F800GS front brake rotors.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Griz, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=10&M=72&Ct=GA&SbCt=BA_10_72_GA_40
  2. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    For used parts you need to call I think :-)
  4. Tom D

Tom D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just reading this tread for the first time so i might be late in weighing in and I'm sorry to hear about your woes, but i would never, never ever put my life in the hands of chinese brake components, period!! sure they haven't failed yet and they might not, but what happens when they do, are you really willing to be that guy? need more convincing, doesn't take much of a google search to find failed suspension, brake, wheel failures involving chinese metallic parts.
  5. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of my braking is rear and engine breaking. They held up in a couple of emergency breaking and off road I don't use them. They are metal components and I don't see them failing on a 240kg bike. They wear better then the OEM discs and I'm more than willing to continue the experiment. If they are dangerous, early wear would inform me of that. Failing discs don't happen from one day to another but over time. I'm living near the sea and there is no sign if rust, unlike the 4 other discs that I have made in Germany on my other bike.

Chinese suspensions etc rely on other components than pure metal. Like comparing apply to oranges. I wouldn't trust Chinese pads though, but discs are something else. And this is the internet, if I do a Google search on European motorcycle components and parts that have failed, I'll find them in a split second and spread over pages. I'm sure my fuel pump was made in some first world country, same with final drive , bearings, headlight, tires, heated grips, driveshaft etc. And guess what they all failed. They are wear items and you need to take care of your stuff. Preemptive maintenance will secure your butt more than just some ancient misconception of a country. Sure I wouldn't buy my tires from china,but metal discs could be made in Reavers backyard and I wouldnt care.
  6. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    BygDaddee and Lost-n-Lovin-It like this.
  7. Rizzly

Rizzly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Carlsbad USA "On a trail...behind a rock"
    OEM Rotors are done. 33K miles on my bike and I've been "putting up" with that irritating rattle for five years now! (2012 F800gs)

I just got through dealing with 3 eBay vendors who didn't know a thing...Two who couldn't deliver the rotors, the last vendor just sent the wrong set of Galfers!

I called the Galfer dealer in Oxnard California and they are overnight shipping the correct rotors. Great people to deal with!

The part numbers for Galfer are as follows...

DF664CWI (Front left)
    DF664CWD (Front right)

Retail at $338 each
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Hows those front discs going, metal gear do a great range of stuff, i can walk in the door just down the rd from my place, i always use rhere sintered pads in bikes now and have bought other tvings like chains and sprockets from them

9. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    I haven't used them yet. They are fitted to my spare OEM wheel set up. They look good and seem more robust than the original. It took a while for Metal Gear to manufacture them and they wouldn't release them until they had met quality tests. I suppose that says something.

Had problems with the AK20 cartridge and have spent all day rectifying the problem. I will take it for a spin tomorrow to make sure all OK. I must have killed a Chinaman or smashed a dozen mirrors. I have fired the bullet on the Ohlins cartridge but whilst I was repairing the AK20 I noticed a serious hell dent in the area where the outer seal fits. It has been hit by something hard with a square edge and was in the area that is a little concealed by the lower mudguard and the tyre. It isn't leakin oil but might be a bit of a bugger when Nick fits the Ohlins. Now trying to find a replacement upper leg.

And then.......I get a call today that I may be required at Millmerran for 5 weeks after Easter :(::devildog there goes any chance of doing any riding until June:fpalm. Hopefully I don't get the call.
  10. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Oh dear those outer tubes are about $950 each too

Let me know how it goes

What did you find with the AK's ?
  11. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    I think it might have been a bit of human error last time I changed the oil. I couldn't have tightened the lock nut up to the preload adjuster enough. It appears the two had vibrated apart. I have cleaned up the threads with a thread chaser ( joys of being in the fitting trade for years ) so the internals will be OK for a while. There was a lot of extremely fine metal in the oil when I drained the leg. I think I have flushed the crap out OK. Test ride on Easter Sunday show show if things will be OK.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  12. Andi_Archer

Andi_Archer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seeing the end of the video reminded me of sad news reported this morning on the radio of a female killed whilst chasing a Dog on the Motorway

On brighter news the new BMW1200GS has an enduro setting so no need to turn off ABS as it is calibrated for off road and I can attest after being at BMW off road school that it works very well indeed.
  13. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    I'm figuring you got the floating discs...

Did u see their solid discs? I saw them a few weeks ago when I got chain n sprockets from them.. $330 a pair and no rattle... Don't think I need floating....?

But yeah, +1 on Metalgear stuff and service...!!

14. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Floating discs only 'cos that is what is on as OEM
  15. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Hows the Arashi front rotors going
  16. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    They didn't kill me, are still on the bike and dont show any weird or premature wear. Still no regret
    BygDaddee and morfic like this.
  17. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a pair of those on the front of my 2013 F800GS, 15,000 miles later they are still working well and I don't miss the annoying 'clacking' sounds I had with the stock BMW rotors.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  18. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Ive got a spare wheel now and might throw these in it
  19. BillACK

BillACK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got my Arashi rotors. They look great! Can't wait to install them and get rid of the annoying pulsing from my warped right rotor.
  20. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which model of rotor has been working well, the Arashi website does not mention a rotor for the F700 or the F800? I'm ready to have a set on hand due to light warping on one of the F7s but not sure which model is producing decent results.
    Thanks!