F800gs extended warranty

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by selecus, Mar 17, 2009.

1. selecus

selecus --------

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

First off want to say thanks for all the great advice, opinions and general entertainment. Have been mostly observing on this site, but have learnt a lot! Placed a deposit on a gs a few weeks ago, it will be arriving late April, super psyched. Researched everything fairly well I think, but can't decide whether I should go for the extended warranty. I'm pretty impressed that it comes with 3 years standard, just wanted to get some opinions.....

Cheers!
  2. blackie

blackie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i got an extra 4 years... at the time it was why not? now that the money's sunkk, whew glad I got it
  3. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Why not wait till it's 35 months old? What's the big hurry?
  4. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    Any reasons why you are grateful?

Issues or simply peace of mind?
  5. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I've never bought an extended warranty on anything, Period :1drink
  6. marty hill

Oddometer:
    I haven't either.
  7. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figure when you buy an extended warranty, you're betting it will break, and the manufacturer is betting it will not. And they probably know more.

On the other hand, the peace of mind may well be worth the cost to you.

I agree with the previous post - I'd wait for 35 months. You might not even like the bike, and it will be gone by then. It could be so stone reliable you will decide you don't need an extended warranty. Or it could be such a piece of #*$& you will sell it before the standard warranty expires.

I considered the same thing with my 05 GS. It was a major piece of #*$& quality wise while it was still under warranty, but when the warranty expired a little over a year ago I decided to take a chance and didn't buy the extended warranty. So far so good (knock on wood).

Enjoy your new ride when you get it. I've taken short rides on the F800S and ST, and that engine is a sweetie.
  8. John Spartan

John Spartan Middle Age Crazy

Oddometer:
    So, from those of you who did get the extended warranty, what did it cost?
  9. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's no such thing as "the" extended warranty.

Extended warranties are not offered/ sold by BMW, but by several aftermarket warranty companies retailing either directly to customers, or to customers through BMW dealers.

If asking for comparison/ cost, be sure to name the warranty underwriter, the coverage terms/ details, the cost, and whether purchased directly or via dealer.
  10. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    i bought it for mine. peace of mind is a nice thing. i've sold home audio/video for 15 years. i sell extended warranties. i've never bought a tv or camcorder without one.
  11. GreyDR

GreyDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as extended warrenties go, they are pure gravy for the seller. I think the latest stats say that only 5-15% of all extended warrenties are ever clamed. So, you spend the money and usually never use it. If you've got the extra cash, are fairly certain that you will have this bike a long time, why not. I would recomend that you make sure it will trasnsfer to the next owner if you sell it.
  12. selecus

selecus --------

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys, but I still can't decide, I'm leaning towards no extended warranty though. Guess it'll be a game time decision!
  13. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't have to decide when you pick up the bike, do you? Why not wait and decide later?
  14. marty hill

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm not understanding. 1st day or 35th month...no diff! Well one small diff, you get to keep the $'s for 35 months. What a concept.:lol3
  15. mtbiker

mtbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I work at a motorcycle dealership. I sell alot of extended warranties to my customers. There is a reason why the manufacturers give you so much factory warranty. They know by folllowing warranty claims from the dealers how long something is going to last without many failures. With most extended warranty companies you get tow reimbursement and roadside assistance during the factory warranty period. Plus travel reimbursement! There really isn't much advantage to waiting till the factory warranty is getting ready to expire. Most people get busy in their dailey lives and forget about it until there is a problem with the bike. Some warranty companies also charge a service fee if you wait too long into the factory warranty. Make sure that the warranty you buy is good at any dealer that sells your brand of motorcycle. Most reputable dealers jump on warranty work because they get paid well by the warranty co.. If the dealer gives you some flack their service probably isn't going to be very good either. I make sure that all of my friends buy some warranty when they buy their bikes. Most have thanked me for it. Also, when it is time to sell or trade your bike it is a HUGE for your resale value. Make sure that it will transfer! Good luck!
  16. easyman05

easyman05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure you got all the details clear on coverage - here BMW Russia does not cover shock absorbers and batteries under warranty. Neither exhaust cans.
  17. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    I got one when I bought my bike, mostly for peace of mind, and partially because I was splurging on my first new bike in a very long time...with, admittedly, little research.

While I'm not salty on the descision, I wouldn't do it again at the time of purchase. It was that much more that I had to finance, that much more that I'm paying interest on, and the odds of something breaking between year 4 and 7 are low, especially forecasting from year 0. ...AND...if something *were* to break, I'm a somewhat accomplished grease monkey, so I could probably just fix it myself anway. My +4 year warranty was something like $1.3 or $1.5k. More or less 10% of the bike.

IMHO, wait until your factory warranty is going to expire. At that point you'll have a pretty good idea what to do.

FWIW, more than once I've had warranties save me on electronics.
  18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    As an auto mechanic I see 'aftermarket' warranties all the time. You need to be VERY careful when reading the policy wording. Often they will cover very little although it appears otherwise when you purchase them. A classic example is a gasket failure. You read the policy and it indicates coverage for let's say the head and valves. So your head gasket springs a leak. No problem right, should be covered you think. When you read the fine print it comes to light that it covers the hard parts but not the gaskets. That's the sort of stuff I'm talking about. IMO most times people never get their money's worth from an extended warranty. (The odd person definately does though!)
  19. selecus

selecus --------

Oddometer:
    You can do that?!
  20. marty hill

Oddometer:
    See your in Canada/different wty period and rules...not sure. Ask your dealer and ask other guys from Canada.