F800GS Pannier design considerations.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RedHawk47, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Sapper33

Sapper33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm running a set of Pelican 1600 cases, their huge, 91L volume between the 2 cases, on my F650GS 39.25" wide. One my F800GS they should be just under 41" wide.

Most people seem to be running the 1550 cases, but for a case that really isn't much bigger, the 1600 offers a lot more room. 1600 is 4" wider, 3" longer and 0.5" deeper, but works out to a sizable space difference: 32L in a 1550 vs 45L in a 1600.

I hung them so that the extra length is down low, and while I could see the extra width being a pain if you're riding 2-up, I don't (the girlfriend has her own bike for that), and the extra width is peanuts.

then again, I was looking for 1550 cases, and managed to find these 1600's for dirty cheap...beggars can't be choosers, but I wouldn't go back to the smaller size!
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I have the BWM Varios and they suit me pretty well, but I have trouble packing and unpacking them ...
    esp. when I am trying to load them to "full capacity"....

I do put all the stuff I'm likely to need on the road in the right pannier so that it is tilted up when the bike is on the side-stand, but still think top-loading configuration would make that a lot easier ... at least for me ... :lol3

Any suggestions?
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I used to think that about top-loaders too, JR, until I had Jesses on my last bike. Then I discovered that I often found myself digging down through layers of stuff to get at the item I needed, and ended up pulling stuff out (and dropping stuff on the ground) as I burrowed down to get it.

Have you considered using bag liners or packing cubes? They make it far less likely to have a yard sale when opening tightly packed side-loaders.
  4. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks WW!
    At the very least I feel better now ... :rofl

I have a bunch of the small "space bags" that work pretty well ... I still just feel a little like a traveling circus when I stop to put on my rain gear and such nonsense ... but hey it's all part of the adventure eh? :wink:
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    As someone who rides (and gets soaked regularly) in soggy Oregon, I have to ask: What is this "rain gear" you speak of? :D
  6. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Being an east-coast pansy ... and doing a fair amount of riding in the SE USA where we tend to get daily summer showers I have one of these:

http://www.riverroadgear.com/Sunglasses/HighNDryRainsuit.html

I picked it up on sale and it's worked pretty well lots of Velcro closure "storm flaps" that require a bit of fiddling, but do keep the rain from coming thru the zippers.
  7. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a list the hepco and becker lockit racks have for compatible cases? And is there anyone with them that can give a review? I like those and the trax or zega pros been researching for weeks
  8. Askemux

Askemux n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I am also thinking to get those holan balanced pro panniers. What exhaust do you have? I got OEM and have to change that first. At the moment metal mule's scorpion exhaust is the cheapest (~360€ shipped to Finland).

Did you have to choose seperately all racks and panniers from Holan site? I cant find those balanced in one package, like the pro system with pro panniers.
    http://holan.pl/en/product/24/29/127/511/2324/PRO_system_with_Nomada_PRO_cases_for_BMW_F650(Twin)_800GS

-Askemux-
  9. Mr_Wilson

Mr_Wilson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the SW Motech racks for my Hepco Becker Aluminum panniers. Same deal, quick removal leaving a "clean" bike when off. I didn't buy the SW Motech mounts as I was able to modify the mounts from the racks when I had them on my Tiger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I have the Twalcom exhaust for $399 USD from here

I bought the racks/panniers and mount hardware as a kit Holan USA (no longer importing Holan products due to issues with Holan..). I bought it as a kit shown on their site as "Symmetrical system with Nomada PRO cases for BMW F650(Twin)/800GS" I see what you are talking about, it's a blank link right now on their web page. Holan has been known to be very difficult to buy from at times. Such a shame because the product is great

Good luck
  11. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gee, That's nothing. A couple of straps, some JB Weld, and some baling wire and you are good to go.
    [​IMG].
    the bags were twisted 4 inches out of square. A day in a friend's metal shop and they were pretty well straightened up and reasonably watertite..
    If I had had the Caribous they would have popped off and I probably wouldn't have bent the subfrane. When I replace them or the bike I will get Caribous.
    BTW, I am the OP of this thread.
    Another comment - on size. I bought the big Jesses for my Alaska trip. As a result, I took too much stuff (weight). If I had had smaller panniers I would have been more careful (lighter) in my packing.
  12. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    :eek1
  13. BMW F800GS Trophy

BMW F800GS Trophy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking and waiting for the reason to push me one way or the other on cases and Dan you just did it! Thanks:thumb
  14. cakkurt

cakkurt F800GS Trophy ADV

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,

One week ago I bought globe scout pannier here are the photos also i bought Hepco Becker side racks (Which is suitable with these side cases) :)

Note: Top case is original BMW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Kiwi Dave

Kiwi Dave Beemer Boy

Oddometer:
    If I recall correctly, this thread was started by someone looking for a luggage solution for doing the TAT.
    Why not a soft luggage solution? I love my Touratech alloy panniers and when traveling with the misses on board these panniers carry the lot. However, when touring solo and especially off-road, ie the TAT, I use the Giant Loop saddle bag and a tent roll that straps to this. If I still need a bit more room I use a tank bag. These horseshoe style saddlebags carry mountains of gear and work Very Well. A mate uses the Bags Connection saddlebag and loves it too. Same deal, it just works and carries everything.

I understand if your two up that the side boxes are a necessity but if your traveling solo then think outside the square a bit and try something a whole lot easier and safer too.

Hope this helps,

Dave
    New Zealand:D
  16. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Removed the Trax system (see previous post) and installed the Caribou with HB rack. Just came back from a one week offroad trip in Idaho. I didn't crash but gave the panniers a good workout. No problems so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife has the soft bags and they work great. I might get a set for more aggressive trips
    [​IMG]

Of course the Trax Panniers might be better for hauling firewood......:D
    [​IMG]

17. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have a preference for symmetrical (balanced) versus asymmetrical for the pannier racks?

A well balanced looks springs to mind, and then if it were possible to mount a rotopax on the inside of the right side would be a plus. An asymmetrical setup allows a slightly larger hard case to be mounted on the right side... but if you're using soft bags such as the Wolfman Teton or Expedition, symmetrical comes back to the top again. If you're lane splitting in a place like CA, then less chance of bumping off of vehicles would be another plus.

Anyone else bat this around and come to a conclusion of one versus the other? Also who all makes symmetrical racks, such as Holan?

Any racks allow the mounting of a rotopax on the inside?
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Looking good! Now, go smack 'em into some big rocks to see if the quick-release mechanism works. :lol3
  19. RedneckRider

RedneckRider Lost Again !!!

Oddometer:
    Anyone out there tried the Pelican sidecase setup from Twisted Throttle? Need input please. I am trying to buy cases that I can switch between my KLR w/original flat style SW Motech racks and my F800GS w/EVO SW Motech racks. Both racks have Givi adapters. Caribou cases will only fit the EVO racks.
  20. VagabondChef

VagabondChef Vagabond Chef

Oddometer:
    I'm also looking for a symmetrical pannier system for my new F8. Plan on using Ortlieb Dry Bags. I was pretty sold on the Holan until I read about all the importing problems. Now I'm looking and looking for another alternative.

Any suggestions would be great!