F800GS-A What in the HELL crash bars to use???! Crash bars sh*t list

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Apollo7, May 1, 2019.

1. Apollo7

Apollo7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

so, I bought the F800GSA 2014, want to be taking it off-road but can't find any decent brand doing crash bars for it???

I'm planning on about 8000km trip, mainly offroad, I want something I can drop, repeatedly..
    Am I being too demanding here? Please tell me there is a brand that actually works which I have not managed to find.. I'm begging you

Liked the Altrider ones - not available for the Adventure model
    (if anyone at Alrider is listening, can you please, please make the GSA version!)

Here is why I don't like what, haha, been researching it for like a week to become more and more displeased, considering steel bending and welding course now hahaha

Heed - mounted onto the engine - really don't want that, both the lower bits and the cross section

Outback Motortek - doesn't do a GSA version

Touratech - I'm really not keen on the connection they're using to the OEM lowers, also, don't like the OEM lowers, would prefer full crash bars system
    https://www.advpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/F800GS-Adventure-Upper-Crash-Bars-561x374.jpg

Adventure Spec - the cross bar section? If there were two links.. maaaybe, but one cross section link relying on what looks like two tiny m6 bolts?
    https://www.adventure-spec.com/default/adventure-spec-crashbars-bmw-f800gs-adventure.html

SW Motech - is that a joke? Seriously?
    https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/Crash-bar-Black.-BMW-F-800-GS-Adventure-13-.

Givi - "hellooooo? motorcycles have an upper section, handlebars, fairings and all that?"
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIVI-CRA...203784&hash=item2aae1ea073:g:FewAAOSwRWRbPlIL

Wunderlich (made by Hepco-Beker for both HB and Wunderlich)
    Actually kinda like those, but after a ton of emails to both HB and Wunderlich and speaking to both them and their dealers I'm still unclear on whether the bottom section for F800GS works with the upper section for the F800GSA and neither are they apparently. There is no bottom section listed for the GSA, only the upper which possibly only works with the OEM bars

Wild@Heart don't seem to be doing anything for the GSA so not gonna get onto what I don't like about those..

What else is there??
  2. Kfish1977

Kfish1977 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you covered most brands and I cannot think of any others. I’ve had the touratechs on my f800gs and like them. Your gonna find that all crash bars mount to the bike in kinda the same way. Its a motorcycle and there aren’t many ways you can mount to the bike. If you crash hard enough that you break most crash bars, doesn’t matter the brand I would think you got bigger problems. I would find a brand i like and put them on and go for it..
  3. Apollo7

Apollo7 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm just really pissy with it because clearly you can do a good design (Altrider), it's small details going a long way in the long run, I really like "fit and forget" things so still a bit hopeful there is something out there that I will be similar to what Alrider does
  4. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for the Adventure-spec. I think the bolts are 8mm. I have never had a high speed off but it has been on its side a few times without distorting the bars ( just a few good scabs and scars )
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I've had ADV SPEC crash bars on mine for more than 5 years and have dropped it about a million times (i have short legs and ride technical terrain at times). I have never had the slightest issue with the bars or how they function. I can't say enough good things about them. IMO they are very well-built and plenty sturdy enough to do what they are supposed to do- protect the cases, plastics, controls and you in a low speed crash. And they are relatively inexpensive. I don't think that any crash bar is going to protect everything in all circumstances. You live in the UK and they are based there. Buy them. You are over-thinking this.
    XTremeRide, Rider 101 and The Maz like this.
  6. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    +1 on the ADV Spec. Mine have been on my 2014 gsa since new and have been slid down many a dirt track.
    @Motoriley slid his f800 down the highway and has a video praising them.
    bozmotodual16 and Motoriley like this.
  7. Daryloftexas

Daryloftexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    puig makes some good ones, I can personally vouch for their durability. the only thing i dont like about them is theyre a little close to the side fairings (which was a selling point for me) and its a little difficult to get the side fairings off without scratching them.
  8. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry I read it wrong
    Nevermind my post
  9. jdryden78

jdryden78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had a chance to test them in a drop, but like the fit of my Heed bunker bars 20180526_155158_resized.jpg
    CobraSnakeNecktie likes this.
  10. CobraSnakeNecktie

CobraSnakeNecktie Coachella Valley SoCal 2014 F800gs

Oddometer:
    Can't go wrong with the HEEDS bunker bars. Great price, fit and strong. My only advice is don't final tighten anything until you have all the bolts in because I had to wiggle them a little to get the last bolts.
    Merlin32 likes this.
  11. SpaffyPD

SpaffyPD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you like good design try to find a used set of Staubwolke bars. Sadly, I think they went out of business.

