F800GS Front Fender Failure Caused Catastrophic Crash

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Lost Roadie, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intr1gue

intr1gue Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well...not entirely. There's also a pretty significant FI mapping change made in 2010 to address the twitchiness in the throttle, another significant change to chain size (and corresponding changes to front/rear sprockets). I'm sure there's more, that's just what I've come across so far.

I do think what happened in that video is a rock got ate by the knobbies and tore off the fender, and I'd say the solution to that problem is to pull the fender off when riding unpaved roads (see F650 Dakar layout).

I actually went to the RawHyde presentation at SSBMW last night, which was nice (and got me some more time to sit on their new F800GS's...which I'm increasingly leaning toward just to avoid this kind of incremental change...)

--Ranjan

2. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    New mapping didn't help my '09. But a boosterplug and G2 throttle tamer did.

And then I installed MX lines to replace the front "crossover" line.

And then I had adjustable forks built, so I could have re-valving, compression and rebound.

And then I had a new rear shock spring, a and a Ralle-moto "spacer" to protect the bolt that keeps bending.

And then I had Renazco build a seat to replace the worst seat I've ever had on a motorcycle.

And then I bought a Leo Vince pipe to lose about 8 pounds of dead weight.

And then I added "Denali lights" because the stockers don't do much at all.

And then I replaced the levers with Wunderlich adjustable levers because even my size XL hands couldn't get comfortable with the OEM levers.

And then I replaced the skinny stock grips with other BMW grips that are more suited to the bike.

And then....
    And then...

Not that I'm complaining. (And...Jonah Street rode the Dakar Rally with a standard "low" fender.)

;-)
  3. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Going to 15/42 sprockets + the skinny grip fix made my throttle resp. smooth like butta' - $150
    Did the shiver fork conversion - adjustible booya! ~$400
    Seat done by Mr. Eds Moto in albany Or. Comfy. $200 w. F650 discount
    Leo Vince Carbon pipe - $350 maybe?
    My stock levers are adjustible and work great. :D

Still to come - dual lines and a high fender fix.

Having the bike the way I want it with mods that make it ride better, weigh less or more comfortable. - Priceless. :lol3
  4. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't talk specifically about Jonah, but most riders were switching between hi and low fenders depending on the day's conditions :deal Worth a double check.
  5. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    I took a brief look at RawHyde's site and was not able to find any details on this new F800GS you speak of. I will hopefully be at the off road class this July 17th here in the NYC area and get to see. Can you say what was changed?

Thanks
  6. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season?

Oddometer:
    True. Pal Anders Ullevalseter told us at "Bike Mountain Adventure 2006" in his lecture that they swapped between high and low fender depending on surface and temperature conditions.

For non-muddy, desert-sand, high-speed and engine-stressing stages requiring high-speed stability and better engine cooling the always use the low fender.

When tackling muddy stages with caking mud tendencies the went for the high fender.
  7. intr1gue

intr1gue Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey, I meant the new bikes at our local South Sound BMW, not RawHyde's new bikes. I'm not even sure if RawHyde has F's...

--Ranjan

8. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:

What tires were you running?

Any idea when/how the crack occurred?
  9. drid

drid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It just happened to me on the freeway doing 60mph, a sudden dive of the front fork. I did not crash because i was lucky enough and the brake hose was torn of the brake caliper so it did not block the front wheel and allowed me to slow down to safety. I will post some pictures tomorrow.
  10. Lucky:)

Lucky:) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow!

was it a rock between the fender and the tire?
  11. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Makes me happy I changed my lines.
  12. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crappy. I was hoping this was going to be a very rare occurrence. I hope we're not seeing the results of the plastic fender weakening over time as we all rack up the miles on these bikes as they age.
  13. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    The crossover line elimination mod is quickly climbing up my list.
  14. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    Wow... looking forward to the pictures.
  15. quimexa

quimexa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OUCH!!!!!!!!

Dude, that video scared me!!!!

In a few days, we are going to a ride with some off roads trails, I'm shaking!!! :eek1

Sorry that happened to you, thank god Ur OK
  16. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a link to the video? Original link seems broken....
  17. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    that works, thanks. Scary stuff...heal well and hope you're back on a bike soon. Let's hope BMW takes a close look at this issue and makes any needed changes so this doesn't have to happen to others.
  18. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    The current front fender on the F8 is unsprung weight. That right there is enough reason for me to get rid of it. :lol3
  19. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season?

Oddometer:
    I judge the front fender to be all right for most light- to moderate gravel-riding duties, but that brake hose routing is food for thought when things go bumpy over longer distances and time. :cob :eek1
  20. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:

Welcome to owning motorcycles. If you aren't changing stuff you don't know what you like or what is good. No bike is perfect because perfect is a personal issue. Bitch all you want but those are all pretty common changes to all bikes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.