F800/650 GS Bash Plate - TourTech Failure

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GOROVN, Dec 1, 2008.

1. GOROVN

GOROVN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have (had) a Touratech bash plate mounted to my 650. On a moderate ride yesterday, all four rubber mounting points broke leaving me with a flapping piece of aluminum. After looking at how the mounting points work I can see why it failed so easy. Metal studs are secured about 1/4 inch into each side of a 3/4 inch piece of rubber. The bolt doesnt go all the way through the rubber.

So, this leaves me needing a more functional bash plate or mounting system. What are people using and what do you think of them?

It there any reason to keep the rubber mounting points? Would aluminum spacers of the same thickness be detrimental? What about rubber mounting points that a bolt goes all the way through?
  2. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    there WILL always be a failure point, and those mounts are a sacrificial part. Personally, I'd rather, and have, replace a $5.00 or whatever mount. If you go with solid mounts, you run the risk of driving that solid rod up through your engine block.
  3. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    What is the ground clearance on the 650? I can't find that spec anywhere. I guess I could go down to the BMW shop with a measuring tape........
  4. GOROVN

GOROVN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can measure tonight. Mine is the lowered suspension model (which i am fixing with a new rear shock as soon as it arrives)
  5. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Oooh, yeah, I wouldn't get a lowered model on a GS, especially the 650GS. I do like the lowered F800ST, but then, that doesn't require going over rocks.

I think most of the early 650GS's were lowered because they assumed it would be a 'girl's street bike' and the guys would all get the 800GS But it's such a good bike, I want it for its semi-off road qualities, not to mention the 800GS being just too tall to be easily managed for the short of inseam.
  6. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree completely on your post. I am not quite sure how to order replacement hardware. Does TT or Wunderlich sell it separately? There is no mention of it in the catalogs (paper or online). Do you find this stuff separately?
  7. GOROVN

GOROVN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I called Touratech...the parts are available and in stock. $5 a piece. I ordered an extra set of 4.
  8. ]I)Money

Oddometer:
    the BMW stuff comes 3 to to a bag, P/N 11117682158. (this is actually the R1200 number, and you need to order 2 sets to get 4, but they are $8 per set, vs. the $40 set for the F800 hardware...) My SW Motech plate also came with it's own hardware, but it is functionally identical to the BMW stuff. It is worth noting that, though, if you're on a 650, which wouldn't have it's own hardware to scavenge.
  9. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great piece of trivia on those rubber filled inserts. The other purpose is probably to reduce noise. Every dirtbike I ever had had an aluminum bashplate bolted to the frame. The engine noise and vibration was focused upwards and it was very noticeable. For sure, since the bashplate mounts directly to the engine crankcase, and if it was solidly bolted to the crankcase, with bolts and metal spacers, it would be possible in a hard hit for the bolts to break off in the crankcase, or break the boss right out of the crankcase...in any event....a massively $$$$$$$$$ problem.
  10. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it is going to be tough enough to hop a rock or log with then do you figure? How much shear force can that rubber take? More specifically, how'd you break yours off?!
  11. ]I)Money

Oddometer:
    I broke two of them coming down off of cinnamon pass. I was gunning it a bit going over the big rock slabs, and catching a little air. I misjudged one, and landed right at the bottom of the dip, which caused a me to bottom out, HARD. (but it was fun!:deal :lol3 )

The other two tore when I bottomed going over a sharp step on Schofield pass. they probably wouldn't have, if the other two weren't already torn, but when they did, the one in front with the long aluminum extension punched a hole in my oil filter.
    [​IMG]:eek1

In each case, they were pretty hard hits. And, if I'd carried spares. like I do now, That one wouldn't have happened.
  12. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    That must have sucked! Did the computer give any warning of a drop in oil pressure by chance?
  13. ]I)Money

Oddometer:
    I didn't really need the computer; I had this notification:
    [​IMG]

It was mostly downhill from where we were to Crystal; I rode most of it with the engine off, to conserve oil.
  14. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about this skid plate?

[​IMG]
  15. ]I)Money

Oddometer:
    the damage was on my 12. the point was about the dangers of solid mounts. Sorry if I confused or misled.
  16. GOROVN

GOROVN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that is the one i have and the one that has the issues that sparked this thread.
  17. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point.

I have not mounted mine yet but I pulled out the hardware and instructions to see how it's designed.

If the skid plate were mounted to a frame instead of the engine case, rigid mounts would be safe. I personally would not take the chance of using rigid mounts fastened directly to the case. I'll just buy a few extra "rubber-metal-elements" from Touratech.