1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

F750GS 3A1061 - Fuel Pump throws red error code on TFT

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AdamChandler, Aug 9, 2020.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    The below happened yesterday on a 300 mile road trip over 3 days, Heather pushed the power button, clicked the starter button and saw this. Once she turned the bike off and waited a minute, back on, no issue. She thinks she may have pushed the start button too soon after hitting the power button? but either way, this screen never came back on and we started the bike maybe 10 more times since then and no issues. I plugged in GS-911 today and saw that this is indeed the fault code that kept the bike from starting but occurrence only is 1 so it hasn't happened more than that.

I'm curious, this seems like a one-off so we're just gonna ignore it for now but I think if it happens again, I'll have BMW take a look. Thoughts?

Fault Codes : 1
    |
    3A1061 : Electric fuel pump internal low side short circuit to battery voltage
    Currently present : NO
    Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
    Frequency count : 1
    Logistic(Healing) count : 38
    ..Fault Code History :
    ....Record number : 1
    ....Odometer : 1384.5 mls
    ....Absolute Time : 16777215
    ....SAE Code : 0
    ....Engine RPM : 0.0 rpm
    ....Speed : 0.0 mls/h
    ....Battery voltage : 12.82 V
    ....Fuel pump voltage : 8.33 V​

This is not my bike but it is what error we saw:
    [​IMG]
  2. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Your probably right. It is probably due to an incomplete start up check system.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Old habit but I always wait 2-3 seconds before starting a motor after turning the key to let the fuel pump prime. Probably not as necessary now but I do it anyway. Bike has way more warranty left so we'll just see if it ever happens again.
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I always wait until the display settles down before I start... Once things stop it's time to start.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I do what several others have noted - I usually wait for the main display "splash" to clear out to the normal RPM/Speed display before starting ... looking at your error log, I note an 8.33V at the fuel sensor. I'm going to bet between the 30 degrees (BRRR) + the handgrip warmers were set to '1' (drawing amps already), and the system was still coming up that you've got a low voltage which makes sensors do strange things and get strange readings. If it were my bike or my wife's I'd be comfy in saying - give it those 5 seconds before starting in the future and especially on a cold day when the battery is being challenged even more than usual.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    "30 degrees + hand warmers"??
    I didn't see that...

Also where the heck are you?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He says that the image was not from his bike, so I don't think the temp and grip statement apply. - "This is not my bike but it is what error we saw:"

Maybe do a few rides with the GS911 datalogging and see if it picks up anything unusual.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    correct, heather didn't take a photo of it but I know what it looks like color is red and it says serious engine fault or something like that. It's generic which forces people without a fancy GS-911 to go to a dealer and fork over money.
  9. bobwolff68

Oddometer:
    Ahhh - I mis-read your comment about it not being your display - I was like...DUH it's her display! :D I'll try having more coffee before reading these things in the future.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Honestly no big deal at all but I think you made some excellent points as I definitely ride in sub-0C temps quite often. Heather, not so much. She's certainly a warmer weather rider. I told her we should get her some hippo hands and she said "what'd you call me?"
  11. bobwolff68

Oddometer:
    :jack Sounds like my wife's responses to stuff. But seriously ... low voltage on these super digital systems really throws a wrench in things. I discovered recently when I was testing my jump-pack starter that my bike complained about a suspension fault but it only complains when the jump pack is the only battery and it just doesn't have enough volts+amps to maintain the system during startup so the voltage drops super low despite starting and throws a code. Re-attach the main battery and it's all fine. (as a real-world example)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    My only complaint here isn't the electronics, it's how BMW chooses to report them to the user. Someone who is not mechanically savvy and does not have a $400 GS-911 scan tool will see a bright red error take up the entire TFT "serious engine malfunction" and freak out. They'd call a BMW dealer, get their bike towed there, lose 2 days on their trip all because the pump didn't fully prime yet or see the voltage number it wanted to see. I think BMW needs to take advantage of a rich full color TFT and provide more granularity even something like an error code so the rider can call a dealer, give the code and get advice in real time for how critical it really is. The call I got from heather is "my bike is broken and I think we need a tow truck" BMW needs to rethink this system. It comes at the cost of dealer revenue but made things sound way more dire than they really were.
    bobwolff68 likes this.
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately this is a carryover from their car business as well... My 400 horsepower twin turbo V8 threw a serious engine malfunction message similar to yours, and went into limp mode - on the interstate - 400 mi from home!
    Having already read about this exact problem I took the next exit, turned the engine off, waited 60 seconds and turned it back on and all was fine for the 400 mi drive home. Hasn't re-occurred in 3 years since.
    But your point is valid, anyone else might have pulled over on the side of the highway and called the tow truck.
    bobwolff68 and AdamChandler like this.
  14. bobwolff68

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Software folks need better understanding of how hardware reacts in the real world to make this happen though. And that's too often not the case. Deadlines dictate things... My wish is that BMW is constantly learning such things and reincorporating the knowledge. Especially when there are common systems like this between many bikes. The sensors and the display can both effectively advance without a single change to the hardware.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    The problem is they have to err on the side of being conservative, and no liability. Dealers can't make any positive determination over the phone. Say if they tell the owner "it's probably fine just keep driving", and then the engine blows up... Then what? Already any error or mis-diagnosis by the dealer gets owners crying foul and posting horrible things about their dealership on forums...
    I know in the automobile world the codes displayed often have nothing to do with the actual issue... Unfortunately.
    I think these machines are just getting too complicated to easily support, like everything else in our lives these days.
    cgguy09 and AdamChandler like this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    It's impossible for someone who was born in the 1800s to time machine to 2020 and get through a day. It's amazing how much complexity we have to deal with just to turn off our alarm, make a cup of coffee and go to work.
  17. bobwolff68

Oddometer:
    So true, so true. And so I enjoy being a troubleshooter kinda guy & having access to a forum like this to bounce things off of others with more (or different) experience than myself.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    BTW I intentionally made this post with this title so to help anyone out there on the road that does have a plug and can pull codes and googles it :) Sort of a goal of mine to make forum posts if I can't find one to help future travelers.
  19. bobwolff68

Oddometer:
    Same here man - between forum posts and Youtube videos documenting repairs and maintenance. Great keywords make the internet smarter. :jkam
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yes agreed, same here, and nice job. Using the English language to it's potential and all... Too bad it's not a universal skill!
    AdamChandler likes this.