F800GS front brake rotors.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Griz, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    If we don't hear back from you we'll know they didn't...
    Loutre likes this.
  2. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    OK, I've got 600 miles on the Braking Batfly enduro rotors now and I have some evaluative thoughts:

The vibrations have never really gone away. Under hard braking I can feel them just a tiny bit, and at that last point in an average stop where you are at walking speed they suddenly become noticeable. Like I said before, it feels like riding a new set of knobbies on the street, just for a moment. This is not a deal-breaker, but not a good thing either. I don't like it.

The disks rust in the black cooling channels that are not swept by the brake pads. I am surprised at this, since the rotors are stainless, but there are a range of stainless steels and apparently this one will rust when alternately heated with brake force and soaked in rain, as on last weekend's camping trip. I'd thought the days of rusty iron brake rotors were behind me. I guess not.

Brake performance is not awesome. Here though, it could easily be the pads not the rotors, as I used Dunlopad #DP623 pads that I know to be just average. I had two fresh sets though, so in they went. Some day when I have "extra" money I'll try something else.

On the good side, it's very very nice to go down a dirt road without hearing and feeling all that bashing, jangling clatter from the old loose rotors. In fact, now that I can really feel the front end again, I think there's a little knock . . . headset or fork bushings? I'll have to see.

To sum up: I really wanted to try these just on account of their unique design, and I expect to use them for years to come, but I don't think I'd recommend them.
    Lonster11 and GoneAgain like this.
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where Am I Riding
    -> Loutre

if I stop moving for a couple of days or some kind of red flag/S.O.S. appears, you'll know why :lol3
  4. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    and stop sending me the fake SOS emails, I'm not rescuing you.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  5. Loutre

Oddometer:
    but I'm all outta nailpolish and you're the only one who knows the colors that I like. if that isn't an emergency SPOT was designed for, than what is?
    ADVwxyz and Siricco like this.
  6. Mongo357

Mongo357 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At about 50K miles my second set of OEM rotors is looking a lot like the pics in post #58. I don't feel as lucky as @Loutre, though, so no Chinese rotors for me. I found a used set of OEM rotors on eBay. They had 4K miles, cost me $175.
  7. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Had an accident today by avoiding an asshole on the road. Handlebar, clutchside, front fairing and couple of parts are toast. Not a total loss from first sight. The discs are fine though :lol3. I'm in a taxi now, which drives me to get a rental car. Driving home and insurance will bring me my bike in 3 weeks. No more testing for an extended period of time, sorry. Need to find cheap replacement parts. Already found a clutch lever assembly for 20bucks.
  8. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Damn that's not good. You where on a trip in Norway yes? We want details - what happened!? Good you are okay (are you?) :thumb Bummer for your trip. Norway is an epic ride, i wend last year. But that was for light offroad stuff in one (big) region. Not a trip to the north cape what is on my bucket list.
  9. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Bike wrecker.

It wasn't a green light/red light thing eh?

I've got new bars hanging in the shop.
    Loutre likes this.
  10. Loutre

Oddometer:
    yeah was heading north but stopped, once agian at the polish border :baldy last year my grand dad got sick when I got there, so I rode 1000 miles back.

This time the bike is kinda wrecked and I still drove back 1000 miles with the car my insurance provided me :lol3

anyhow here is the story:

I visited the second biggest lock (water navigation) in europe ,near the polish border and on my way back to the main road, there were a couple of twisties. A car was in front of me for about 3 kms and drove in a good pace. speed limit was 80-100km/h. I always had about 50-100m distnce between him and myself and then in a sharp blind corner he slowed down to 30km/h. of course I didn't see him braking and just had him in front of me, when I got into the corner.

had two choices: rear ending him, or driving into the security rail on the other side. I took the rail. my bike got embedded in it, but thankfully I had enough time to slow down the momentum, so I stayed on the bike (it went downhill behind the rail). My pannier and bars absorbed most of the shock. handlebar, clutch lever, pannier and switchgear is dead, as is part of my front. I got away lucky with a sore knee and leg. it is a bit blueish but I can walk and I guess I can still pull that off :lol3

Whilst waiting for the towtruck (2 hours), I noticed that a boy of my age died in the exact same spot last year. they left his rear mirror at the cross. I sat down next to him and shared a beer and thanked him for watching me. I left my advrider badge at his cross. I like to believe that he saved my bacon.
    ADVwxyz, pklop and cjw25 like this.
  11. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Jee mate, thas was some serious sh*t happening there! This could have been a very different story. Or no story at all here at advrider, never to be heard from again. Good thing you pulled this off! Your not only a funny but also a lucky duck :thumb

Better stick to the dirt from now on. That's much safer than sharing our public roads with all those idiots.

