F800GS AF-XIED

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ebrabaek, Nov 11, 2013.

1. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although it is not needed, if you have the BoosterPlug installed, you have two choices:

1) Leave it in, install the AF-XIED, ride

Or

2) remove the BoosterPlug, RESET YOUR BMSK, install the AF-XIED and ride. In this case, you have to wait a while for the Adaptives.

RB
  2. kapenagary

kapenagary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Roger. Having read this entire thread and a few others, I'm planning on leaving the BP in. If things don't work out, which I doubt, I'll remove it and try again. But I think you and others were pretty clear that it's OK to leave it in.

Can't wait to get the bike back and try it out.

Thanks for all the information that you and others have provided about this product. I accidentally stumbled on to this thread and with all the positive reviews on this product it seemed like a no brainer.

Gary
  3. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used these on my Harley with mixed results but it is really too bad that they can't get the fueling straightened out on these bikes. Last fall I picked up a 2013 DL650 and the fueling is spot on, no low, mid or high speed issues. The manufacturer really got the fueling dialed in right. You just twist the throttle and it goes, no farting around.

The only long term issue I see using this type of setup is that it will be harder on the cat and the o2 sensor as the bike is running a bit richer.
  4. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    :d
  5. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't comment on the Harleys and there are many devices in the XIED family for those bikes. This is a different unit than those. What I had Steve at Nightrider do, was to take his computer-based AF-XIED for Harley (not the resitor matrix that most buy for Harley) and then rewrite the software specifically for the BMW motorcycle product line plus develop a new cable interface. We have had at least one test rider for each BMW bike that he and Beemerboneyard sell it for.

I can tell you for sure that the AF-XIED for BMW adds fuel effectively and permanently because we have checked it against an Innovate LC-1 on the Motronic MA 2.4, Motronic MA 2.2, BMSK and BMSC BMW ECUs. On everything but the Motronic MA 2.2 we have logged extensive data with the GS-911 to confirm the AF-XIED's harmony with the ECUs. (The MA 2.2 doesn't have the ability to report real time values to the GS-911.)

The beauty of this device is that it is plug and play, and unlike the Techlusion or Powercommander, it adds just a little fuel but it does so in harmony with the BMSK/Motronic as opposed to working against it like the T and PC.

On settings 7 (4% more fuel) or 8 (6% more fuel) there is a little unburned gas in the exhaust but each time you decelerate, the bike gets very lean (overrun fuel cutoff) and the cat gets recharged with O2 so some cat function remains.
  6. xsf18cdf

xsf18cdf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the full Arrow system and can't find a skid plate...

G
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers...... I had to modify mine as well.
  8. kapenagary

kapenagary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got to test out my AF-XIED today on my 800GSA. Did around 90 miles half highway and half up in the hills in first, second and some third gear roads. What a difference! Everything seems so much smoother. Up shift and down shift and then giving it gas really is super smooth (or else I'm a better rider than I remember).

Still on first tank of gas and set at 7. Don't know about MPH or HP but the bike is really smoother and I think I can ride at a higher gear then in the past.

Thanks for a great product.

Gary
  9. finehomebuilder

finehomebuilder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got new F700 GS. Changing to 16 on counter sprocket. Only 100 miles thus far, but did notice snatchy throttle. Where do I get it?
  10. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    A guy in Australia with the handle Quirky put one on his F700 and he says it transformed his bike. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22460475#post22460475

You can also find it at Nightrider.com who builds it, or at Beemerboneyard who sells the product.
  11. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    At highway speed, an indicated 120Kph, what's consumption like with the AF-XIED? Bearing in mind I sit on 120Kph non stop for about 3 hours quite often.

I fitted the Touratech tank and my consumption increased. I think that's because the frontal area increased by a lot.

So I can carry heaps more fuel, but at higher speeds I use heaps more fuel to carry it.

If you follow my drift.

How much worse will the AF-XIED, in a ball park estimate kind of way?

