F800GS Fork conversion???

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by pInniT, Nov 11, 2009.

1. pInniT

pInniT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does any1 know if there is some1 is making a set of replacement triple clamps for the F8 so i can swap my damaged forks for a set of ohlins/showa/kyb??? the cost of fixing the standard pogo sticks they have hanging off the front is probably as much if not more than a new set of forks.....
  2. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:

Your best bet would be to get second hand WPs. I have a full front system off a 2001 LC4 in my garage so I could cross check measurements with you. What are the:

1) stem diameters at bearing positions
    2) stem length
    3) Fork height from top to wheel axle

for the F800GS?
  3. pInniT

pInniT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike is not in the shed atm, so i cant get those measurements as yet! I think i should have a set of 2001 KTM 520 clamps i have had floating around for years from 1 of my old bikes, when i get the bike back i will check it out and let you know!!
  4. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    excellent, been waiting to see someone put some decent forks on an 800
  5. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Ralle Moto is in the design stages for a complete Billet Front end conversion for the F800. We do not have pricing yet but the idea is to have the set-up available for a range of different forks including Showa and Ohlins. They are also looking at Billet Hubs.

Steve
  6. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call Gary Emig. He will make you a custom set. Just send him the stockers and he will make whatever you want and press in the stem.

http://www.emigracing.com/
  7. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I can find a pair of WP dirt bike forks with the right upper tube diameter and close to the right length why could I not simply bolt the whole assembly in place including wheel and front rotor from the KTM? Is there something fundamentally stupid about this idea? If Woody laces the front wheel with heavy duty spoke it would certainly be stout enough for the added weight.
  8. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have an abs free bike, it should go fine.
  9. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get whatever forks you want and my college pal, James Banke, will make you whatever triple clamps you need to mount them on the F8

http://www.bankeperformance.com/flattrack/tripleclamps.html

Might even be able to fab you the bits and pieces so you could re-use the F8 calipers with the Woody wheel and disks...
  10. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    And you could drop a disc and have a high fender (think Twalcom bike). Or if you went with the adventure that had the twin 300 mm discs that may work better. I think they were USD 48's??
  11. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    you could probably do this --BUT--then you would have a chopper with 12 or 13 inches of front travel!
  12. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    +1 gary is the guy to see!
  13. cisco

cisco old fat guy

Oddometer:
    Back when DP was changing his dampening rods, I bought a used WP fork from a 950A. They are the same length, same travel,and with dual caliper mounts. The two big hurdles in the swap are the size of the lower part of the WP tube, much larger the the BMW fork. BMW also uses a wider triple clamp. A lower clamp would need to be made. This would take me a year of making chips in my manual machines(paging MR. Emig).Axle size is also differant, not a big deal. The method of mounting the calipers is also different. Adaptor could be made, or if the piston size is the same use the KTM calipers. So with the nice weather we been having, and the long process to change the forks, I was waiting for Race Tech to step up to the plate, I'm not sure that they have yet.
    Cisco
  14. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    It's doable and not all that expensive (comparatively) but the ability to machine simple parts will make life much easier.

When choosing donor forks (I wouldn't rule out the Japanese dirtbikes) you have to keep in mind the diameter of the fork tube at the lower and upper clamps and also the width of the forks in the clamps. It's likely that you will have to machine a spacer/bushings for one of the clamps and also to center the wheel. Or, if it's easier to use the donor triple clamps, you will likely have to machine bushings for the stem to clamp interface(s). ABS is obviously an issue (if you have ABS) but the availability of SUMO brakes sort of solves that problem.

FWIW, early 2000s WR forks will not fit very easily...
  15. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Or one could use this opportunity to rid oneself of ABS and have a slightly lighter bike in the process. If I ever were to swap out my forks, I'd lose the ABS.
  16. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    For four pounds or whatever the abs weighs, I'd just as soon keep it.
  17. giodog2000

giodog2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyways , if any of you swap forks , I'd buy your f8 stock forks if the price is right.

Thx
  18. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:

What he said. I think Emig can make anything you need, and more than likely will actually make it for you.
  19. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    I sent Gary Emig my triple trees for measurement. He's built me the top clamp for the Emig damper but I cannot yet afford the bottoms for the KTM/WP conversion :evil Call him up and he can set you up.
  20. cisco

cisco old fat guy

Oddometer:
    I have a WP fork, clamps, front wheel, and axle, from a 950A. They are now available.
    Cisco