F800GS Front Fender Failure Caused Catastrophic Crash

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Lost Roadie, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    When'd you change your screen name?
  2. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    My experience this past Thursday was not as dramatic as the story that started this thread because I was barely going 5mph at the time. I was doing my damnedest to get moving faster, but I was sunk in some amazingly sticky red clay East of Chinle, AZ. The fender was packing with mud and I was resisting the proper solution, which would have been to remove the fender and the right-hand brake caliper. I had to do that soon enough as it turned out.

The fender cracked straight across the top, on a line from one fork tube to the other. The forward half of the fender was pulled ahead by the mud and partially ripped off it's lower mounts. Interestingly, the rear half of the fender stayed more or less in place and was not pushed forward.
    [​IMG]

It was not that difficult to free the cross-over hose from the fender stays & strap the caliper onto the windshield and headlight mounts so it hung just in front of the turn signal. One of the orange DOT reflectors off the fork guard on the fender made a perfect brake pad spacer, I wrapped zip-ties around it to make sure it stayed in place. I was running a Pirelli MT21 and found I could actually make forward progress in the mud with that fender removed.

[​IMG]

The mud brought us all to a stop and killed three clutches, we spent the night in the woods but that's a story for the ride report elsewhere. I rode 300 miles home with the single brake and am beginning the project of fender elimination and brake line re-routing. I'll post the results when I'm done sometime this winter. Meantime I'll replace the OEM fender and stay out of the mud. (anyone got a used one to sell me? PM me if so . . .)
  3. SpadedAce

SpadedAce Injun!

Oddometer:
    Chitown -- very sorry to hear about your crash, and what happened to both you and GS, but also very glad you shared it with us.

I'm just wondering, would it be more advisable to change to a dual cable for the front brake lines or to put the high-fender on? Or Both? Seems like both would be overkill, but what's a few hundred clams when your life is at stake?

Thoughts?
  4. yen_kofu

yen_kofu n00b

Oddometer:
    the video "F800GS Front Fender Failure Caused Catastrophic Crash "
    Good to Put On my YouTube Channel !
    May l ?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  5. selaznog

selaznog Roadless Warrior

Oddometer:

Lost Rider,

Can you please give us a review of your single brake system? Any changes to the brake system other than simply removing the other side and excess plumbing? I removed one side from a 950ADV I used to have and I never missed the extra braking power. After seeing your experience I'm hoping to do the same for my 800. Thanks.

selaznog
  6. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    The F800GS uses the same calipers and the same size discs as the 950 Adv. If you liked it on that bike that's even slightly heavier, it wouldn't be any different on the F800.
  7. Phil J

Phil J Dirty Guy

Oddometer:
    The exact same thing happened to me in Black Rock Desert in 2009. While riding on the playa fully loaded at about 40mph my front fender clogged up with mud and exploded, then the cross-over brake line caught on TKC-80 knobby tread and I did a header although I had a somewhat softer landing than you had. Looking up at the sky after the get-off I'm thinking, "What the f... happened".

BMW knows about the problem with the poor fender/break line design and will do nothing about it. I'm just wondering if a rider has been killed due to this poor design. I would definately put in my $.02 in on a lawsuit. I have lots of pictuers documenting my event.

Sign me "Pissed".
  8. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    unreal... more F800GS problems
  9. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    YAH. That fender is a problem. BMW knows. I've been procrastinating on doing anything with mine...but I should, plus the current fender is unsprung and dead weight on the tire.

I'm guessing that it's one of those things for BMW -> costs less to ignore it than to fix it. Plus, BMW is careful about ensuring that the fine print for this bike that they don't call it a dual sport. It's a street bike by their own documentation. I doubt that legal action would go anywhere short of there being an actual death -> otherwise this problem would have been fixed a long time ago.
  10. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the fact that it is possible to have something on a motorcycle break and cause a crash was grounds for a judgement, there wouldn't be any Harleys on the road. They can't brake or turn and it causes crashes all the time.

Rather then wait to become a statistic, I would rectify the weakness my self and reroute your brake line.
  11. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    true da... my 73 HD FX Superglide came with defective rear brakes. first year for disc brakes on HD and it showed. rear brake caliper would drag against disc, get red hot, boil brake fluid.. NO brakes.

it was an acknowledged problem, but HD never issued recall of any kind for the piece of shit rear disc brakes.
  12. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    I'll accept a front fender exploding if it gets jammed with mud (thats the consequence of a low profile front fender), but the low cross over brake line in my opinion is just plain scary.
  13. albany23

albany23 Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Just in to say Hi to my man Chitown!! Hi,Finn !! Big fan, you'll get me in a lot of 'trouble' with the missus, you know, riding bikes and farkling and missing suppers!!! Keep riding and stay free!!
    Btw, EVERY TIME i ride my F800 on a rocky road, the split second i reach about 50kph your video pops in my brain!! Scary stuff, i instantly do a two second check-up of my gear, state of tyres, ALWAYS check my front fender and beake lines. You sure scared the living crap out of many of us!!
    Two wheels down,
    Mihai from Romania

" 'cause tramps like us,
    Baby, we were born to run. "
  14. albany23

albany23 Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Any word on Finn? I tried to enter lostrider.com, (i have in my bookmark bar, for crying out loud), and it's password portected. Anything going on i don't know about? Help with some info....
    Thanks,
    Mihai
  15. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    he's gone AWOL
  16. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    Riding the piss out of his bike...
    Site is password protected because he sold out of his kit (or so I heard...). Glad I got mine while the getting was good.:deal

BTW - he'll be back with some kick ass RR. :evil And I can't wait for it!

He's inspired the inner-farkler in all of us. My wife HATES him.:lol3
  17. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    All I get on http://lostrider.com is a domain parking page - not a password protected / authentication (401) required page.

oooh. correction: http://[B]www[/B].lostrider.com has a 401 page: which means his DNS is setup incorrectly. Usually you'd have the * A record set to the same as the www A record, or just * as the main A record which www would answer to. Really, who actually uses the www distinction anymore anyway?

But yeah, he's busy. Not a big deal.
  18. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI,,for those of you wondering what he's doing....

just in today...a progress report...

''Hey Woody,

Just wanted to share a couple images, I'm putting your wheels to good use. Matter of fact I'm trying real hard to break them and am unsuccessful.
    Feel free to use any of my photos as you please.

Thanks again. ''

Finn

The rest are here:

https://lostrider.smugmug.com/Motorcy...3609&k=Xv3GN7h

looks like he's busy,,,i told him to beat the s--- out of em,,,,lordy, he's really taking me seriously:wink:

attaboy finn...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    ^^^ WOW! Very impressing climbing on a bike that heavy and fully loaded - props! Sweet mods to the F8, its looking good.
  20. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Misrepresented

Oddometer:
    Damn. . . i'm all freaked out now about my low fender and TKC80 on my 950A. . . :eek1 hevn't heard of this problem before, but it's hard to forget your recorded crash!!

So glad to hear that everyhting has turned out well for you! Progressive took very good care of me on one of my accidents.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.