked case :-)

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    Mdh01, SnoDrtRider and Phoenix101 like this.
  15. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Black Dog said. The added weight is very low and I didn’t feel any difference between the BMW aluminum thin thing and Black Dog. Don’t be a KLR owner and be cheap with important stuff.
  16. coldclearsea

coldclearsea Notorious rascal

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

17. jrm927

jrm927 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I realize the weight is low and I agree that I probably couldn't tell it's there but 11 pounds is 11 pounds. I come from a lightweight backpacking background and I'm tired of adding weight to an already overweight bike. I replaced the original thick plastic plate with the BMW aluminum plate and I think the weights were pretty comparable between the two for what I perceive to be better protection. I've added the following weight significant items - upper and lower crash bars and rear pannier racks (Touratech), Mosko Backcountry panniers and tank bag, BMW Vario top case, GPS bracket, Madstad windshield and Barkbusters. I've also done one of the few weight reduction mods - lithium battery! :clap I already can't pick up this bike on my own, and this is one sleepy bike when trail riding with me as the pilot. It's taken over a dozen naps with no damage other than crash bar scuffs and a couple of broken levers (before I replaced the BMW factory windscreens with real guards). Are there any published incidents of the factory aluminum plate failing to protect the engine? Cost has never been an issue regarding modifications and I don't tend to ride too much rocky terrain so for now I'll stick with what I've got. If I ever punch a hole in my engine, I'll regret this post...

Attached Files:

AdamChandler likes this.
  18. coldclearsea

coldclearsea Notorious rascal

Oddometer:
    One could replace the factory resonator with a link pipe and save 10 or so pounds, if one really wanted to add a heavy bash plate and was worried about the weight.

I’m with you though, I’ve got the BMW aluminum bash plate.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    After my trip on the Big Bend River Road and Chloride Canyon I won’t ride off road without a Black Dog or possibly an AltRider skid plate. Like Cold said, do the link pipe and use a dry duffel on the bag instead of top case. That top case is 20 times more perceivable weight than any two sump guards. I ride F800GSA and F850GSA’s off road.
    coldclearsea likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Stock F750GS Tips:
    • Remove Resonator
    • Change muffler
    • Install Lithium ion battery (10 pounds)
    • Remove some guards like front wheel, chain guard

that's probably going to get you the most bang for your buck but anything else sort of compromises comfort, looks, performance.
    coldclearsea likes this.