F800GS handprotectors

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by tsutomusan, Jan 8, 2009.

1. tsutomusan

tsutomusan n00b

Oddometer:
    I jUst picked up a 2009 F800GS and installed the BMW "bark busting bars" and the large handprotectors, with the BMW extensions. The whole structure sits too far forward and doesn't keep the wind off your hands. The metal bar is robust and will do it's job well. The hand protectors don't keep the wind off your hands and even in the mid-30's with the heated handgrip "on" your hands get cold. I had a 1200GSAdv previously and the "wrap-around" protectors keep the cold out and would even keep my hands dry in the rain as long as I was moving. Who makes protectors that keep the wind and rain off your hands for the 800GS?
  2. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have the large or small protectors? Do you have the extension?

If you don't like those, the 12GS's will bolt right up...
  3. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can lash up a pair of elephant ears. They come on and off in less than a minute. Malcolm Smith sells a pair for about $30. The are quite effective, but if you are into "cosmetics" you probably want to take them off when not needed. They are designed to sort of wrap around the hand protectors.
  4. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 1200 GSA's will bolt on as well. I have the BMW ones with the large deflectors and granted, we dont get much below 40F, they seem to offer more than adequate protection. I hate the cold!!
  5. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    I have found the same problem, I have the barkbusters, hanguards, and deflectors, there is still a lot of wind hitting your hands.

There's a thread somewhere where an inmate added a deflector to the bottom of the handguard, and IIRC it did help a bit.
  6. cisco

cisco old fat guy

Oddometer:
    Ok you got my attention. What are elephant ears?
  7. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Those things on the side of an elephant's head that allow them to hear things and fan themselves when it's hot.
    :rofl
  8. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    i added a top spoiler to the bottom of the bmw handguards and am very happy with the wind coverade and the lever protection
    [​IMG]
  9. tsutomusan

tsutomusan n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the "large" protectors with the extensions and it's very ineffective compared to the setup on my 2007 R1200GS Adv. When I picked up the bike I was told the 1200GS protectors would not fit on the 800GS when I used the solid bar protectors.
  10. tsutomusan

tsutomusan n00b

Oddometer:
    I went to Malcolm Smith website but couldn't locate the "elephant ears". Thanks for the suggestion. I'll call them tomorrow.
  11. tsutomusan

tsutomusan n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photo. One pic is worth alot. Great idea, but I'm not sure it will wrap around enough to provide the coverage to keep the wind off my hands, as the whole structure sits very far forward. I'll check out the Malcolm Smith "elephant ears".
  12. tsutomusan

tsutomusan n00b

Oddometer:
    What are the "lights" in the handprotectors?
  13. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
  14. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to the MSR product. I just bought a pair from Moose Racing that cost less than $20.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/msr/msr_handshield.htm

Be sure to click on the small picture in the link to see how they mount up.

They are EXTREMELY effective and simple to put on an off as needed. The Moose version (could not find them online) are designed better IMO and look killer.
  15. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very clever. Mmmmmmmm, whats that white stuff? We don't get that here in Queensland!!ha ha
  16. M N B

Oddometer:
    Since I only just got my spoilers (they were backordered), I fit both to one handguard by holding them in place just to see if it would be viable. I noticed that it would be necessary to modify the bottom spoiler to fit properly, but it doesn't look like it'd be that difficult. It will also require a different mounting hole since you have to shave some off the edge to make it fit.
  17. cisco

cisco old fat guy

Oddometer:
    Do they flap in the wind like my Labs ears when he sticks his head out of the window?
  18. M N B

Oddometer:
    Only a little, but they do stick their tongue out... :rofl