F7GS vs Honda NC750X (DCT)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by vasuvius, Sep 8, 2019.

1. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    I'm toying with the idea of getting the NC750X DCT. 90% of my riding for the past few years has been commuting. In the evenings, it's mostly 1-2 gear with constant clutch/de-clutch to the point where my hands are dying. Some days I get home and my left hand is numb/tingling for an hour.

I went to a dealer and sat on the bike just to get a feel for it. The saddle is a tad higher than the standard F7GS height which is fine for me. Weight is comparable in the 470 lbs range. Gas mileage is a bit better - 70mpg vs 57-60 on the F7. It's probably a characterless ride but the power at 55hp should be sufficient for US highway speeds.

Looking for feedback / input from people here who have tried riding the NC750X DCT.

Thanks, V.
  2. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    I had an NC700X a while back and characterless is certainly accurate. Of the 14 bikes I've owned, it was the only one that I couldn't wait to get rid of. It had a manual tranny with 52 HP and was painfully boring. My F700GS is leaps and bounds better. The Honda may have been trouble free forever, but it just felt gutless and very cheaply made. Like comparing a BMW car to a base Jeep Renegade. When I bought the Honda, it just seemed so practical, right down to the full helmet storage in the upper tank location. Early reviews pointed out how much more underpowered the DCT was compared to the manual. I thought the manual was underpowered, so I couldn't imagine how bad the DCT would be.

Different wants and needs for you and me maybe, but it didn't work for me at all. Given your criteria, you might want to drive a few scooters. My friend has a Honda Silverwing and really likes it.
    vasuvius likes this.
  3. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    @Tigershark48 - I hear you. I did consider a scooter but it's a bit tricky. My commute is 23-25 miles each way. Parts of it are highway speeds 60 -75mph. The low speed sections near the office (Jersey City) are terribly pot hole ridden roads. Miles of the commute involve lane splitting over bad roads. I'm not sure that a scooter with small wheels can handle all that. They're also heavy and long. The smaller scooters can't handle the highway speeds.

Maybe I should try to figure out a better / easier clutch for the F7GS.
  4. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was going to suggest a rekluse. I'm happy with mine, it's a godsend in traffic.
    Ducatijim and vasuvius like this.
  6. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    I should check it out. Is it hard to install ?
    Ducatijim likes this.
  7. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The extra fuel the F7 *may* use over the Honda wouldn't add up to a hill of beans and life is simply too short to ride a bike with less power than the F7. That said, you might want to consider the Burgmann 650.
    vasuvius likes this.
  8. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NC750X is very good and practical and economical bike, did over 50k km on manual but ridden also DCT. To like it you have to understand the engine which is different from most bikes (based on car's motor) and know how to ride it. It's very torquey at low rpm and you don't rev it high. NC750X for commuting, town, shopping is perfect bike.
    55hp is more then enough, you can still get close to 200km/h if you want to.
    SnickterP and vasuvius like this.
  9. dpike

Oddometer:
    Nah, it's easier than some of the other stuff you've done, should take about 45 minutes, no special tools needed.
    SnickterP and vasuvius like this.
  10. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    I forgot Rekluse. Perfect solution. :thumb
    Ducatijim and vasuvius like this.
  11. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but it was grossly under powered for me. The DCT model weighs in at 500 lbs wet. It also would lose to the F7 in ride comfort, since it runs smaller 17" tires and gives up over 1" of suspension travel. Plus, it has a 60" wheelbase which would make lane splitting more challenging. I'm happy you liked yours, but I believe the F7 with rekluse would be a better choice for the OP.
    vasuvius likes this.
  12. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I have a NC700x manual. I got it for commuting. In my opinion, it is one of the best commuting bikes out there.
    My ST1300 was killing me with engine heat and heavy clutch pull. By the time I rode 13 miles home from work, I was sweating and my clutch hand was killing me. Now with the NC700X it is SO much better. No engine heat. None. Nada. And an easy clutch pull. The NC has the weight way down low. It feels 100 lbs lighter than it is.

I agree that the bike is quite tame. 50hp is plenty power, but the bike ‘rolls on’ the power rather than ‘snaps you back’ like a more sporty bike would. The motor is more like a diesel tractor motor. I like it because it is very different. I test rode the Versus and a FZ-07 and preferred the low revs of the NC in the city and running errands. If I need unlimited go, my ST has 100+ hp.

JT
    Dellaster, vasuvius and BronNowo like this.
  13. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Which reinforces the point of how personal our choices are. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean it's bad. Test riding is the best policy. This thread offers lots of observations to investigate during a demo ride.
    JT105 and vasuvius like this.
  14. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone. I like almost everything about the F7GS except for the clutch in heavy traffic (and the saddle). I've already added a long list of things I'd wanted on the bike. The rekluse will be the next project.
    Ducatijim, SnickterP and JT105 like this.
  15. dpike

Oddometer:
    Good choice, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. If you have any questions on the install feel free to shoot me a pm or a text if you want.
  16. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Will do.
  17. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late curve ball, have you looked at the KTM 690 SMC R? 130lbs lighter at the same HP? Seems to be that kind of zippy splitting machine you need.
  18. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    I’m actually thinking about a test ride this week on a 790 Duke. Travel is less along with 17” wheels, so it might be a spine crusher, but the weight drop makes it worth investigation. The SMC R has longer legs, but I’m not enamored by the tall, flat seat. Other than weight, it’s hard to beat the comfort of the F700.
  19. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    The dealer I visited had Honda, Yamaha and KTM.
    All the 690 and 790 were sold. The next years supply of 790 has been sold as well according to him.

I was (and am still) considering the 690 Enduro R or SMC, but the seat height is challenging. 33” inseam is tough on 37” saddle height. And at my weight there is no give when I sit on the bike. Not great for a commuter where there’s stop and go and sometimes stopping on the lane separator between cars that are too close.

I think the Rekluse is the next step.
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  20. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    My interest is a 790 Duke. Two of my local dealers each have had one for sale for a while now. The Adventure models are all bought out, but I don’t want a 21” wheel for my highway riding. I had one on a Tiger 800 and the F700 19” is far better through curves and corners. If the Duke is too rough, I’ll pass.
    vasuvius likes this.