F800GS Instrument Cluster

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oldtom, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Oldtom

Oldtom n00b

Oddometer:
    Gedday all long time reader first time poster!
    Been reading through the thousands of threads on the mighty F8 looking for info on faulty instrument cluster. There is a couple threads about faulty instrument clusters but Im still looking for answers. My cluster stopped one day mid ride along a smooth highway. It came to life again shortly after and then stopped a couple of minutes later. I have checked things out and I am sure that there is a loose connection internal of the cluster. Being electronic they are usually throw away items but they are soooo expensive. Id rather spend the $1500 - $2000 on petrol. Does anyone know of who can repair these things in oz or a less expensive fix to get this going again?
  2. djc

djc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi,dont know a lot about these things,however when I was repairing these bikes I bought a cluster & headlight from motorworks bmw from England for $945.oo landed{this was when the exchange rate was at about62-63}I do have a s/hand cluster, they read incorrectly when plugged into a different vin,i,ve read some where here you can change the chip that controls this?.Im a auto electrician in Brisbane & we send car clusters to various people for repairs,im sure there are people over there that do similar things,it could be as simple as a solder joint at the plug on the board. darren
  3. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    I have a GS-911 diagnostic device for my F8. The software can test the instrument cluster. Try and find a local BMW owner who might have one:

http://www.hexcode.co.za/
  4. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:

..or join your local BMW club. http://www.bmwmccwa.asn.au/
    The Perth branch have the diagnostic tool and hold occasional tuning days for members, come on down.
    ian408 likes this.
  5. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
  6. Oldtom

Oldtom n00b

Oddometer:
    Fixed the problem by pulling the cluster apart and using a tooth pick push and prob on the electronic components until I found the dodgey one that was causing the intermittent fault. Next problem was to find an electronic guy who would look at it. Found a 70 year old semi retired German fella who went over the board and resoldered it for nothing. True gentleman. But I cannot walk away and not pay so I went and bought him a six pack of German beer. He was a happy man. Put the bits all back together and she went. Two happy people.:rofl:clap:freaky
  7. kdubachelor

kdubachelor n00b

Oddometer:

Anyone need to fix f800gs instrument cluster can email me (kdubachelor@yahoo.com). I provide repair service for dead cluster or burned faded lcd.

I have helped someone from oversea (Bali) to repair his unit.
    richo360 likes this.
  8. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Once you replace the cluster, you will need to have the unit programmed-no chip replacement). You also want to get the correct unit for your bike.

If you just want to take it apart and to repair it, you may want to get a repair kit (gasket/face plate).
  9. kdubachelor

kdubachelor n00b

Oddometer:

I use back the original board and replace only fault parts, of course need some reprogramming if required. Normally those gasket can be replace if water seal is in bad condition.
  10. kaiserx

kaiserx n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for solutions of fixing the instrument cluster on my 2010 F8 but haven't found one.. the bike starts fine but the cluster is not working thou after a while it turns on or the clock stops every time you turn off the ignition and continues only when its turned on or when engine is running. I looked for loose electronic components and used a digital tester to test the capacitors but the figures are fine. Until one day i decided to replace the capacitor coz of the usual symptoms of a failing capacitor and bwala!! its back working again.. sharing this coz this info might save you some sleepless nights and a few hundred bucks of buying another instrument cluster :D.. btw i used the non-smd type coz the smd's are not available at the time just make sure you glue it to prevent it from falling off.

Attached Files:

11. kymbo

kymbo kymbo

Oddometer:
    cheers, thanks 4 heads up.
    kaiserx likes this.
  12. plinz

plinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

What year model is yours ??

Linz
  13. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:

Can't tell you the specifics but it is the latest model relevant to the new R1200 LC models.
  14. mikes875

mikes875 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks to kaiserx for the fix above for a blank instrument cluster on a F800 or in my case BMW R1200R 2008. Mine was having the same symptoms, clock was not keeping time, when you turn the key off the clock would stop and show the same time when the key was turned on.

After some months like this, the screen started going completely blank, it would eventually light up a few minutes after the key was turned on.

I replaced the capacitor indicated by kaiserx and the clock now keeps time and the speedo, lcd etc work perfectly.

To remove the capacitor I used wire cutters to cut it in half, removed the old broken bits and then soldered on the new one (note the polarity as can be seen in kaiserx photos).

The most difficult part was removing the needles without marking the face. To do this I put thin cardboard over the face to protect it and used 2 teaspoons, one on each side to lever it off.

Very happy indeed given the capacitor was about 30 cents v's a new instrument cluster was well over $1k.

Great having the clock keeping time again too.
  15. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:

Awesome... at MAX Instruments we used to twist the pointers off..... gently.

Your t spoon idea sounds good!
  16. stoz

stoz n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello
    What size was the capacitor. Mine has failed and it looks like a 100 micro farad 16volt. Is that correct?
    Thanks
    Stoz
  17. kaiserx

kaiserx n00b

Oddometer:
    3569E7D2-3A31-447D-8961-E3B71D6F06F0.png
    yes its a 100uF capacitor.. just make sure of the polarity (+/-)
  18. bellgae1

bellgae1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Can I ask you how you got your case apart? I was just involved in an accident where the glass is all smashed out on mine and I took the instrument cluster off, took all of the screws and plugs out but still cannot get the front faceplate off.
  19. kaiserx

kaiserx n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, you have to take the dial pins and the face first then remove the screws indicated in the pics.. lift it a bit and push a little to the right to detach it from the plastic back cover.. sorry for the late reply btw

Attached Files:

20. stoz

stoz n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks all complete and working fine.
    ricardokv likes this.