F7GS vs Honda NC750X (DCT)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by vasuvius, Sep 8, 2019.

1. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    The rekluse clutch arrived yesterday. I should have time this Saturday to complete the install.

On the box it says “Only for off road competition use” - is this something I should be concerned about or just typical lawyer CYA for the manufacturer ?
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    it's fine on the road. a couple things to note...
    you can't park in a gear, if you're concerned about the bike rolling while on the side stand use the strap for the front brake that they provide.
    the clutch engages with engine rpm so in certain situations the clutch will be not engaged because the rps aren't high enough, just blip the throttle and it will spool up, the first few times this happens it might take you by surprise. i tend to ride a few 100 rpms higher than i did before the clutch.
    you can be completely stopped and in first gear, BUT.. there will be a small drive pull on the bike, enough that if you are on a slight downslope you'll need to pull the clutch lever. don't get lazy and forget about this
    my rekluse preferred castrol's semi-synthetic over full synthetic
    adjusting the free play gain is pretty easy don't over think it ... use the band, rev the motor, measure the lever movement.
    vasuvius likes this.
  3. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    Based on the numbers and the Rekluse chart, i guess the simple rules are
    1. To engage clutch keep revs above 1800-2000 rpm
    2. To disengage clutch, let the revs drop below 1800 or manually actuate (pull in the clutch lever)
    I guess it will take a few rides to retain muscle memory. I am curious about the oil though. How do you sense that a certain oil did not work well for the clutch ?
    I've so far only used Motul synthetic. No issues. Will I need to change the oil after I install the Rekluse? Guess, I'll find out.
  4. dpike

Oddometer:
    It chattered a bit when cold when I used one brand of synthetic oil, it doesn't mean it will happen with yours or you should use semi synth, I just noted it.
    Your oil will need to be drained to replace the clutch, I generally don't reuse oil that I drain so that choice is yours.

*edit*
    this is what the adjustment on the cable looked like when completed.
    [​IMG]
    i wasn't completely comfortable with it having to be set at the limit, but after digging around a bit this was common.
  5. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    Wow.
    I might lay the bike on the right side or lean it against the wall so I don't have to drain the oil ?
    With me, it will be a couple rounds of undo-redo before I get it right. Will change the oil after everything is setup and broken in.
    Gas tank will be close to empty after tomorrow's commute. So, I'll likely not have gas spillage either from laying on the right side.
  6. dpike

Oddometer:
    Your call on laying it down, for me it was just easier to drain and change it while it was on the centerstand with the left side shimmed up a little with plywood. I had a fairly tight space to work in so having the bike standing helped.