F800GS first ride

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Motoriley, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Well I went and bought a BMW again without test riding one...worked out fine with my 1150Gs in '99 so I figured what the heck and ordered an F800GS. 10 C today.Had time this morning to put on the Adv-Spec crashbars, Fenda Extenda, skidplate and toolox, and BMW hangaurds with spoilers. Took about 2 1/2 hours or so to get it all done.
    First impressions. This bike has nothing in common with my 1150. Feels like a bicycle. Revs instantly and rewards smooth throttle. Was a bit herky jerky when driven with my heavy handed style initially. Feels much peppier as well. Still in break-in so can't really rinse it out but the impression is that this thing wants to rev. No heavy fly wheel effect here. Smooth, starts and idles like a kitten. Exhaust note is very nice.
    I ended up doing some gravel since one of my favourite local roads was under major construction. Sloppy mud and some loose gravel. Many spots I would have stood up on the 1150 I simply rode through. Bike feels so much more planted in the front. I could really tell what was going on up there. I always found with the 1150 you had to take it on faith.
    Bottom line is this machine is totally different as far I'm concerned, apples and oranges. :D
  2. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So ya i picked it up on sat. from mtl int. took it for a spin , scared the shit out of myself, went home had supper..... then went back out for another ride from 1k to 200k in in 2 days i am so satisfied with my 800......:D
  3. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked it. I was just surprised how different the 800 was. Side by side they seem more alike. Then you ride it and realize that they share nothing. The F800 has as much in common with my KLR as it does with my old 1150. I'm going to have to really smooth out my riding style. I noticed when ever I rode someone else bike (K75, ZRX1200, VFR800 etc) just how sloppy I had gotten. The 1150s are so stable and forgiving you can get away with it. The ride wasn't helped by the fact I rode a Ural all last summer....I was seeing all the sand and gravel left over from the winter. On the Ural that is just a bonus that lets you slide around and have more fun.:D
  4. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really dont have anything to compare this to i have never driven a bike on the road, i went to the dealer originally "just to look" with my friend i had my eye on the xcountry, but i jst wanted to see what the feel was on the 800, well the rest is history......
  5. epbiker

epbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    STOP BRAGGIN..:super .. Mine won't be here till mid May..
  6. gary138

gary138 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi I rented a 800 GS in South Africa and loved this bike. I rented it because I figured It would be a good replacement bike for my KLR650 and my V-Strom 1000, It's right in the middle.
    I think I could take it anywhere I could take the KLR because it's weight is lower ( and I took this thing on some soft sand that left the 1200GS turning back after it hit the ground about 7 times) and I've done 1000 mile days back to back on the KLR, so I'm sure I could on this 800.
    The V-Strom 1000 is a much better street bike but like I said it fits in the middle of the 2 bikes it would be replacing someday.
    What I didn't like about the 800 is the seat would have to be changed for me (it's only good for 500 miles per day for me ) and a bigger windshield as a must. and a headlight guard is a must as the lens is part of the the whole unit and cost $480 (don't ask how I know).
    I was hoping to get 100K miles out of the V-Strom and 50K out of the KLR but with 42K and 24K on the KLR I don't think I can wait that long. I'm keeping an eye out for a low mile one, as I'm in no rush..:norton
  7. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    I was really surprised how light the steering was. Felt initially scary till I realized I had good feedback. Can't emphasize how much better it tracked in the loose gravel I rode in briefly today. This will be my long range bike (Ural for Costco runs). I've done cross Canada trips on everything from Goldwings to KLRs so I'm sure it will do fine for that.
  8. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm picking mine up in two days. :clap :clap
  9. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you'll let your fellow Albertan have it for a day or 2....

10. big adv

big adv I need supervision

Oddometer:
    Thought I saw one or two on the floor at blackfoot?

Earl
  11. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, I'll book you in for December. :D
  12. epbiker

epbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I talked to the boys @ Blackfoot, they told me they had a Dewalt but not loaded. Im lookin for a Dark Magnesium Matt Metallic Loaded. They had the Sunset Yellow/Black Satin In Edmonton too.:cry I'm commin off HD... NO Orange Pleasa..... Frigin bros are givin me a nard enough time now LOL:roflI'm tryin to whisper shhhhh BUT I AM GOING TO CHAT @ THOSE FU"KERS IN EDMOTON TOMORROW Nice to see some Alberta boys here eggin me on..
  13. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put 700k's on mine yesteday with at least 250 of those being off road, The only thing that i didn't like was the centerstand bouncing around at speed and corrigated roads and it could do with some diffrent fork springs but what a bike. It was alot faster on road than i thaught it would be, and i'll be gladly selling my CBR because i dont need it anymore.
  14. BigDog71

BigDog71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in a completely different boat. I've bought my F8 and it is there all farkled out waiting for me and I won't be in the states until June!
    Grey & black, loaded, BMW adventure panniers, luggage plate, lens shield, Wild at Heart crashbars, GPS mount, CalSci windscreen, blah blah blah sitting there in Seattle waiting for me to fly over and pick it up... *sigh*

I can't wait to ride it!
  15. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Now that is a sed story....:(:

16. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also rode today......brrrr but i am finding the throttle twitchy maybe it was just me shivering:D
  17. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i think i will try that, i am also finding i have toride it like a 2 stroke in the city, always using clutch,and cancelling a signal is somtimes scary with a quick shot of fuel ....definetly a puker factor of 10 in rush traffic....

19. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

The signals are self canceling, you know...:deal (I did the same at first, but now find the self cancel nearly perfect)

EDIT: BTW, I tightened up my throttle cables soon after delivery. Helped out quite a bit. Still not a smooth off zero throttle as a carbed bike, but managable.
  20. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks i know now about the signals......i should probably read the manual:D
    When i went over the bike at the stealership the guy goes over the bike with you right.... he was the one who told me that you have to cancel the signals, but now i am think that he probably ment for the hazards ... i am a dumbass, but in my defense i was picking up a brandnew bike so i only heard half of what he said.... and day dreaming the rest:D