F800GS Power outlet convert to fused

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jessehere, Dec 27, 2008.

1. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I would like to convert the Power outlet to a fused input direct to battery. Anyone know the part number for the pain in the ass 2 pin plug that connects to powerlet outlet under the tank cover?
    I wanna power up air compressor, etc, etc. and don't need the canbus (feature?) for this.
  2. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    There are other posts on this. I would leave it alone and install a second outlet on the other side of the same panel.

I bought a powerlet 12" fused pigtail and a matching BMW style power plug (powerlet lists the BMW part numbers), removed the panel and drilled a hole on the other side of the key and it was done and back on in half an hour.
  3. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    other side is full don't need 2 powerlets anyway. just need the plug part #
    [​IMG]
  4. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This kit should do what you want to do, BMW iCAN Stock Socket Rewire Harness 12" :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

from http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/bmw-ican-stock-socket-rewire-harness-12/199

Or see this post about adding a 2nd outlet - http://f800riders.org/HoW/showentry.php?e=29&catid=6

Cheers, M.
    [oops...you beat me to the list...I see you don't want a 2nd outlet]
  5. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Thanks Magile... Looks good and simple
  6. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    That is the kit/connector I used, I don't think it's the same diameter as the original CANBUS power outlet.
  7. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Yea the plug if differnt too. maybe cause of the higher 15a capacity. anyway im sure it i'll work fine with help from dewalt.
    thanks all!:clap

edit-Dang-Philspace THX, I just checked the bike... the oem outlet is mounted in a recesss (visble in above picture)

might still need the BMW repair part (plug) for the oem powerlet anyone got a part number? i'd rathert leave canbus pulg hanging and get a new plug.
  8. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can the under the tank connector be used to trigger a relay? That way you could have switchable power for a device that draws more than 5 amps.
  9. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I'd either use the parking light up front or the GPS power connector, which will leave the power on for about 20 seconds after the bike is turned off.
  10. RobTheRigger

RobTheRigger Killing threads here since 2008

Oddometer:
    Pics are on the wife's PC, so I'll have her email them to me and post them up. I got a BMW socket from Riderwearhouse and wired a rocker switch to that in a Radio Shack project box going to an AP-1 under the faux tank. I thought about doing what you suggest but I didn't want to dick around with the CANbus at all. Hope that helps! Pics later.

Rob
  11. Magile

Oddometer:
    Powerlet shows 2 types of BMW sockets, depending on year. Looks like they take different plug designs too. Here you go -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm adding this to my F8 today, will pix tonight. - M
  12. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    The 042 is the new CANBUS version, connector is only rated to something like 5A. The older one on the left is spec'ed to a much higher load and has a right angle connector on the pig tail requiring less clearance, which can come in handy depending on where you mount it.

I always use the older style and fuse the sucker at 10 - 15A.
  13. Magile

Oddometer:
    I bought a PKT-067-12 a few weeks back at MAX BMW. They recommended this is what's needed to rewire the standard F800GS socket (next to the ignition key). I tried to install it today. No go. :bluduh

I next phoned the folks at Powerlet to find out what I really needed. They confirmed the our standard socket is 5 amps only ; they do not recommend using it for high loads ie electric clothing. Powerlet recommends I replace the standard socket with BMW p/n 61131391630 (below). But it costs $41.25 on the MAX parts website. I'll try to source a used one.

[​IMG]

This is what I should have bought, the PKT-042-12 kit, $39.95, which includes a new 15 amp socket.
    [​IMG]

- M
  14. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I have done that on my ST, the GS and two GT's only way to go.