F800gs, F650gs "special" Pricing?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Osm3um, Dec 7, 2008.

1. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Can't believe it. 800GS price going up $450 on bikes delivered to dealer after 1/1/09. :deal
  2. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    There is already a $450 delivery fee on the bike. This is nothing new. And its quite possible that you will pay a dealer document preparation charge. This a little buffer for all the admin paperwork stuff they have to do and to increase their profit. I paid them both and don't feel bad about either. I wanted the bike and they had it. Basic supply and demand economics. I'm sure that you can haggle on this stuff but that is not my bag. All in all, I was in the dealer ship 2 hours max from the time I said I want it to the time I took delivery. None of this well let me go talk to my manager and then they come back and give you a discount of $150 bucks and you waste 2 hours for basically nothing.
  3. Nemesis

Nemesis just ride the damn thing

Oddometer:
    Actually, the destination charge is $495, has been for over a year. And the F800GS base MSRP is going up by $475, completely separate from the destination.

:deal
  4. marty hill

Oddometer:
    Funny, I could not believe how badly he misunderstood what I said. I also paid none of those fees and as usual paid much less than msrp.
    Should mention that I bought mine over the phone, why waste 2 hours.
  5. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Oh so your phone conversation was only 5 minutes. I think not. How many times were you on the phone etc... Seriously. So your a great negotiator, big deal. I have no problem paying what I paid. And since the price is now going up I guess I'm ahead of the curve.

So I put my foot in my mouth I'm so sorry. Certainly no reason for any bashing to begin. I'll leave this thread to the experts.
  6. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    And I guess neither of you is an expert since one is saying the cost is going up $450 and the other is saying $475. :rofl
  7. marty hill

Oddometer:
    You still don't get it. Your wrong!!! He explained it properly/you even misquote the numbers. No one is bashing you. You have misunderstood and misquoted everything both of us have said.

The $450 is a price increase as of 1/'09.
    The $495 is a shipping charge since the bike first arrived in the US.

By the way it was one (1) 5 minute call.
  8. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Duh I said I was wrong! I guess you don't get it either. You said the price increase after January to be $450 he said the price increase was $475. We are done with my stupidity. If you can't figure out what I'm saying then I guess that only points out how easy it is to misunderstand something! Wow I can't believe you totally misunderstood what I said! :lol3 The prices that you both gave in #21 and #23 are not the same. So I guess I didn't misquote anything. So are you changing your mind now and want to say the price increase is different that what you said in your original post?
  9. marty hill

Oddometer:
    Thanks for catching my typo but that changes nothing.
  10. LDHunter

LDHunter Long timer

Oddometer:
    If y'all will stopp the pi$$ing contest, then maybe we can all learn something here.

It is, has been, and probably always will be well known that some people do and some people don't know how to negotiate.

It doesn't matter WHAT the dealer says about price increases, shipping charges, destination charges, administrative fees, discounts on accessories.

Negotiate based on OTD (Out The Door) price plus applicable sales tax if you're paying it at the point of sale or when you register the bike in your home state, and you're going to cut out ALL the smoke and mirrors that salesmen (including owners of dealerships) will try to confuse you with.

Make it clear up front that you're shopping based solely on OTD price (before taxes) and tell them that you won't pay "ONE RED CENT" above the price they tell you over the phone if/when you show up to buy the bike.

This system has produced sales waaaay below the MSRP on cars, pickups, and bikes for me for years and years and it works and it's easy.

If you'd rather be a "nice guy" and pay MSRP plus the add on fees that dealers like to gouge you with then it's your business and maybe you'll fell better doing it that way.

We're just trying to tell you that there is a way to buy a bike or other product cheaper and it doesn't have to involve a lot of time and/or effort.

Some dealers simply won't wheel and deal. That's OK too... Just pass them by.

If you're the "prisoner" of only one "local" dealer that is within reasonable driving distance of you that won't lower their price, then you have to decide whether or not going somewhere else for service is worth it to you if your dealer holds the line on not servicing a bike that they didn't sell you.

$bob$
  11. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Can a dealer not service your bike if you didnt buy it from them? I guess they could, but BMW might have a bit of a problem with that practice....

On my KTM 990, I bought it from one dealer and have it serviced by another. The dealer I get service at doesnt give a rats ass where I bought the bike because he is making money off of me. And because he has done me right, i might just buy a bike from him next time around. Seems like bad business to turn away customers no matter where they bought the bike.
  12. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    My dip sh!t local dealer missed out. I walked in his dealership to purchase two F800GSs. I stood in the middle of the show room for 40+ minutes without one single employee acknowledging my exsistance. I had already decided at the 20 minute mark I wasn't buying from these clowns but at that point it was just a game.... how long could they go before someone asked if we needed any help? I'm quite sure I could have just rolled a bike or two right out of the front door. I just went to the next dealer to spend my money. I ended up getting the two bikes for MSRP OTD.... no goofy fees, no nuthin'. Oh.. and I got a $250 per bike rebate from BMW for being in the military.
  13. mototrionic

mototrionic interloper

Oddometer:
    Ship it! I was given the "popular bike...3-4 month waiting list..." by all dealers in Washington. Though it was true, the fact was a few dealers across the country had bikes to sell.

