F800GS Pannier design considerations.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RedHawk47, Dec 7, 2008.

1. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After destroying the giantloop panniers by having them sag and run into the rear wheel i ended up going for alu cases.
    They are made by the guys at heavy duties and they are a great bargain.
    http://www.heavyduties.ro/panniers/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    foogr01 likes this.
  2. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice your bike and your setup!
    Thanks for pointing out this company as i am looking the market for panniers.
    May i ask if this is the aluminium coating (or the coated gray)?
  3. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is just the plain, no coating aluminium. You do see a few tool marks on there from bending them (vertical lines you see on the picture), but i really don't mind :), if that bothers you get them coated, the logo is embossed and painted.
  4. Fré

Fré Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone who can measure the trax 37+45 setup overall width? I would be so grateful! Thanks!!
  5. thomps000

thomps000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the look of those and emailed the company to order some, but unfortunately they cannot ship outside the EU. Seems like a great priced option. May have to order them and have them shipped to my sister in Spain.
  6. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    with aluminium panniers i'd always go with coated/anodized to avoid that black smear/rub-off... you can use liners, yes, but still...
  7. Fré

Fré Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thomps, there are a lot of forwarders that can have your merchandize shipped right to your front door for only a small fee. I did some great business with http://www.oyola-luiijf.com/joomla/ in the past!
  8. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    they are a pleasure to deal with. Helped my buddy to get a pair since he struggled with english. Only real downside is that as soon as you take a nap with them, they release themselfs from the racks. real PITA if you ask me.
  9. Superduner

Superduner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've attached a picture of the first crack at the frame of the left hand box. It's high grade stainless steel and has a few bits left to be fitted (load spreaders on the top and bottom of the clips, mainly). There will also be a shield around the latch to prevent it being unscrewed.

The one for the other side is similar.

I'm not intending to take the boxes offroad heavily laden, and they seem plenty strong enough for "normal" use. Weight is a bit under 3.5kg for the box and frame.

I'h hoping that fabrication will be done in a few days, and then the frames go for powder coating and the security nuts go on to stop the boxes being unscrewed from the frame.

I forgot to measure the total width on the bike, but it will be narrower than the BMW boxes, for sure. Each of the Pelican boxes is 29 litres.

More pictures to follow in a week or so.

Attached Files:

10. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not yet tried this. I am guessing they slide out of their mounting rather than them breaking?
  11. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:
    Anyone seen these panniers from Acme Zoom?

[​IMG]

They don't look quite as stylish as some, but in the video the guy beats on them with a sledgehammer and rolls over it with a truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u87XmcFlRig

Anyone have these or know about them and want to say what is good or bad about them?

Here's the website http://acmezoom.com/

Go ahead on with the Wiley Coyote jokes now.
  12. steinline

steinline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting that the cases don't end up set up both with handles at the rear? Also, with my F7, wondering if maybe I should a custom "asymetrical" caribou set up, 40 liter on one side and maybe a 35 or something on the other - but I guess those are measured at the same width - I think?
  13. steinline

steinline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting that the cases don't end up set up both with handles at the rear? Also, with my F7, wondering if maybe I should a custom "asymetrical" caribou set up, 40 liter on one side and maybe a 35 or something on the other - but I guess those are measured at the same width - I think?
  14. vorticity

vorticity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, this looks like a very nice setup! Any idea on the total width with the panniers mounted?

thanks!
  15. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone please post a photo of the SW Motech pannier from the left side, near the passenger pegs? I think I see a problem with my setup, it may have bent a bit during my last off. Google image search isn't been helpful to me.
  16. sarathmenon

Oddometer:
    I took some photos of my tank in day light today. This is with the SW Motechs. This probably happened during my last fall. My guess is that the weight of the bike rested on the front attachment and bent the attachment inwards, causing the bolt to go through the outside of the tank. I don't have a leak in it (yet), but it's scary. I sent out an e-mail to SW Motech. Anyone seen this before? Can someone post a picture of their racks, so that I can compare how much mine may have bent?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. sarathmenon

Oddometer:
    Anyone? I suppose the strength of the attachment is compromised. I can bend it fairly easily when the racks are attached. I want to see how much out of whack it is, before deciding on the direction to go - should I go for another rack or just ask SW Motech for a replacement part.
  18. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen the SW-motech racks in person on 2 different bikes, and I don't know the opinion of the people who have them, but I find them very cheap and flimsy compared to a TT, Holan, or the wolfman racks.

Those button screws are a nice feature yeah, but they eventually fail and are a weak link in the setup.
    I would rather have a sturdy, solid rack and not worry about losing luggage.
  19. GSAZRick

GSAZRick n00b

Oddometer:
    When I got my 800GS I was going back and forth between another set of Jesse bags and soft luggage. I went with the Jesse bags (my 3rd set). Jesse recently came up with what they call a "Soft Plate" that fits on their mounting racks and is designed to mount soft luggage on their mounts. Kind of an ideal for me. I bought them and got the Ortlieb soft bags Jesse also sells. The plates are predrilled for the Ortlieb bags. I'm happy with the result. Now I can use the soft bags when I want and switch to the larger Jesse bags when I need the capacity in only a few minutes. Here are a couple of photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. ngs88

ngs88 Adventurer

Oddometer: