F800GS Front Fender Failure Caused Catastrophic Crash

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Lost Roadie, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Yeah. As an add-on solution, this seems too obvious. Why not?

Fred
  2. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    It might be tricky to manage the extra loop at the top when the suspension goes it`s full range...
  3. switch

switch Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer:
    Just come up behind the forks, then go over the top triple clamp and around the front of the headstock.
  4. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    I'm about a year away from pulling the trigger on a new F800GS, I ride a lot of gravel roads and this thread really made me hold off until I feel confident about the design. I realize anything can happen (and the cause of this accident is really unknown) and I still think BMW makes a great product, but want peace of mind when I'm tearing down a gravel road.

Sounds like there are some modifications that can be made, however, I would like to see a design modification to prevent any cable getting caught in the tire. Its really a no-brainer as far as i'm concerned.

Regardless, sorry to hear about (see) your spill, it really gave me chills and glad you walked away with minor injuries. Good job having the proper gear on, i'm sure that made a difference. From the video I can tell you that you were driving well within the safe limits for the bike, road and conditions, so if anyone says says different they are full of s**t.

Glad to see you have a new rebuild in progress!
  5. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

Holy smokes man - X 2 here. :eek1
  7. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    The F8 is a great bike. I ride mine every day both on and off tarmac. 16,000 miles in 10 months isn't a track record (I've only been on one distance ride since January) but I'd say that using Chi's accident as an excuse to hold off purchasing what will ultimately be the funnest bike you've ever owned is sort of silly. It's like saying, I'm not going to fly to my dream destination because one plane had an issue with cracks.

Drop the dime. You won't regret it.
  9. QMan

QMan prof. dirt mover

Oddometer:
    Just remove the second disc and caliper and the black crossover line and you'll be fine...

And the bike will finally steer how it should :lol3

Every 'adventure' bike needs mods, there is no ready off-the-shelf bike that would do it all.
  10. Mongo357

Mongo357 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have pictures, but I cracked the front "hugger" on my first 3000 miles. A crack clear through on the right side fork guard, if I remember correctly. BMW covered it, but called it an isolated occurring. Said if it happened again they were going to call it abuse...
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1:clap
  12. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    all i can say is ''Attaboy!!!'' and hope our fellow inmates and BMW learn from your handling of this situation...

OBTW,,,i like the transformation,,,you have inspired quite a few souls out there,,,i too am curious how the whole package performs.
    woody
  13. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Bottomed out, stock forks - today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Simonf8gs

Simonf8gs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    In Mexico near Creel, bottomed the suspension and....
    BMW never wanted to cover it because "the bike was moving when it happened"

I hit a pothole with my "unstopable" "enduro" bike and it destroyed the fender plastics, I was quite disapointed, but at least I didn't get hurt. The brake lines are fine in my case, and the rim also was fine, at that time...
  15. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    On purpose I presume since the photo is spot on and up close. Nice job if ya did. I've bottomed mine out with no real repercussions.
  16. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season?

Oddometer:
    Let's face it. The stock fork is a softie, designed for light to moderate workloads. I always agreed with Jimmy Lewis on this bike being a street motorcycle in offroad clothing - capable of using knobbies.

Reference:
    http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_0811_2009_bmw_f800gs_web_impression/index.html

If I want to flog it and have a blast over more bumps I simply use the 690RR instead. Stock suspension on the F8GS needs a strategic and moderate effort to sustain it. It's all too easy to bottom the factory suspension in more demanding situations. I simply have to factor this in and take it easy to preserve and continue. I'm glad Chitown survived to tell us the tale, and also glad to see his newly adapted "Baja"-style project.

It's still the most versatile and generally most capable bike I've ever owned - for my prefs and riding styles. An excellent allrounder for light to moderate dirt roads. I don't have the personal skills for advanced offroading or really challenging dirt work, and simply stay within my own envelope and what this bike was designed for. It's not an advanced offroad tool or true dirt bike.

I'd most definitely upgrade the suspension for a potensial RTW trip, though. :evil
  17. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    I'd highly recommend it. Not as hard to do as people think. Fork Conversion done... ride's like a dream.
  18. Houndman

Houndman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The cow with the laser beam eyes are the culprits. That was good!:rofl
  19. intr1gue

intr1gue Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just watched that vid and had an instant flashback to my own accident (highway, cut off, bike stopped instantly, I went flying 20-30ft). Chills, man. :eek1

Good...fuck that, GREAT to see you're still alive and didn't black out, ATGATT for damn sure, and sorry to see an epic journey cut short...now you've got me looking into what changes were made each year to the F800GS, since I'm in the market for one. Wow...
  20. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    RonJohn,

Each year, BMW has looked over the bike carefully, and analyzed the feedback from customers to see what could be done to improve the bike. After much consideration , and bean-counting, they have always done what it takes to improve the bike a little bit at a time.

If you look at the differences since 2009, you will see that you now have the choice of colors we only dreamed of back then! No need, in their opinion, to address anything else.

Thought I might see you at TT last night, but I didn't...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.