1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

F800GS Pannier design considerations.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RedHawk47, Dec 7, 2008.

1. fattyboombatty

fattyboombatty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All - been reading and reading and have seen this asked but not answered - so I'll ask again in hopes of getting clarification.

I am picking up a new 2015 F800 GS Adventure on Saturday. This bike as you know comes with standard rear pannier racks (supposedly to improve rear frame rigidity and stability).

When looking for panniers, either hard or soft, are we limited in what brands and models that fit these standard racks?

I would like to get aluminium panniers, and have been quoted $1350 AUS for left and right BMW models. Are there any other options available from other suppliers that fit the stock racks? Are we limited to purchasing new racks if we want to look at other offerings? Are there soft luggage options that make more sense given the provided rear hardware?

Thanks - apologise if it's been covered, but I couldn't find anything definitive
  2. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.

Bring the bike up to the Sunshine Coast and leave it with me for a while and i will build you something, like this.

[​IMG]
  3. foogr01

foogr01 On the scorpion trail...

Oddometer:
    I must say that the price of these panniers is very attractive !
    Does anyone tried them with an Altrider rack ? Do they work together ?
    I would say that using two small spacers together with the existing ones (and maybe longer screws as well) would do the trick.
    But better safe than sorry ;)
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    There have been several home-brew partial solutions to use the BMW mount points for hard and soft bags, but as far as I know there are no 3rd party chimerical offerings that fit the BMW racks.
    This is a shame since the racks now come as standard equipment on the bikes, and are visually much less obtrusive when you have the bags off than most of the other rack kits....
    Oh well :-/
  5. fattyboombatty

fattyboombatty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok - thanks for making it clear - I can either buy the BMW panniers for $1350 or purchase a whole new solution which would require a new rack setup
  6. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Yeah... as far as I know ... it's:
    1) BMW's Varios on (free) racks
    2) Homebrew
    3) rip off the BMW racks and go with something else....

It's a shame, but at the same time I can see how the development cost of something to fit the BMW Vario racks would be large enough to dissuade 3rd-parties from making a product. :-(
  7. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not know, you could mail them they might know.
    MrTuni and foogr01 like this.
  8. MrTuni

MrTuni 2 > 4

Oddometer:
    I just bought a pair of these to replace a set of Vario cases that were damaged beyond repair by a car knocking my (parked) 2013 F800GS over. I'm VERY pleased! Aside from meeting Bob, the owner of AcmeZoom, he helped me install them and has been excellent with customer service. Highly recommended. The capacity is fantastic (I got the 38L cases), they're very rugged, and the design is simple & attractive. I mounted mine with a set of Happy Trails SU racks.

bozmotodual16 likes this.