F800GS Pannier design considerations.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RedHawk47, Dec 7, 2008.

1. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.

Was going to suggest something like i have a extra room, a couple of GS's a few surfboards hanging around and its only a walk to the beach but the Sheilas thing and it gets crowded here with myself and four daughters i dont think you would like it. :lol3
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    U R kill'n me .... :lol3
  3. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fitted a set of BMW adventure panniers on a lower F650GS and really like them...

[​IMG]
  4. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    I wanna see more of the jeep too!
  5. mustardfj40

Oddometer:
    OK. Sorry for the side track...It's aToyota Land Cruiser

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    That thing is badass... ok back to the regular scheduled thread.
  7. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    Wolfman[​IMG]
  8. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Pictures of a recent crash on my F800 with Trax Panniers. I managed to finish two weeks of the ride but the whole pannier system is toast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted it back on with Rok Straps
    [​IMG]

Wasn't long after the left side rack weld broke
    [​IMG]

Repair with JB Weld and some wire
    [​IMG]

So.... I'm preparing for a 4 month trip to South America and really rethinking the wide ass hard pannier idea. I like the security but ......

Just posting here for reference, overall I like the Trax system and I did smash it pretty hard so I can't really blame the design or the company. I'm glad this didn't happen in Peru.

9. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if this had happened in peru you would have found someone to somehow fix it. it probably wouldn't have looked nice but most likely it would somehow have worked. seen it. what other options would you have at the time?

personally i haven't met anyone on a long trip in south america who'd voted for soft panniers for that type of trip.

not opposed to soft panniers, just saying.
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I agree with wipe-out about hard vs. soft panniers on a long, international trip. But if you're going to go plowing your panniers into boulders, you may want to consider switching to Caribous instead of aluminum panniers. They have several advantages:

1) They mount with a snap-off lock system that releases the pannier if it encounters enough force. This saves not only the pannier (and its contents) but your rack and possibly your bike's subframe too. The spare locks cost US$25, are easily replaced in the field, and you can carry several with you.

2) The plastic, Pelican-style boxes are totally bombproof. They'll remain water- and dust-tight after almost any mishap. That's why they're used all over the world for transporting cameras and delicate electronic gear. I bet that Trax box of yours will never be air-tight again.

3) Their rectangular shape means no wasted space inside (no cut-outs for the muffler), their retaining straps keeps all their contents inside when you open them, and their handles make them easy to unmount and carry into wherever you plan on spending the night. No worries about unloading their contents each night.

The only advantage to aluminum boxes that I can see is that they look cool. But for mission-critical stuff, I'll take function over form every time.

Besides, I kind of like how they look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. CaliKarl

CaliKarl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed! I love my Pelican/Storm cases as well. And for riding on difficult, unpaved/unsealed roads, they're a worthy alternative to soft bags for the reasons David just mentioned. I took a nasty spill in the Sequoia N.F. after hitting a pond of sand about a month ago, the bike traveling up an embankment and rolling back down to the road, knocking loose a large boulder. The cases now look as if a bear had clawed them all night; however, they are still water and dust proof, the racks and subframe were unharmed, and the bike was easy to pick back up as it was resting on the cases. But damn those aluminum cases are sexy!
  12. donnh

Oddometer:
    Hey - yes, this is what I was hoping for. I'm going to look into this system :clap
    I'll let you know what I decide.
  13. donnh

Oddometer:
    I agree, pretty cool looking. Do you have the same size left and right? HB Bracket?
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Same 36L panniers left and right, yes. But those are removable SW-Motech racks, which I also use with my Wolfman Expedition soft panniers when I'm riding in less civilized conditions. I have yet to find a better setup for me.

[​IMG]
  15. donnh

Oddometer:
    My wife has the Wolfman bags on her bike - I love the setup

[​IMG]

I really like the option of having soft OR hard bags..... My Trax panniers were mounted on the SW Motech removable racks which are now bent and broken beyond repair but I like the idea of quick removal. Decisions, decisions....

It looks like the standard F800 setup uses a Hepco Becker rack system Link here which is what my wife has. The Wolfman bags should mount OK on those although the racks are not as easily removed from the bike.

I will probably call in an order today since I have a short trip coming up in 10 days. Thanks for the help this is the best solution (for me) that I have seen yet. :D

16. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
  17. mustardfj40

Oddometer:
    Hi, what kind of map bag is it that you had on top of the fake tank? Thanks.
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    That's a Wolfman Plain Paper Map Pocket that I velcroed onto the straps of some Aerostich Tank Panniers. It holds a stack of letter-sized maps, and keeps out of the way better than a tank bag when standing on the pegs.
  19. The Heathen

The Heathen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new Kriega Overland 60 looks promising. Bit on the spendy side but what isn't these days.
  20. BMW F800GS Trophy

BMW F800GS Trophy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone giving out a Adv discount on the Kriega Overland 60 ?:evil