F800gs Bent forks. Do 2013 forks fit onto a 2008 model?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by leepalevv, Jul 10, 2018.

1. leepalevv

leepalevv n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

My first post. I've recently purchased an f800gs and noticed it pulled to the right. At first I thought, that's just gonna be the rear alignment but no, moved onto the next idea, tyres, nope... So after loosening the front fork pinch bolts to see if the forks just needed alignment I noticed the right fork jumped inwards towards the wheel considerably until the brake caliper wouldn't allow it to move anymore, uh oh, I thought. The fork is clearly bent and has been pulled forcefully into position and tightened on the pinch bolts to hold it into a straight position, though it still pulls on the axle and causes the sideways steering pull. I'm annoyed by this point as it looked like a cover-up, so I send the previous owner a message asking whether he knew about this.

From what I can think of, repair options are as follows:

- Fork straightening from Maidstone Motoliner in the UK for £144 a pair.
    - BMW service centre - I phoned them and they said the lower stanchion alone costs €840 and then there would be a charge for diagnosis and fitting, so i wouldn't be surprised at a bill near €2k this way
    - Drop in replacement forks - There are a few on ebay atm for the 2013 onwards model and so I'm wondering if these fit the 2008 onwards model and would be an upgrade, making it more worth it.

Any thoughts, opinions, or advice is very welcome.

Lee
  2. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    2013 will not fit a 2008.
    In 2013 the forks changed to a 43mm WP whereas the previous fork was a 45mm Marzocchi.
    I paid around 1200cdn for one new fork leg(complete ready for install) from BMW.
    When I bent the other side, I found one on ebay for less than half that.
  3. leepalevv

leepalevv n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's definitely useful to know as there is on ad on ebay for forks for a 2008 - 2017 model and I thought that sounded strange.

1200cdn for a whole fork is far better than it costs here!! Right next to Germany in the Netherlands.
  4. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Just one fork leg.
  5. leepalevv

leepalevv n00b

Oddometer:
    Got a reply from the seller, I believe he didn't know it was bent. He drove with the disc lock on and destroyed the caliper. He took it to the BMW service centre in Amsterdam called Henry Meijer and they charged him €700 to repair it. He was incredibly apologetic that the job wasn't done properly and is going to call them today for an explanation. I'm astonished it could leave a mechanic like this, let alone a BMW service centre. Heads up people, always check the work yourself.
  6. leepalevv

leepalevv n00b

Oddometer:
  7. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. leepalevv

leepalevv n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, as I thought. Yeah I also looked at that listing, too expensive, plus the import duty here in The Netherlands is something like 30% plus a handing fee of 5%, it's ludicrous. I'm going to a place to get them straightened on Tuesday, praying that will work. Otherwise there is the option of just getting the steel tube and rebuilding the fork. At €1000+ for forks definitely seems worth the effort.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-...850232?hash=item5d4d8a0838:g:THMAAOSwCcZZ7Bd0
    todd900ss likes this.
  9. leepalevv

leepalevv n00b

Oddometer:
    So perhaps a very revolutionary update; I found some titanium triples for the f800gs on advdepot, and they list compatibility across all years. Here is the product: https://advdepot.com/products/ttr-by-kite-racing-triple-clamps-kit-f800gs-4

So I emailed them saying that the forks are different for the earlier and later models and asked how they can fit both, they replied the following:

'Thanks for contacting us regarding this. You are correct, the 2013+ forks are different, however they kept the tapered clamping area the same external diameter. We've sold a handful of the triple clamp kits for the 2013+ models, and have worked fine for our customers.'

So with this information, I've concluded that the newer forks---although different---will fit on the older f800gs, as long as the bottom axle mount is the same. From the photos I've studied they do look the exactly the same. Would anyone here be up for confirming this with me? It would open up a whole lot more front fork modification opportunities for every f800gs owner.
    todd900ss likes this.
  10. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point, all model years share the same part number for the fork bridge.
    leepalevv likes this.