I decided to pay $400 to ship it, waited a week, and am now riding a new F800. It was worth it to me, as I wasn't willing to wait a few months while having $2500 tied up in a deposit.

Any dealer will service it as if you purchased it from them. The notion of getting additonal value from buying it where you plan on servicing it is likely from someone in the sales field.

And the economy will have more surplus (folks walking away from their bikes and getting back the hefty deposit), I would bet on it.

Great bike, but just another product. :nod
  14. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    My local dealer had special pricing also. They told me $.13,500 out the door. About the same price I paid for my Honda ST 1300.
  15. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Oh I'll continue to play. Did I mention that I get free oil changes for the life of the bike. I know that is not a lot however over the life of 6 years that can be $2,000 bucks. And my two hours was walking in the door and riding off the lot, not negotiating a price. Anyways, the key is what is important to you? What is the dealer offering you or what are you willing to go through to get that OTD price? Like I said before, the dealer is going to give you a cracker here or there, whether its up front or on the back end, they will make their money, some more than others. I paid MSRP plus a small profit margin for my dealer. My dealer only sells BMW and I know that when I walk in there it will be about me and my BMW and not about Ducati or any other motorcycle. Others paid a fee for what they were willing to pay or not willing to pay. The key is the package of what you think you are getting. Do you want the motorcycle? Are you willing to wait to get the right price, service et all.... As you know now the price is going up and it comes down to the basics of supply and demand. Its a new 2009 model, demand is high, supply is low. That dictates a higher price which BMW has figured out therefore has increased the asking price. We can all argue about the basics yet we don't know his dealer, his personality or how bad he wants the bike. There is no "special pricing" on this bike, you create your own special pricing which in IMO is going to be minimum. 'Nuff said!
  16. Kicksave

Kicksave wannabeema

Oddometer:
    I work at a Dealership in SoCal. The price increase is true. It is happening to bikes purchased after Jan.1, 2009. It's not a Dealer trick to encourage sales. It's been explained to us that the original price was "introductory". It was bone thrown to U.S. dealers and customers as compensation for stopping the "Unstoppable" Promotion that promised to deliver the F800 GS on 03/08/08.

Just a note. At the current prices, the F800 GS makes a dealer about $12-1500. And there is no such thing as set-up fees. The $495 shipping fee is legitimate and on the actual MSRP Sticker:deal . If you're the price only type, shop around. Get your best OTD price, then see if the dealer with the best customer service can match it, or come close. I've found in many cases, the dealer with the best price isn't necessarily the best dealership:(: . Pick one that genuinely cares about the BMW brand and you as a customer:nod .

There's a lot more that goes into the purchase than just price. While we won't turn Service business away from a customer that bought his bike somewhere else, we try to reserve our Loaner Bikes for those who bought from us. We also help our buyers out with pick up and delivery. Then there's group rides and special events as well:freaky .

Lastly, I'm more willing to drop prices for a customer that knows what he/she wants, is prepared to purchase same day, and most importantly has a friendly approach. It is a motorcycle purchase and should be fun. If the offer can be done, we'll do it. If it can't, we don't. No hard feelings. The F800 GS is still hot and in relatively short supply in SoCal. You can get spectacular deals on bikes that don't sell (X-Moto anyone?). :wink: And too much price dropping devalues the bikes and hurts resale. Decide what really constitutes a good deal as a whole buying expirience. And do what's best for you.

One thing's for sure, if you're buying an F800 GS, you're getting a great bike! Hope that helps a little.
  17. lonerockz

lonerockz Permanent n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kicksave, your the most sensible dealer that I have seen post on this forum. If I lived in SoCal I would be calling you first. I'm not against a dealer making a profit, I just want to know that I'm not getting screwed. 10-15% seems low, not a lot of room for bikes that are sitting there with interest accruing. Seems like a tough business to be in right now. I hope you weather the storm!

Bike4Fun, you didnt get free oil changes, you just paid for them upfront. if thats what you wanted its fine. But you come off pretty high and mighty, as if anyone that spends a few minutes arguing on price is a fool. As they say time is money. Some people have more of one than the other. You sound happy with your experience, if so then behappy. I would feel taken. But I dont worry about you. Its customers that pay over MSRP that help me pay less! :wink:

Steve
  18. Gumption

Gumption Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also want to say thanks to Kicksave for his post. It is great to get an inside perspective. :nod