1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

F800GS - More Problems with mine, lets hear about yours....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Lost Roadie, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    So I went down to the dealership this afternoon to discuss my options for the bike. It appears there might have been a teeny mis-communication before. Assumptions were made that were premature concerning diagnosis of the problem.

In discussing the crack with my service manager today it came to light that the FSE had not yet been made aware that there was an issue.

My service manager had not seen or heard of such a crack happening before and therefore simply made the assumption that the crack must have been my fault. He left it at that, came up with a repair estimate for me, and did not inform anyone else higher up in the system that he had a bike with a broken case sitting in the shop.

After I informed him that such a crack had in fact been seen before and that in that particular case it had been determined that the damage was related to a casting issue he immediately filed a PuMA and sent the information up to the BMW mother-ship. No harm no foul. I'm just glad that we are back on the right track and are taking the correct next steps regardless of what the FSE determines down the road.

Obviously this means that no official determination concerning the origin of the crack or whether BMW is going to fix it in part or full under warranty has yet been made.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    :clap Whew ... that's a relief!
    Keep us posted!
  3. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Although you're not out of the woods yet, this is AWESOME news! Definitely a HUGE step in the right direction. :clap
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad it got punted upstairs. Hope it works out for you.
  5. M N B

Oddometer:
    What makes you think Suzuki wouldn't take the same stance if the chain breaks on a DR650 in a similar fashion and the bike ends up with a cracked case?
  6. M N B

Oddometer:
    I see. I don't see how an FSE can make a determination without actually examining the engine.

I'd threaten legal action. BMW would be forced to pay all costs if they lose. That might motivate them to put a little effort into investigating the failure.

It sucks you're getting the run around like this.
  7. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    Had been looking forward to a desert ride w/friends over the weekend. The ride comprised of some gravel roads, two track and mellow single track, nothing too technical. The tighter stuff was like many cow trails you'l find in the desert, winding through 2-4 ft sage brush. Some of the more stout brush I could feel on the foot pegs. All the sudden, the F8 shifted into neutral. I rolled to a stop, tried to shift into first and nothing. Only neutral~however I could shift up to second but once I let go of the shift pressure it would automatically go back to neutral.

I was able to get back by holding my toe in the upshift position, and luckily I wasn't deep in the back country. :vardy

After searching around, l am leaning toward a bent internal shift lever from possible sage brush (?) impact:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680080

Makes me question if this bike is too fragile for the type of riding I want to do. Will know more in a few days. :dunno
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    What just happened..... A bunch of post deleted....or something else..???

Erling
  9. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problems this is normal on our server to lose pages or posts for a while but the will come back. They are caught in server limbo land.:D
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha-ha.... I see..... :thumb:thumb

Erling
  11. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    I deleted my posts for private reasons. At least until the issues with my F800 get straightened out I feel that it is better to hold my tongue on some things, especially my interactions with BMW. The bike is up for sale and I may already have a bite on it as is...with the cracked engine case and all. Not a bad offer either. The guy wants to do some mods to it and build on some big gun racks (the kind that'll hold AR15s). He's actually happy to do all the repair work on the engine cause it'll give him a chance to get in and do the frame mods at the same time.

When doing cost/benefit on the repair my "todo" list of mods that I wanted done while the engine was out turned into my "Pro/Con" list and the Cons (sheer number of things I wanted done to it to make it a better bike) significantly outweighed the pros. I've decided selling is the best thing....otherwise I might end up spending another $20 grand building the F800 into the bike that it should have been when BMW designed it.

So it looks like, at least right now, I'm giving up on my troublesome and fragile (but always super fun to ride) F800GS.

Still hoping BMW comes out with an SE model of the F800 that is built for serious adventuring that will pass muster in my hands for durability and adventureworthyness --- something that is at least as worthy as the 650 Dakar if not more like a KTM.

In the meantime I've still got my F650GS single which has been TROUBLE FREE since I bought it seven years ago and has been in more rough terrain than my F800 ever saw without once crying out that I was riding it too hard.

The DR650 is taking my F800s place as my distance riding adventure bike for right now. But who knows, maybe I'll pull the engine out of my F800, sell the crappy frame off for parts, and put the engine in a frame that is lighter, stronger where it counts, and more minimally built than the stock setup. Whatever I go with it won't have tires any wider than 130s, ABS is out, and adjustable fuel mapping is in --->

---> What was really the single most annoying issue with my F800 was fuel mapping. I could get 56+mpg on my F800 @ 55 mph but by the time I reached 70 mph I was getting low 40 mpgs (above 80 I was in the 30's as far as mpgs go). My DR650 gets 48 mpg regardless of speed or payload...48 mpg @ 80 mph and 48 mpg @ 50 mph. And the F800 would ping if I had to use regular fuel because none of the good stuff was available...what kind of adventure bike can't handle the normal gas you get in out of the way places that you'd take the bike if you were going on an adventure? I actually asked that question to BMW and was told that if I were to need to use regular gas I should carry an additive to boost octane because engine damage due to using the wrong gas would void my warranty...seriously???

It seems like the only thing that wouldn't void the warranty on that bike was letting it sit in the garage and it was always too fun of a bike to do that.

-> methinks BMW needs to take a few pointers from the 1980s when designing adventure bikes --- ultimately hoping to find an R80GS to replace my fallen F800. R80 stock wet weight 410 lbs. F800 stock wet weight 455 lbs and getting heavier with each model year.

[​IMG]
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:

I fully understand....and would have done the same thing......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    If you get one ... we want you to take it apart weigh it and tell us where BMW has screwed the pooch here... :wink:

I would NEVER have guessed that the R80 would tip the scales at a comparatively skinny 410lbs...
    and it's a freaking shaft drive! :huh
  14. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    After reading all this,i think i'll keep my KLR!:rofl
  15. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that thing in the pic is an R100GSPD and they weighed about 520 lbs.
  16. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Perhaps after taking your DR650 on a few good, long adventure rides, it will help ease the pain from the loss of your F800GS. If well set up the DR is pretty capable and may surprise you, especially off road. If you don't travel too heavy and up date the suspension the DR does better than expected.

I ride my DR back to back with my Tiger and Vstrom DL1000 On Road and the 'ol DR continues to impress and surprise. I also ride it back to back with my WR250F off road and the same applies. It's better than it has a right to be.

I hope the outcome with your F800 is a positive one. :slurp
  17. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Verdict: As expected, bent shift shaft. $409 repair at the dealer. Dealer determined abuse, therefore not covered under warranty since I changed out the gear shifter to the more stout Wunderlich with the folding peg. :cry
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    $409? :eek1
    A replacement selector shaft assembly is only about $90 ... did you bust some other stuff along with it?
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is labor associated with the r&r of the left case to install the fork......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  20. M N B

Oddometer:
    That part doesn't look fragile, how thick were the trunks, branches of the brush you were riding through?