F800GS My Custom Farkles

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by TreeFarmer, Feb 23, 2009.

1. TreeFarmer

TreeFarmer Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have threatened long enough, time to start this thread. I have to say I LOVE A GOOD PROJECT! Probably to a fault. Plus the fact I can’t leave well enough alone and add to that, the fact I love to be a little different. So I get these ideas in my head all the time. Then I wake up in the middle of the night, can’t get back to sleep, so I go over these ideas in my head over & over again until I figure out how to solve a problem. Alas, I figured lets actually follow through with a few of them. This thread will develop over the next several weeks as all of the slated projects come to fruition.

First idea was not really an idea as much as it was a question of what to get because this was an absolute necessity for me. I have to admit Touratech played a big part in my thought process. This was the item that got me thinking: http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/media2/01-048-0101-01-lg.jpg?-session=touratech:42A28602055f916A38vMh374601C (sorry, can't get the darn picture to imbed) But I thought I can do better than that. It would be real nice to have something like that, only bigger. Cuz of course, who doesn’t like a big…. Well let’s get back to the story. How about putting a “GS” logo into the rack as well, I haven’t seen one of those. So I put pencil to paper and started this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423287. This is where I have to give a GREAT BIG SHOUT OUT to Mudhen K-27 http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=116270.
    Honestly I can’t thank him enough. Thanks again JP. I highly suggest anybody needing a little graphic help send a member some love & throw your business his way. Here is my first attempt and quite frankly I really liked it.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>I Spent a lot of time on it. The problem was, the rack ended up hanging over the back of the seat so a passenger would have this plate poking them in the backside.</o:p>
    <o:p><o:p>Insert overriding rule for all projects going forward: My goal with this and all of the projects I will be describing is to not alter the bike in such a way as to not be able to undo the changes. Also, anything I make would fit on any bike as a “direct bolt on” and, would be desirable to anyone wanting an upgrade. Then when you are tired of the item it is removable and the bike is back to stock. All this while trying to use the highest level of craftsmanship to achieve the desired goal.</o:p></o:p>
    <o:p><o:p>
    </o:p>
    The general dimensions are 14” wide & 12” deep. I kept with these measurements through the entire process. I figured that would be big enough to carry a ½ rack of the local micro brew to the nightly campground. Next I came up with this:

[​IMG]

This put the rack farther back, but maybe too much so. The leverage on the back end would be too great if you were carrying something very heavy. The next design would move the mounting points to more of a center location and put a little cut out in the front of the plate. As I drew it out, over & over again, I could not get the mounting points centered without shrinking the plate down too much or putting a great big (ugly) cut out in it. So I compromised and this is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

The rack is made out of ¼” 6061 aluminum. The plate has a 3/8” theme across all the measurements. The design is waterjet cut out of a large plate, de-burred and the mounting points counter sunk into the plate and use stainless steel hardware. It then receives a “brushed” finish and is clear anodized. I could have chosen some color, but I kind of liked the silver. The other bits I am working on will be black so the bike will stay true to the original colors. I do like themes and thus you begin to get the idea about this and the other projects as I go forward. I will let the pictures do the talking from here.

<o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>I have given some thought to making additional & possibly selling them. If there is an interest I could. Not a sales pitch just a thought (mods I will put something in the flea market if I decide to do it).</o:p>
    <o:p>Needless to say, I hope you guys like it, I sure am proud. This is certainly the best quality farkle I have ever made and something I can call my own. I will have the next farkle bit in a few weeks. It looks like I am going to need some help on figuring out a few things on that one, so stay tuned.</o:p>
    <o:p>TreeFarmer</o:p></o:p>
  2. springfish

springfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pics aren't working.
  3. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
  5. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. TreeFarmer

Oddometer:
    Everything should be all fixed now. Please let me know if not... I am sure you guys will. & thanks for the short term fix guys.

TreeFarmer
  7. Iron Horse

Iron Horse I Make Shit Up

Oddometer:
    Hey Tree!

That looks awesome! Glad you are stoked!

:clap

jp
  8. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    Looks great, treefarmer. Do you think it flexes a bit with the 'GS' being right in the middle of the mounts?
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Good work, Tree Man! I bet the tie-down slots will work much better than the ones on the TT plate that I have. Well done!

David
  10. thelouv

thelouv ocd

Oddometer:
    Wow, and I thought I was spending a lot of time communicating with my guy digitizing the vinyl logos to get them just right! Great feeling isn't it when you know you have accomplished something like that. Looks like a real quality piece to be proud of.
  11. mrpete64

mrpete64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice job.
  12. TreeFarmer

Oddometer:
    No I really don&#8217;t think so. There is a lot of material around the bulk of the plate which makes it incredibly strong. If there is one flaw, it's the vertical bits on the lettering. But then again, I tried to get those to flex and bend and was unable to make anything happening. I think it would take something pretty big on the rack (well over 50 pounds) and some very aggressive terrain to maybe cause some damage to the rack. But then there would probably be some collateral damage to other bits on the bike as well. Needless to say it's pretty stout.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    My welding buddy has a saying: "If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing."<o:p></o:p>
  13. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    It looks like the perfect milk crate size and everything, pretty nice.

Couple extra holes here and there you could bolt just about any type of luggage plate there and run whatever you want.

I wonder what it would look like powder coated black.

Or Linex-ed maybe?