I have Staubwolke on my GSA and I have SW Mototech on a F700GS- and the 700 was a practice bike for a motorcycle school. So it was slow speed dropped on pavement and dirt numerous times. No complaints at all! They aren't a joke on the 700 my bike never got a scratch! They might not look as study as others, but did their job and them some.

Have HEED bars on an R1150RT- STOUT. Just a PITA because I have to take them off to change the oil on the 1150. Shouldn't have that issue on an 800, but keep ease of service in mind if you plan on doing you own work.

Don't forget to add some real handguards. I swapped my plastic GSA ones out for barkbusters... But if you want over-engineered look at Highway Dirt Bikes handguards.

+1 on the don't final tighten until all bolts are started.
    morfic likes this.
  12. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Puig remind me of Altrider, just with loose spacers instead of welded on. With Arrow headers I had to redrill the connecting screw hole for the cross bar. Other than that no issues with it, just can't decide if I want them back on or not, spooked by people ripping off the lower engine mount points with stiff guards. Maybe I put them back on after I'm done taking fairing off frequently.

All in all they work well if you let the bike nap from a standstill.
  13. Coach Z

Coach Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had the touratech bars on my 16 GSA and having done a tough BDR as a new rider I dropped the thing tons and they both held up and protected the bike. I'd take a good hard look at them.
  14. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about Staubwolke. I have them on my GSA and my wife has them on her GS. Kept the bike off my leg during a low side after a cow walked into the road on me. Even transferred them to the new bike...a little bent.

Also a great place to rest your legs on the long slab stretches.
  15. Ayada

Ayada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My adventure spec crash bars (and skid plate) have worked great. They do tend to migrate to one side of the bike if you fall too many times on one side, but nothing a good drop or two on the other side hasn't fixed yet.
  16. Apollo7

Apollo7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for all the comments. I have stumbled upon Staubwolke indeed loved the design hahaha, sadly yes, they are no longer being made thus I've not mentioned them :(

I've ended up going for the Adventure Spec after the great feedback they're receiving right left and centre, further reading up on the HEED I've found some mixed reactions to
    how they actually handle in a crash which weren't too positive and since I'm planning some really long adventures, durability is above all haha.

Also considering getting some hardcore rubber blocks to mount on the bars to further help the impact force distribution, anybody looked into this?

Seems that aliexpress is copying TT designs and others when it comes to small protection bits, ordered bunch of stuff such as reservoir covers, brake pedal extension plate, headlight grill etc. etc., it's getting a good rep so figured will give it a go for the little money they're asking compared to TT and such. Will let ya'll know how is it when it arrives. Wouldn't buy crash bars etc from them but for the small bits seems a great option
    morfic likes this.
  17. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    My experience with the adventure spec bars was really good. They did move left and right when given a good fall but always protected the bike. When I removed them after hundreds of drops and a few actual crashes the body work was in great shape. The only paint damage was from branches getting caught between the bar and bike a few times.

QUOTE="Apollo7, post: 37564091, member: 419201"]Thanks a lot for all the comments. I have stumbled upon Staubwolke indeed loved the design hahaha, sadly yes, they are no longer being made thus I've not mentioned them :(

I've ended up going for the Adventure Spec after the great feedback they're receiving right left and centre, further reading up on the HEED I've found some mixed reactions to
    how they actually handle in a crash which weren't too positive and since I'm planning some really long adventures, durability is above all haha.

Also considering getting some hardcore rubber blocks to mount on the bars to further help the impact force distribution, anybody looked into this?

Seems that aliexpress is copying TT designs and others when it comes to small protection bits, ordered bunch of stuff such as reservoir covers, brake pedal extension plate, headlight grill etc. etc., it's getting a good rep so figured will give it a go for the little money they're asking compared to TT and such. Will let ya'll know how is it when it arrives. Wouldn't buy crash bars etc from them but for the small bits seems a great option[/QUOTE]
  18. Apollo7

Apollo7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ordered them, arrived next day, they've managed to wrap them not too well and got a little chipped in transport

Really decent customer service, ranged them up and they've offered to exchange them right away, but since I'm planning on a trip this weekend where I want to use them I couldn't wait till
    Monday for the new bars to get here, offered me 25% refund. Looks like a really good product and a really decent customer service, thumbs up to them
  19. tigerfx

tigerfx n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm looking into crashbars for my f800gs also. The bmw ones are the same price as altrider and others. So why not just got BMW?
  20. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Years back i was confronted with the same decision. I went with the Hepco Becker ones because the take up the look of the tube Frame the nicest way imho. Others may have more fairing protection, but for me they served well in 100.000km of ownership so far
    upload_2019-5-11_18-44-13.png

A nice place the coast of Wales is, isn`t it?