F800 GS chain

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by gary138, Jan 29, 2009.

1. gary138

gary138 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, What is the 800 gs chain size?? I would like to bring a spare for one i'm renting. What brand does BMW use ?? Would a DID work ??? I have a 520 and 525 hanging around
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  2. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    525 116 links , bmw use a cz chain. DID x ring:clap

3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    how long are you renting it for? the odds of it failing are slim. Are you carrying all the other, more likely spare parts too?
  4. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    two things:

+1 on the likelyhood of that chain failing. it's so rare... it'd be like carrying a spare rear wheel. unless of course you're attempting to put 10k miles on her. if you're REALLY that worried, carrying some extra links and a chain tool would be the most i'd go.

+1 on the DID x-ring. good for 15k. most excellent chain.
  5. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMW F800GS chain drive has proven flawless so far. The few (and I mean 1 or 2) cases of failure on the F800GS are from bad chain maintenance (user error). i.e. loose chain, which caused the chain to jump on the sprocket. This would tear apart a chain on any bike.

The V-Stroms have just as many problems as the BMW's as the KTM's as the Kawasaki's........

On the DL650 and DL1000 I've heard of the ABS failing, Swingarms not lubed from the factory, Fuel Injection/Engine Management problems, etc. No different than any other bike.

A lot of us just choose a BMW F800GS because they ship with higher quality parts (better suspension - Sachs and Marzocchi, Rotax engine, Brembo brakes, better ground clearance, etc.), are far more reliable, and they're more fun to ride and more capable than a V-Strom!!
  8. gary138

gary138 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's all I plan on taking... I'm not sure how many miles are on the rental or how well it's been taken care of, I did let them know I will be putting 5k miles on it. Did I forget to mention that I'll be in remote areas of South Africa??
    And what other spares do you think I should take besides tire tubes ? When I travel on my bikes afar I take throttle/brake cables, all sensors that do not have a fail-safe mode etc. BUT I don't want to buy all kinds of thing for a bike I don't even own..