F800gs pricing dilema

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by BykMyk, Dec 5, 2008.

1. BykMyk

BykMyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To the collective:
    I have a bit of a dilema. I'm in the market for an F800GS. I live in a dealer rich environment with at least 6 BMW moto dealers within a 200mi. radius. I requested OTD offers from several of the dealers. I really would like to buy from my local dealer since it is where I will have to take my bike for repairs etc. but the same bike is atleast $700.00 more expensive at the local dealer than one of the other dealers. I have gone back to my local dealer twice to give them the opportunity to give me a closer offer but my local dealer is less inclined to negotiate whereas the other seems to be willing to work with me. I haven't told any of them that I have other offers. Am I wrong to go to a "out of area" dealer? Will my going else where impact the service from the local dealer? What does the collective think?
    Thanks
    m
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    700.00 isnt much in the grand scheme of all things BMW,If your local dealer is good Id just buy it there.See if he'll throw in some luggage mounts or something to even it up some.
  3. TnTimbo

TnTimbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bottom line: In a typical dealership each department operates as its own profit center. There are many different thoughts on the best way to sell the most bikes. The service department can make or break a dealership. Anyway you slice it the service department makes just as much money off a bike bought elsewhere as it does off one they sold themselves.

In today's world if they give preferential treatment "consistantly" to certain customers the news travels like wildfire, and pretty soon the only customers they have will be the ones they gave the preferential treatment to. They will not grow their business in this way, and might even suffer or go broke.

Save the money where you can, and take it to the best service department you can find. In today's market you save money wherever you can!
    T
  4. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    And please be sure you are comparing apples to apples. There are many times when a dealer will quote, especially over the phone, the cheapest possible scenario (no options) then when you get there to sign things change a bit.

I wouldn't say go to the cheapest, I wouldn't say go to the closest. I would say go to the dealer you think you could have the best relationship with. I think that really matters.
  5. easyman05

easyman05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting - what kind of situation is in Germany now? Do BMW dealers there offer massive discounts on 800GS? Or is that realy a best-seller and no discounts could be negotiated?
  6. YOOPER1

YOOPER1 singletrack mind

Oddometer:
    If you need farkles or gear (jacket etc.) you are most likely going to get a better discount(or thrown in) from the one who is holding some profit. the mark up is way more on those than bikes, and 700 bucks at bmw dealer does not get much.
  7. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Save the $700 and use whoever you want for service. They will be happy to take your money. You have lots of choices/I ride in kali a lot.

Enjoy the bike!:D
  8. lonerockz

lonerockz Permanent n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're buying a bike, not asking for the dealers hand in marriage. Tell the close dealer that you really would prefer to buy the bike from them. Tell them you have a better deal elsewhere.

Will the sales guy glare at you when you bring in your bike for service after you end up buying it from the guy down the way. Probably. If that bothers you then ask him for a kiss while he screws you, its the least he could do.

Steve
  9. 762nato

762nato Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be upfront and tell them you are getting quotes and that you are going to buy . The fact you tell them you are buying makes sales people drool or foam at the mouth.. I do siding and window sales and when someone tells me they are buying I do both foam and drool. If they know you are not just kicking tires they change their attitude. When I was looking at buying a new Tiger when I told them I was buying a bike from someone the price change by $800. FWIW.
  10. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally different bike , but here goes. Bought the Scram from an out of town dealer & saved $ 2000.00 over the trade in & sale offer from my local dealer. I figured the money was better in my pocket than his.
    Had a warranty problem, the local dealers workshop were great & most cooperative . but the dealer principal gave minimal assistance or backup in my battle with Triumph to get the claim accepted, I don't blame him really as there was nothing in it for him & he didn't sell the bike
    Make of that what you will.
  11. marty hill

Oddometer:
    You have 1 dealer in auckland. Nice store, I've been there. He has many in Calif. At least 10 that I know of. Very different situation.
  12. rajelus

rajelus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check to see if one dealer is throwing in the 600 mile service and the other is not.
  13. panthercity

panthercity Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer:
    :huh Not to mention a different bike (with multiple dealers).
  14. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    :nod I agree. Which place do you want to go to when you really need help with your bike after the sale?

Are you pricing just the bike or with luggage, ect?

Don't forget that any accessories carry a 3 year warranty when purchased with the bike!
  15. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    I apologise , I didn't realise the make of bike made a difference in how you make a dealer choice, There are 4 Triumph dealers within a 200ml radius of me, I bought from the one farthest away because they gave the best deal, but when I looked for any real support on a warranty claim that Triumph refused I was pretty much on my own, stands to reason , there was nothing in it for them , thay made nothing on the sale, why would they stick their neck out.
    Go where you feel the most comfortable, if the difference had been $500 I would have bought locally
    Yes, the claim got sorted through my own efforts not the dealer.
  16. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    and ... if you wanted to play it this way you can take it to the closest dealer for routine service (make sure you keep receipts / get book stamped) and if you have an issue where dealer assistance would be nice (warranty problem etc..) you can always still go back to the dealer you bought from for their more "vested" assistance.... well maybe...

Jim
  17. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering, was the dealer that was higher asking $700.00 over list price or was the other dealer that was cheaper by $700.00 quoting you a discounted price under list.

I just purchased (a month ago) my F800GS and for the first time ever, paid dealer list price. I would love to have negotiated a discount but with the dealership having a waiting list of potential buyers, I didnt have much leverage.

Bottom line, get the bike. Your gonna love it! :clap
  18. marty hill

Oddometer:
    I just visited a dealer that had two 800GS's on the floor. One of each color/both non abs. I can assure you that they will discount a bit. In the midwest/if interested pm me and I'll give you the managers name.
  19. markit

markit West Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I would buy it from the local dealer and pay his price. Each dealer is not able to get as many F800GS's as they can sell. If any of them discount it; that's money they can never recover. Your local dealer probably knows if he hangs on to it some rich beemer lovin bloke will come in and not ask for a discount and drive out same day. Another way to look at its this time next year your local dealer will have spent your $700 and the extra money will be long gone but you'll still have your F800GS. In MHO you'll have gotten the better end of the deal.
  20. Eurastus

Eurastus Hej på dej!!

Oddometer:
    I agree with MarkIt. Pay the money now and be done with it. The difference in prices will be forgotten quickly, but the relationship will not.

I saw three unclaimed F800GS bikes on the floor at BMW of Salt Lake this afternoon. I'm bettin' the next fellow through the door won't pay MSRP, though you can bet I did only four weeks ago when it was the only unsold F800GS in the state.

Yous pays yous money and yous takes yous chances...

By the way, MarkIt, wanna' bet we've got the only two F800GS bikes in the county? I've had at least a dozen guys stop me and ask about the bike in the past month--four on the ride home from the dealership the first day I had it. You cover the north valley; I'll handle the south...