Loutre likes this.
  12. Loutre

Oddometer:
    my best friend here is on advrider, he knows that he needs to post my story in the parallel universe if shit happens so don't worry about that ;)

my friends over here call me lunatic and inconscious duck as well... in that spirit and to avoid losing my street cred' I went to my local pharmacy and got pain medication for my leg. I put all my gear on my pregnant elephant and in the spirit of "the show must go on" and fuck you, that is why, I'm heading back on the road. Will have a week less than before so I need to swallow some road in the next couple of days but in the end I'll get to see some amazing landscapes. I just hope that my final drive repair will hold up :), never tested it in a long run. modified my insurance policy for that, so if shit happens again, my bike and I will be sent back home :).

Cheers to you all, tracker is activated again :)
    VEXX likes this.
  13. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    That's the spirrit :rayof
    You're doing right by that ADV patch! :super
    Now then, as a representative of both parallel universe and gspot, go make us proud.

Although, It's not an adventure without some sh*t happening and you already got that part covered now, so all that's left is enjoying the ride, scenery and people you encounter. And the beer. Good luck! Don't forget the pictures this time.
    Loutre likes this.
  14. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I see you made it past the Polish border this time! But shouldn't you be driving North. As in North Cape; through sweden/norway. Or are you trying your own version of Long Way Round :lol2

Perhaps > Litouwen, Letland, Estland, Finland, Norway < that's your plan?
    Pitty you have to drive all those highways to make up for the lost time. Also pitty that i'm not driving those country's with you, but instead lay here recovering on my bed, dreaming of such trips. Have not much else to do :D
    Loutre likes this.
  15. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Yes finally in Poland :) well as you said, sad that I need to drive through all those highways and at least 700kms a day but once I reach LT I'll take my time. I've been to Poland several times so I'm not that sad, would have loved to see danzig though. So yes doing long way round;) wanted to go until Finland last year but my grand father got sick so I made a U turn in Poland and drove 1700kms back that day. So this time I wanna get through;)
  16. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I know i said you should enjoy the beer on this trip. But based on where i see you riding at loutre.whereamiriding.com i believe you are drunk all the time!? The route you take makes no sense at all :scratch You know the fastest route between two places is in a straight line, yes? How's the fat piggy doing, missing the 800 much? (i don't expect so on such a trip)

[​IMG]
  17. Loutre

Oddometer:
    The 800 would have been better in these countries no question because of the roads but the big one is swallowing the miles like no other :) offroad fully packed is a challenge though. Btw they mugged me in Riga, thought my bad luck was over -.-
  18. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    With something like this i wonder; how does this happen, what's the story? Do tell :D:lurk
  19. Loutre

Oddometer:
    oh well so once upon a time...twisty roads, nothing too fancy, nothing too hard. I was following a car from maybe 50m behind, so plenty of safe space between the cage and myself. than in a blind corner that idiot stopped in front of me because he saw some deer or something on the side of the road and wanted to take a pic. was a twisty road limited to 100km/h so you can imagine what kind of speed I was having on that sunny day. when I saw him in front of me it was either taking the cage or the security rail on the left side. took the rail and thankfully no car came hitting me from the front. bike was embedded, got off, the cager saw me and drove off... needed another car driver to get it out and waited 2 hours for recovery. finally got my car back today after 7 weeks. now all I need to find are some used parts and here we go again :)
  20. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    Wondering about sources for used rotors besides E-Bay, Craigslist, etc. Is there something along the lines of a pick and pull online? I know there is a subsection in the forum for such listing, but just wondering about possible other sources. Beemer Boneyard, last I checked, had little to nothing for the F800GS that was not new. Thanks for any leads.