F800GS oil pan

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by reddof, Jul 30, 2011.

1. reddof

reddof Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know the torque specifications for the oil pan bolts on a 2009 F800GS? Is there a pattern for tightening them?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming you removed the oil pan and gasket... so these pictures are just for the reinstalling part.

Gasket first:

[​IMG]

Oil Pan next:

[​IMG]

:freaky
  3. reddof

reddof Adventurer

Oddometer:
    THANKS! That is exactly what I need. I busted a hole in the pan and had to replace it. I didn't think about needing this until after I had the old one off.
  4. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you bust a hole in the oil pan? Offroad?
  5. reddof

reddof Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we were riding some trails and went down some rock ledges (sort of like stair steps). I was riding a bit too aggressive when I came off one of them and hit pretty hard. The "funny" part of the story is that I had the BMW aluminum skid plate on the bike, but it turns out that this doesn't provide much protection (possibly even making it worse). I dented the skid plate, busted one of the welds, and shoved the mounting bracket through the oil pan.

Ignoring the fact that it bolts directly to the engine, there are several other flaws with the design of BMW's skid plate (thin metal, weak welds, welds in the wrong place, flimsy mounting bracket, sharp corner on the mounting bracket). Several other manufacturers have much better designs.
  6. albany23

albany23 Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    I have an oil loss right around the gasket. I have to replace it now, but i was wondering if i need anything else except the gasket? I mean screws or any other gasket? My bike only has 10,000 kms and no redzone action, nor offroad,except beach rides.
    Thanks!
    Mihai
  7. Tom Morrison

Tom Morrison Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering which bracket went through the oil pan? Front one, or one of the bottom ones? Thx.
  8. reddof

reddof Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was on the bottom.

The very front bracket with the bolt that goes horizontal at the front of the motor was fine. The 4 rubber bolts in the bottom tore and allowed enough movement for the square corner on the metal bracket to push through the oil pan. If you look at the second picture that EnderTheX posted showing the bolt pattern, it pushed through the little drain channel that is below the #8 in the picture.
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in the same boat, but I didn't have the protector, the pan got "creased" a massive speed bump down here.
    Did you have to replace the gasket? Anything else you checked while you were in there?
    Thanks!
  10. reddof

reddof Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember if I "had" to replace the gasket, but I probably did since I had it off. There was nothing else I did other than peek around out of curiosity.
  11. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Red, the gasket looks like a bit of a pain as it has bolts that hold it to the swing weight counter balancer cover according to the manual.
    Other than that, it looks straightforward. For what it is worth, I doubt a pan protector would have helped me, probably would have been worse with a broken pan attachment point. It creased the pan just ahead of the drain plug near the pan mounting boss. Now appears the crease has opened up as my emergency repair lasted 1,000 miles.
    Not many options here, I thought about JB Weld or having the pan welded but it will likely be more of a pain in the butt than just bolting on a new one.
    Paying for peace of mind.
  12. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    First off thanks for the tq specs on the oil pan. Came in handy tonight.

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> After a 1000 mile trip last weekend I’ve discovered an oil leak. Nothing very serious, but enough to pool onto my bash plate and drip onto floor. I’m guessing 1/8 of a quart.
    I had just changed the oil/filter prior to the trip. But it didn’t look like oil was coming from the plug or the filter.
    I removed the bash plate and cleaned it up. Then I cleaned off the motor and ran the bike for about 15 minutes. Once to to temp I turned off the motor to have a closer look. Darn it! Looks like the oil pan gasket was weeping. Again, the oil plug was clean. The oil filter area was clean. Just the gasket area had obvious weeping all along the front half of the oil pan.
    I got out my ¼” torque wrench and found the spec for the bolts to be 12NM (14 for the replacement bolts). I followed the pattern recommended to tighten. I was very surprised to find ALL of the oil pan bolts extremely loose. And worse, not consistent. I was shocked at how loose they were. (Yet pleased as I’m confident this was the reason for the serious weeping.) If I do have a recurring leak, I’ll go ahead and R&R the oil pan gasket. But I’m thinking it won’t need it and that I have solved the problem. I’ll update with any results.

Might check those if you have nothing better to do and want to tinker,.

:freaky
  13. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    Yep. A lot of the engine bolts loosen over time as the gasket squishes. Retorque your engine side covers as well. The tightening pattern is not as critical on a retorque so you can just go "round the clock".

I re-used a pan gasket recently. seeped a bit but a retorque after 500 miles stopped it.
  14. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pan gasket is the metal piece, very flexible and very thin, not a conventional gasket. I reused mine, had no need to retorque it and leak free, when I had to change the oil pan. Still looking for a good way to weld up the old pan and keep it as a spare, who knows what metal it is made of?

The sequence is the most important thing, next to the very light torque of only 12nm which equals only 8 ftlbs.
  15. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Just to confirm, my oil leak has been fixed. That took care of the problem. Came out of nowhere...just after an oil change.
  16. Jays-f800gs

Jays-f800gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure its cast aluminum.
  17. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    It'll make a nice ashtray.
  18. Jays-f800gs

Jays-f800gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depending on the hole/crack I've Jb welded my cast pan on a bmw car with success.
  19. Sjones423

Sjones423 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else re-used the gasket to any success? Just changed my pan, and toying with reusing the existing one.