F800 clutch not fully disengaging after oil change.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Mauser556, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Mauser556

Mauser556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Changed the oil and I'm having an issue when I out the bike in gear that it's trying to go forward even with the clutch all the way in. Also having a hard time shifting it into neutral. Goes straight into second with a lot of effort to push up. If I rev the engine it gets easier.

I still have enough slack on the cable. About 3-4mm.

Oil is shell rotella t5, 15w-40.
  2. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems to me that is a car oil right? That means it won’t have the correct additives to allow the clutch to work correctly which is causing your drag.

You should change the oil to cure this.

I would advise using the cheapest motorcycle oil within spec you can find to do an oil change to try to flush out all the old oil and then change that almost immediately for a good quality oil that is within spec
    cgguy09 likes this.
  3. Mauser556

Oddometer:
    Its desiel oil. Last oil change I used the same oil and weight.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  4. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is definitely the wrong oil then. Obviously being designed for a diesel it won’t have any of the additives that deal with a wet clutch as cars have dry clutches.

Not sure how you got away with it last time though?

Original advise stands I think, change it twice, first with cheap oil to spec, second with a good quality oil to spec to ensure you flush out any of the current stuff as it could do some damage to your clutch plates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cgguy09 likes this.
  5. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me you might have overfilled
    Rotella is fine
    Thiusands use it in 1200 GS

I suggest checking fill spec against quantity you put in
  6. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most of the 1200s have a dry clutch, only wet since they went water cooled

Daryloftexas and cgguy09 like this.
  7. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Yes and the wet ones are the ones using Rotella
    It is fine to use
    BygDaddee likes this.
  8. Mauser556

Oddometer:
    I might have overfilled. I used the last of one jug, and filled from another, plus marvels mystery oil. First check said low. Put more in and it was a little over max. Didn't think it would a problem.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  9. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Youe engine capacity is 2.9 litre with and including a filter change. A little over wont hurt but a lot will. When you checked it the first time was the oil hot or cold. There is a correct procedure for checking oil Qty in the manual. If checked cold it will entice you to overfill.
    Cheers
  10. fara

fara traveling danger

Oddometer:
    Shell Rotella is not within BMW spec. In my part of the world BMW spec the oil to be 15w-50 JASO MA2. As well as being slightly to thin when hot, Rotella is a car oil. So it is lacking additives for wet clutch. OP is probably having problem with sticky clutch plates, so probably Rotella is not fine.

You put whatever you want in your bike, it is your money. But please don't recommend others to use a off-spec oil. A off spec oil could cause long term problems and repair costs.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  11. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Actually Rotella T5 is a diesel engine oil, diesel engine oils have the same friction modifiers as wet clutch motorcycle oils

Rotella has a JASO MB rating, not quite as good as the JASO MA2 BMW recomend but a slightly offspec JASO doesnt damage an engine

I know a few guys who run Rotella in bikes with no issues
  12. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also doubt it will damage the engine but it will damage the clutch and if the shifts become hard to do the the op runs the risk of damaging the gearbox if applying too much pressure etc. As the clutch won’t disengage.

Oil isn’t a big expensive in the overall cost of running a bike so why not use the right oil??

You will also invalidate any warranty I guess.

13. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    This is rubbish. Jump onto the 1200 forum and find the thousands of owners using Rotella in wet clutch Gs. Dont make things up if you dont have the experience.
    Lot of veryexperienced owners successfully using Rotella in wet clutches. No issues with clutch disengagement.
    THIS IS NOT THE OP,S ISSUE.
    MITOK and BygDaddee like this.
  14. zwebx

zwebx n00b

Oddometer:
    if its grabbing there has to be a reason.. call me old fasion but id say change it again *probably wont do anything* and then pull the cover to see what is going on.
    on second thought could it be a indication of the oil filter being placed wrong and reducing oil volume/flow?
    it may be when you drained the oil you left it for a long time and the clutch pack got dry.. if so its a matter of time and a little abuse before every clutch pack gets lubed enough to not drag.
    do not have much experaince with the 800 gs but it states dry sump system in the specs... maybe even debree clogging the oiling holes..

unrelated but..
    on my trials bike it takes a good few minutes to loosen up the clutch.. its actually a common thing to drop it into first (crawling gear) and then end up through the fence into the next doors yard

also pics if you do pull it apart.

and to avoid this becoming a oil thread.. friction modifiers that is what you do not want.. states it on the blend on the bottle some diesel oils are perfect for wet clutches.
    besides if it was that the only way it could cause the symptons would be from overheating prior to shut down.

also imo dry sump systems can be little hard to guestemate so i would start again and measure how much went in to the recommendations in manual..
    you most likley didnt go out and buy a gs just to go to starbux so im going to assume this aint your first rodeo.
  15. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Marvels mystery oil? Overfilled? Non spec oil? What could possibly be wrong? How about a Fram filter?
    zwebx and Daryloftexas like this.
  16. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I've been running this stuff when I can't find Mobil 1 moto oil. Clutch seems fine albeit for the change in exhaust odor.

Seriously - if you aren't sure on the amount you put it...drain and do over. And leave out the extra additives. Just put good proper spec oil in and ride.
    zwebx, BygDaddee and Pch123 like this.
  17. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    You guys who cut corners to save a dollar make me laugh, especially when posting anecdotes that nothing bad has happened so far justifies it, or even worse, that others on the internet do it, so it must be okay.
  18. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about that, it happened after an oil change and also importantly not on a 1200? I am also not making up the specs of the oil just quoting facts. Your posts seem to be opinion based as opposed to fact based. I guess if you are true we might see a lot of clutch replacements on 1200's coming up in the future!!

I found the information in the image below on the following website: https://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php which seems more credible than your opinions, at least in my opinion!

I am sure the guys that design these bikes know what they are doing and sign of oil specs based on very precise scientific methods. Or maybe they just survey the "thousands" of 1200 owners of this forum and choose the oil specs those people are actually using?

Its up to the OP what to do and oil is very personal but at least put in the minimum spec advised by the guys that make the bike!!! oil JASO.PNG
    fara, cgguy09 and Tigershark48 like this.
  19. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly my thoughts. MB is the wrong oil. Proof on label above. Change your oil to MA verifying the correct fill level with hot oil and move on. If the clutch still fails, it’s not the oil.
  20. Mauser556

Oddometer:
    When riding, the shifts aren't hard, very smoth. This is the third run running this combo, but I might have overfilled it to a degree. I'll try to pull some of it off (not a lot). I did check it when the engine was warm.

This was recommended by another f800gs and f650gs rider who has put a lot a miles on his.

Funny thing is, when I got the bike, it had the bmw 15w-50 and it was hard putting into neutral and would not fully disengage almost the same at stop. Oil change solved that problem (Castrol 4T at the time).