1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

F800GS handguards?? You got them? lets see them! Pics please!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 4, 2008.

1. LavaFrog

LavaFrog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    re: question about Throttle lock and HDB guards - answered by Paul from HDB during our email conversation- Thanks Paul BTW!!
    >>During my F800GS guard and bar purchase these questions came up and thought I would share this info. for those thinking about the HDB and throttle lock purchase. NUMB- the two options from HDB shown are-the f800gs or the f650gs - during purchase just mention you will be adding throttle lock and Paul(HDB) will work it out.

per Paul*HDB- "The top clamp for a F800GS is 98x38/40mm, but the 800 kit comes with longer guards and new bar end weights, and uses the stock 12mm bar end bolts. If you go with new bars I can install the standard threaded inserts and other bar end weights, or shorter guards and no weights or the internal Anti-Vibe inserts, but I'd need to know."
    "I can get the bars(PestranaFMX) and install the AV(anti-vibe) inserts, the longer guards are just to accommodate the bar end weights because they add length and if you'd like to get a throttle lock in the future. The weights will help with the vibration."
    >>I went with the longer guards as suggested, since i will eventually get a throttle lock for my slab commute to the Bay. BTW the bend of the new bar(PestranaFMX) does not give me the sleepy hands as did the factory bar.

Originally Posted by cathulu [​IMG]
    " The hdb force your bar into a certain position, you can't rotate the bar up for additional standing room for tall guys. That I didn't expect."
    >> I think cathulu - means the guards will touch the windscreen at farthest point during turn and so rotating the bars forward will be limited- noticed this a little bit with the stock windscreen and no riser bars in my setup- my height 5'9". <no resolution> I adapted- since it was minor angle change for me. ~ Chris
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I thought that link would send you to the exact post you wanted...
    It works for me ... :cry
  3. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:

:rofl I'm talking about the all black screen :deal
  4. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Touratech on a F650GS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    I've posted about the lighter bark buster bar ends before. The replacement bar ends you get from bark busters is light and there are noticeably more vibes.
    I went ahead and installed the new EXTERNAL bar ends I bought from twisted throttle:
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6651/203/
    [​IMG]
    They were easy to install. It even works with my kaoko throttle lock. (Crappy iphone pic below).
    I didn't want the bark busters to shift while I unscrewed the main bolt that goes into the handle bar, so I used packaging tape around the plastic deflector and the handgrip. That way, everything stays lined up and easy to install.
    So now the total is:

total bb parts left = 5.6 oz
    + new external bar end 6.35 oz
    = 11.95 oz

total bb parts right = 5.3 oz
    + new external bar end 6.35 oz
    = 11.65 oz

total oem parts = 9.8 oz

I went for a brief ride and noticed less vibes.
    All I really wanted was the stock weight, but the total is now a bit heavier than stock, so that's nice.
    The End. Hope this helps some folks. :freaky

Attached Files:

6. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to install the 1200GS handguards on the 800GS, would someone who has them on their bike please post pics of the mounts that attach to the handlebars to see what mods are needed, please?
  7. Bombauer

Bombauer Vroom

Oddometer:
    I've got Barkbuster BHG32 handguards on my 800, but one is pretty bent from some 'adventure'. I'm not sure it will take another hit without damaging my brake lever, so I went to replace it with the same model.

But NOW the BHG32 handguard style has changed?! The same model number, but now some short stubby thing that mounts right next to the controls, compared with long bars that mount right up by the handlebar risers.

Barkbuster even has pictures of BOTH styles on their web page?!?! http://www.barkbusters.net/products/167.html

Twisted Throttle sent me the newer style, but obviously they're not as good (I don't like where they mount).

Can someone recommend either a) a source for the better old, long style BHG32 handguards, or (b) recommend a different company's handguards that mount similarly close to the bar risers as the old style Barkbusters?
  8. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I installed the Wunderlich plastic covers over the BMW steel guards. Anyone want a pair of BMW covers with the spoilers?

Fred
  9. Bombauer

Bombauer Vroom

Oddometer:
    I received this clarification from Barkbusters:

The BHG32 is our current model specific handguard that fits F800GS, F650GS(twin), R1200GS & HP2 Megamoto. Previously there were different versions for each bike.
    The F800GS kit was previously called a "BHG16", and this is the kit which had the longer alloy backbones and mounted further down the handlebar. Upon release of the BHG32 all other applications were superseded to the new version.

After checking the website it is apparent that our web hosts have not updated these images correctly. I will get onto this immediately.

You mention that the part code for the product you originally purchased is BHG32. Therefore, you should have received the "shorter" alloy backbones with the set that was fitted to the bike.
    If the handguards which you originally fitted had the longer backbones then it would seem that it was a "BHG16" kit re-labelled as a "BHG32".

The longer style of backbone which was previously used for the model specific F800 kit is not available on its own. However, this same backbone profile is now used in two other model specific applications. The "BHG20" for R1150GS and the "BHG33" for Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Although the bars aren't available on their own they are contained within these other two kits.

10. Corona

Corona Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I am on a trip at the moment and I am getting some problems with my hands due to the vibes caused by my BBs over 5 weeks. My interim plan has been to buy some lead fishing weights and bash them flat with some rocks on the side of the road. These are now taped onto the end of the bars and has helped a bit. I have added 80g but from your calculations it looks like I am still below stock by 40grams. I will try adding some more flattened weights tonight.
  11. nytrashman

nytrashman old and in the way

Oddometer:
    i put a set of aeroflow handgards on my F650, there big but offer excellent weather protection. they also work with my vista cruise.

[​IMG]
  12. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I&#8217;m having an issue with my barkbusters + kaoko install. Once I snug the BB + kaoko items onto the throttle side, the throttle binds up, even with the kaoko knob totally released. I searched and couldn&#8217;t find the details, but IIRC, the solution is to move the entire throttle grip inboard about 1mm? This would provide more clearance between the end of the grip and the kaoko before engaging.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I got the mirror moved inboard, but the switches and throttle aren&#8217;t as easy to figure out. All I can find on the switch assembly is a pair of T10 screws on the back, and a single T20 on the back of the throttle. Is it just a matter of loosening these screws and sliding them inboard?

Update: Finally found some discussion of the problem: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564379&highlight=kaoko+throttle<o:p></o:p>
  13. SportFaller

SportFaller Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer:
    anyone running highway dirtbike guards with a mirage 2 fairing? I'm wondering if there are any clearance issues, even with my scotts riser/damper.
  14. Tessitori

Tessitori Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for input on hand guards to be mounted on a '02 F650GS with a Ztechnik Windshield. I read somewhere that I will need to raise my bars, which is not a problem at all! If you have images please do post them.
  15. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  16. dem

dem Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    could you upload some pics please?
  18. dem

dem Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm considering the barkbusters storm. I only saw one post on this thread about them. Anybody using them and how do you like them? Any issues? I noticed some posts about barkbusters using lower weights. Any additional info and pics would be great.
  20. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Here's the BB Storms...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bar weights are not as heavy as OEM and it seems that the new generation connect to the bars further away from the clamps (closer to the controls) .

No clearance issues, I have yet to crash test...:evil

My only fear is that a few good drops will bend the bars. If I were to do it again, I might be more inclined to install the HDB (Highway Dirt Bike's)