F800GS Bitubo Fork Kit

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by DockingPilot, Jun 1, 2009.

1. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Been emailing some vendors asking questions.

Ohlins USA say they have a bolt in kit from thier road race suspension that they have been testing with BMW. No machining necessary.

Anyone look/try the Race Tech stuff? They have some interesting looking equipment.

David
  2. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it! :clap They're also close enough I can just run my forks up on a lunch break (well, a long lunch but...). I'll probably wait a bit before getting mine re-done but get the compression damping softened up a litle bit while they're at it. I'll trade some brake dive for more compliance off-road.
  3. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I'm using most of my travel, but not bottoming. Also not feeling the small trail trash anymore either.
    Rebound isn't perfect, but alright.
    Yesterday's ride was very "different". I was pretty in tune w/ the old set-up. Now it's changed. I won't put any worry in the situation until the Elka shock is installed. Then it will be time to get serious w/ this bike.
  4. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
  5. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
  6. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    I was quoted $1650.
  7. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info....pretty pricey but I'll be curious to see how much people like them.

8. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    motocd.com has gs suspension replacements. He just did the forks and shock on a 800. Top notch shop and one of the few suspension shops that has a shock dyno in house. He specializes in dual sport/ adv bikes and track bikes. Hes doing my forks right now. cartridge internals with compression, rebound and spring preload adjustment.
  9. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Cogent Dynamics rox.:thumb I'd send my forks there for sure.
  10. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. Maybe start a new thread and keep us informed. :ear

11. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes please keep us informed! I wanna find the best front end replacement... :ear
  12. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Mate of mine got Maxton in pom land to do the Hypermotard forks, way cheaper than anyone else and good kit, have these guys been thrown into the loop for consideration?
  13. foul plug

foul plug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey John, Any ride time on the Elka? which model did you go with.

Saw a GS8 with Ohlins system on the forks @ the International MC show yesturday. Had rebound and comp adjustments on the tops but guys didn't know much about them (Altrider).

Spoke to a Ohlins rep (fast bike industries) who said it didn't seem likely Ohlins would bring that set up to market:huh

I'm pulling the Traxxions to have them revalved ($100). I set them up with the soft and can't get much comp damping out of them even under full damp adjustment.

and the search goes on.......
  14. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Its the USA Ohlins team that is doing this projects. See the link.

Ohlins USA

Link to page for F8GS kit.

David
  15. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I've put my trust in one shop. They have dealt w/ my Bitubo fork cartridges and supplied me w/ my Elka shock.

Long story short, I'm happy.

http://www.cyclemall.net/
  16. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Thought I would bump this thread. Well I scored a brand new set of Bitubos for 50% off so the decision was easy. Tossed the useless instructions and followed the excellent videos found in this thread. I did refer to the service DVD for torque settings. Took exactly 2 hours from start to finish and that included cleaning up a little oil spill ( :cry ) and keeping three kids entertained painting on my workbench. First little ride where I tried to hit every hole and bump seems to show that they are more plush. Less dive under braking as well. Will give it a real test this weekend. Bike is definitely sitting higher.
  17. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Check your sag/preload. Suspension travel hasn't changed, so proper sag should be the same.
  18. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    They do sit higher even without any preload. It became an issue, so ran the tubes up. Ultimately I swapped springs to an Ohlins .55kg. The spring is shorter and the set up a little plusher.

I have only managed to bottom them 1 time at 195lb, but I ride like an old man.
  19. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    My bike sits higher w/ the Bitubos. The stock springs wouldn't even hold up my empty bike.:cry
  20. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Went for an actual ride with the new bitubos in. I was surprised how much better the bike felt on road as I had a 45 minute ride to the meet up. Less harsh and the bike felt less wallowy in the corners. Don't really care as the stock setup worked well enough for me on road anyways. We hit the trails and did a little rough and rocky gravel, a sandpit, an old rail line with lots of whoops and some deep water. Flooded out a DR650 and an HP2. Bike was a lot nicer to ride, front end didn't dive as much when hitting the base of steep obstacles. On the whoops the front was way better so I notched up the speed but that just made the rear shock feel bad. Overall the front just worked but i really started to notice the rear kicking. It is set to max damping and about 8 clicks back from max preload. I think I will put it back to a little softer as I'm guessing as you crank the preload it can't damp it out. Not sure if my logic is sound but the rear seems to work better when set with less preload. There was a stock f800 on the ride with the same seat and when i sat on it it was much lower. A good inch plus and his fork tubes were at max not at the scribe line due to excellent new bike setup from our local dealer....