F800GS at Arkansas Glory Hole Sat 4/21?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by TroyWolf, Apr 23, 2012.

1. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    Get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about this glory hole:
    http://www.takemytrip.com/09southeast/08n_51a.htm

I on my white F800GS and my buddy on his yellow G650 XCountry rode down the ATV trail to view the glory hole off Hwy 16 on Sat 4/21. Most folks park off the highway and walk the 1.5 miles down and back up (about 3 miles round trip). With the right vehicle and skills, you can motor almost all the way to the hole. It's an amazing sight--stop to see this if you can.

Anyway, on the ride back up, we passed a man walking down. As we came out onto Hwy 16, I saw his white F800GS parked there. I'm sure he was thinking "WTF? I could have ridden down here?"

Was it you?
  2. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    Now that's funny ! ! ! I'm going to the Glory hole this fall on my 1150 Adventure and like you will ride as far as I can to it.
  3. TroyWolf

Oddometer:
    I just got back from that amazing weekend of riding and have about 200 photos, 20 video clips, and lots of waypoints and notes. When I get my ride report put together, I'll send you a link as it will include a waypoint for what I'm pretty sure is the furthest point you'll ride your 1150. It's just big enough a spot to turn the big bike around for the climb back up. We stupidly went about 30' past that point and the trail become passable only by trials bikes with a skilled rider (moto-gods excluded) It took both of us to turn the bikes around.

The ride down and up was actually really easy except one tiny stumbling point where the trail crosses a little stream ditch on a 80 degree turn. Definitely doable for good riders on an 1150, and if you have at least one buddy with you, no worries for sure.
  4. TroyWolf

Oddometer:
    If you are in your car, park at the highway. If you are in a good 4WD, park here at this little clearing with the sign. If you are an ADV rider, continue on!

[​IMG]

Note, I may have tweaked the photo slightly!
  5. TroyWolf

Oddometer: