F800GS One wheel in the grave?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Cyrotronix, Jul 16, 2020.

1. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    I know I had no metal when I changed the plastic gears, but a hundred km later sump was full of shredded bearing.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Ok.............. now the slow old guy understands:
    Cyrotronix likes this.
  3. Cyrotronix

Cyrotronix Should I do it? ... I'm going to do it.

Oddometer:

I bought that set up from Amazon and hooked it up to the port where the sensor would have gone on the older models. Worked like a charm. Was a little tight for my sasquatch hands, but it did work.

The oil pressure is good. But damn does it seem go me like it's getting hot fast. Very hot.
  4. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I've been very sick, but am now getting well, I'll be getting on this soon....

Hot? The oil gets hot fast ???

At a tech. session I was told the oil to anti-freeze "intercooler" / heat-exchanger actually works both ways...
    warming the cold oil in a cold engine (oil circulates past the hot coolant from engine block before the radiator thermostat opens)
    then as bike warms up when oil gets hotter than the coolant the heat-exchanger works to maintain oil ~= to coolant temp if that makes sense.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Sure does. Quicker warm up = less emissions.
  6. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and less wear.
  7. Cyrotronix

Oddometer:

What year engine did you put in your bike? Thinking this may be the route I have to end up going I've been looking around, and mostly all I am finding are engines from 2009 or 2010. I'm not sure if it matters? Is the computer picky about that in anyway?
  8. The Maz

Oddometer:
    It seems to sound better than my original one did. Until I start having a stator problem, I won't switch over to the upgraded flywheel that I have out of my old one.
  9. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Never heard of any computer issues, but not read of many engine swaps either.

Mechanical things that got improved after 2009/2010 include:
    water pump (less leak prone & different gears) & stator (vented)

I have heard rumors of improvements to injectors to better deal with ethanol in fuel but nothing to hang my hat on............
  10. Cyrotronix

Oddometer:
    A little update on all of this. I have not bought a new engine, but decided to try and figure out what is wrong with the one I have. Slowly I've been dissecting it piece by piece, yesterday I separated the crank case, I have yet to pull the crank and pistons out but I've yet to find any damage. What I did find were plastic teeth I had missed. Five good sized ones, that were sitting on the metal gasket above the oil pan. Which I'd think means they were able to get I to the oil circulation?
    Loutre likes this.
  11. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Much respect for your dissection. When my engine faibles I jumped on a deal I found 4 months later for about 550 bucks. Changed the engine for one with only 3k kms on it vs 114k on my previous one. The swap can be done in a week-end and gave me peace of mind for when riding it now.
  12. The Maz

Oddometer:
    @Loutre that was one heluva deal. Mine was 2300.00 cdn.
  13. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yeah couldn't pass on that. Came from like 1800kms away for just 50 bucks. Turned out it was à 2009 model and it had the head gasket leak that hadn't been replaced but I had à spare in the garage and did it on the way in. Currently looking into changing back to the flywheel that I had on my 2010 model and I'm good to go for another 100k. The Guy even gave me spare parts with the engine that I didn't pay for.

Changed my 1150 engine two weeks ago and I can say that I'd do the 800GS twice again before takling the boxer once more.
  14. Cyrotronix

Oddometer:
    I finished the tear down tonight. For the most part the engine looks rather nice. Conord bearings and the balancer bearing look a bit rough, but nothing else around them is damaged. What I did find though is the end of the crank shaft where the timing chain gear is looks rough, and so does the part of the engine housing it sits in. No bearing there? Thought that was kind of odd. Can't find any signs that there was one there, via the parts selector online or the repair manual. Pictures might be a bit hard to see, the lighting is a bit bright. I'm assuming though, if the engine housing is damaged there isn't much saving it.

IMG_20200817_161832231.jpg IMG_20200817_162422984.jpg IMG_20200817_212352939.jpg
  15. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    @Cyrotronix and all....

So I am finally working on my bike....
    Wanted to do the oil pressure test today.
    I think the oil pressure sender is just inboard of the cam chain tensioner. ... ?
    On my bike there is another sensor inboard of that which I understand to be the temperature sensor?

Assuming I got that right I'm having a bitch of a time getting a wrench in there to loosen up the oil pressure sender.

It would seem it is 24mm and that a 12-point offset box wrench would do the job.... alas I don't have one that big...
    Has anyone come up with another trick to get it out?

thanks!
  16. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Ok... got the damn sender out ...
    I ended up buying/using and offset box wrench, and it worked but just barely ....

A 24mm socket of "just" the right length would have been the best deal but ...

my reg. 24mm socket was ~5mm too short at about 38mm overall length.
    my 24mm deep was too long to fit. I considered cutting the end off o the deep-socket to convert it to a 1/2-deep-well,
    but it was not fluted all the way down the inside and I'd have just made a mess.

A socket somewhere around ~40 to 45mm overall length likely would have been perfect...
    Long enough to get the job done, but short enough to have "working room" between back of cylinder casting and front of gas tank.

ANYWAY...................
    Oil pressure checks out,
    so now I'll move ahead to cracking open the top-end
    checking clearances and seeing what I find....