Thanks
  12. YrianX

YrianX Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Snowy, I have the AF-XIED and running a 15t front sprocket.

Doing 120kph is about my cruising speed to and from work and depending on wind and up/down hill I get a consumption average of about 6 liters pr. 100Km. (47 mpg) maybe slightly better for those stretches.

With the AF-XIED in general I get an average consumption for my gas tanks of about 4.8l / 100km (58-59mpg) on mixed riding.

Per.
  13. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm running a 17 front. I was getting an indicated 4.4l/100 before fitting the touratech, and after I get 5l/100.

That's not accurate though. If you go off the litres per fill and work it out it's about 10% better than that. But it gives a good ball park figure.
  14. Quirky

Quirky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you need it mate, on the 700 you wouldn't believe the difference! Wife couldn't be happier with it either. The throttle response, torque gains and even the note coming from the exhaust is brilliant. Setting #7 and it hasn't even made it use more fuel far as we can tell.
    My 1200 likes the AF-XIED just a little bit but at setting #7 it's got smooth fat power but I found it using too much fuel and now have settled with #3 for just slightly smoother control than stock and is actually giving me better fuel economy than stock.

Hi Roger!
    Still experimenting with it on the Husky TR650. It was a good thing until just a couple of weeks ago. My dealer didn't reset the TPS parameters after de-restricting my bike (imported as standard learner approved for Oz). Since this little procedure improved my bike dramatically, so far since, I have found crazy amounts of fuel consumption at setting #7 and a huge improvement in top end rpm's when on #3 and fuel usage was more normal. It's all I know so far.

Cheers,

Q
  15. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised by the setting 7 vs setting 3 reports but trust that your observations on feel vs fuel are correct. With all those bikes you have you should get a GS-911, that would allow resetting of Adaptives and monitoring of the lambda control factors, but it's only a "nice to have".
  16. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    So Roger ... I have an AF-XIED on my F800GS and I'm really impressed.:clap I also have an adventurised XChallenge. I'm finding that I prefer the XChallege for my solo Adventure Rides because you don't give up much on the road and its nicer off road. So I'm thinking of replacing the rear air shock on the XC with a Hyperpro and transferring the AF-XIED over to it as well, then replacing the 800 with something like a MultiStrada for roads and pillions.

It's obvious that I'll be able to use the AF-XIED on the XChallenge because it works on a Husky TR650. Do I need different cables to connect it to the XC?
  17. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that it worked out!

The XChallenge uses a BMSC engine control unit versus the BMSK that's on your F800GS. The big difference is that the BMSC switches +12V to control the heater power and therefore can't be used to power the XIED. The result is that you need a different cable. The new cable provides a tap for +12, in addition to the lug for Ground.

Also, can you post a photo of the O2 sensor connector on the Xchallenge. I believe it is cylindrical and about a half inch in diameter and that the female half of the connector is on the O2 sensor.

There has been a proto cable built and shipped for this configuration. You should contact Mike at Beemerboneyard to see about getting one (or Steve at Nightrider).
  18. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so hows the mpg....now that yer enriching the mixture from stock?
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the beginning I lost about 3-5%, but for some reason I am at 8-10% at the moment, but as we switched back to summer fuel in the desert for a true comparison, I will have to admit that I have not ridden the bike for over 2 months, as I have been away on airplane busyness. So I cannot tell if the mileage have returned to the 3-5%. I hope so, as 10% is not acceptable to me. Good thing I am bringing the plane back on June 9, so back in the saddle I go.
  20. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's no reason that adding 6% closed loop fuel should cost you more than a 2-3% drop in fuel economy. Half the added fuel finds oxygen and burns in the combustion chamber, the other half at speeds above 60 mph probably goes out the tailpipe. Below 60 you will probably run a higher gear and about break even.

3% of 50 mpg is a 1.5 mpg loss. On my bike I seem to get about the same mileage at 6% added.