F800GS Pannier design considerations.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RedHawk47, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Captain Beardylocks

Captain Beardylocks travelling beardo

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

I'm digging back through the various pannier/exhaust threads, but does anyone know offhand which aftermarket pipes work with the holan balanced pannier racks? I know the Leo Vince Evo II worked, but they've discontinued it and the LV One is a little bit wider... I think about 5mm total, not much. Will that be enough to interfere with the racks? are there other options out there?

Any info would be great, in the mean time, I'll keep digging. Thanks!

EDIT: Found the thread for this very subject. However, if there are any new systems that people like please let me know.
  2. Cambi

Cambi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Stephen - Did you bolted the tube directly to the case?
    Could I see a picture of the installation?
    I am in a similar situation but might go for a frame installation instead of the case so I am curious to see how it worked out for you.
    Thanks.

PM sent
  3. stephen.stallebrass

stephen.stallebrass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I bolted directly to the case with wing nuts, washers and rubber O-rings. I would have preferred to have secured it to the frame but it seemed like a lot of messing about and the frames are quite snug against the bike so there's not much room. Nevertheless, I can easily get the pannier on and off without removing the tool tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. The Crow

The Crow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, you can buy Hepco & Becker, Trax, Krauser, Gobi, Kappa and obviously Touratech. If you need any help drop me an PM -I stay in Cape Town
  5. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    Excellent thread, all!

At the risk of being attacked... :wink: I wanted to post some thoughts I had on the subject that I don't think I saw raised earlier in the thread. I have to admit that I did not read every post in the 28 pages so far, but I did read a lot of them and used some search methods to see if these things had been discussed.

I should also admit that I'm not the gnarliest adventure rider out there! That's why I'm posting here--to get some advice and opinions from more seasoned riders. I've been riding my whole life, but living in the midwest with limited time and budget, my "adventures" are week long off-road adventures in Colorado, Moab, or Arkansas on my KTM 450 EXC or long weekends riding Arkansas forest roads and twisty pavement on my weestrom. I take delivery of my new BMW F800 GS this Friday! Woohoo!

Years ago, when I first saw rectangular aluminum panniers on a motorcycle, my immediate thought was that I'd hate to be hit by those in an accident. I imagined sliding down the road with my motorcycle coming after me with those metal corners. (Yeah, I'm kind of a worry-wart sometimes.)

When I bought my Vstrom, it came with a set of Givi clamshell plastic panniers and top case. I definitely thought they seemed a bit flimsy for "adventure" riding. I also thought the clamshell design would be awkward to work with. However, after 12,000 miles with a good portion of that being on gravel, creek crossings, and hard rain a few times, they have proven themselves 100% waterproof, easy to access, and worthy of my so-called adventures.

Now I have to admit (bragging perhaps) that I've never laid the Vstrom down. I'm not sure how that is possible, and if you've ridden with me, you'll agree. I probably laid my KLR650 down at least 100 times. I don't keep track of wrecks on my KTM 450 EXC! So I can't attest to the Givi plastic cases ability to withstand a real wreck. HOWEVER, I did break one off on a large stump. I was riding a remote 2-track with 7 ft weeds on both sides. The right pannier was whipping in the weeds as I cruised carefully through the ruts in 2nd gear. All of a sudden, I felt a hard bang and the backend of the bike hopped over to the left several inches. I figured I'd better check out what happend, so I stopped. When I looked back, there was my right pannier on the ground.

The cool part is that the case performed exactly as designed. The only real damage was the metal latch part broke in the case. This is a $15 easily-to-replace part and is designed to break before your racks or your bike would break. The case is designed that once the latch breaks, the case can pop up and off with little damage. I simply slid the case back onto the 2 bottom posts then bungeed the right case top to the left case until I could get my replacement latch.

After this happend I thought, what would heavy-duty aluminum cases have done? So I ask you--what is your experience with this kind of scenario, and what would you prefer to happen? I figure the best thing was exactly what happened--the alternative being that a super-strong attached case would not have popped off and instead brought me and the bike down.

Worst case, I figure, is that I completely destroy a plastic side case. OK, then I shove what I can into the other case and bungee the rest onto the back of the bike (or even throw some crap away and chalk it up to the cost of the ride). I can replace the case with a new one for under $200.

Oh, and the plastic cases are a lot lighter. Most folks seem to care a lot about weight!

Of course there are advantages of the aluminum cases, too, and if I were considering 30 days in the Outback, I'd rather have the aluminum cases or perhaps a Big Loop bag. For now, and for my little adventures, my F800 GS will have a set of Givi plastic cases attached. I tend to learn things the hard way, so I suppose after I destroy these 2 or 3 times, I'll learn my lesson and buy aluminum cases! :wink:

My opinion may also be driven by the fact the weestrom was not worthy of ATV trails and such. Since I'm an off-road rider, perhaps the F800's agility will inspire me to take it places my weestrom would not go---banging off trees and such. Aluminum cases may end up on it after all!
  6. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I guess it really depends on where you are riding and how often you fall. I've had metal boxes on my KLR (Happy trails) and on my old 1150 (Jesse) and they survived the few little tips and low speed slides they saw with no problem. On my F800 anything I've tried on the sides has been ripped off so now I just use a seat bag. On a trip with wife on the back I can stick some Hepcko bags on but then I don't go too many gnarly places with her on the back. Leaving on a three day ride this weekend with my F800 an HP2, an 1150GS, a DR650 and an X-Challenge and no one will have side bags. If we were camping I would use my Wolfman soft bags and hope for the best.

7. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    I love it! Sounds like the F800 is a machine you've been able to really take to some rugged locations! (Ripping side bags off and all!) That's what I'm hoping for--to dare a little deeper down the trail than my Vstrom cares to take me.
  8. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Check out the vids in my sig or go to APORMC.com to see a nice bike meet poor riding skills....

9. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
  10. Sohere

Sohere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nobody seems to mention the panniers from RMS (Reinhard Guhr Rennsporttechnik).
    Dunno how he deals with shipping to the US but for Europe there's no problem.

The pannier system is 35" wide and total volume is 75 litres.

Pics of my bike in Spain/Portugal with the panniers from RMS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
  12. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    So I got a new muffler... skinny and nice. I want a rack system that is symmetrical... Who makes one? :ear
  13. stephen.stallebrass

stephen.stallebrass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metal Mule & Holan.

I have the 38L Black Zega Pro on balanced Metal Mule Frames.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. JediJitsu

JediJitsu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What crash bars and skid plate are these?
  15. cptbuellx1

cptbuellx1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just asked F800 depot that same question...

They work with the Twalcom, Leo Vince, and Remus Exhausts. was the answer.
  16. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Willing to bet the Metal Mule exhaust works as well. It works with their panniers, and they're the thinnest on the market.
  17. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A late response from the OP to Troy:

I went with the Jesses. Crashed at 45 mph in gravel on the Haul Road. Bent the #%$&* out of the cans but they stayed on the bike. Have straighten out the cans and still use them.

Seeing how you like the Givis and the breakway feature I recommend Caribous. The bags are much sturdier and quaranteed if you break them. The mounts have the breakaway feature. If I replace my Jesses I will probably buy Caribou
  18. MALPRI

MALPRI n00b

Oddometer:
    has anyone fitted a full set of givi trekker bags (2-33ltr and 1-46ltr) to a f800gs? any problems etc. a photo or two would be nice,to give me a idea how they look.
  19. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Picking them up from the man himself. Figured that they should serve me well.. I like the way they look and function. Most of the Rawhyde instructors had them so I figure they must be great. Plus I like supporting a local business..

Full report coming.. The Varios that came with the bike were good for awhile but I tore them up pretty good at the on the Rawhyde deal so they are toast.
  20. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    The fact that you can adjust the pannier position fore-aft some 3" to 4" is a VERY nice feature ... unique to Jessie I think?