F800GS related question - what's your inseam? ;)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by SportsGuy, Nov 30, 2008.

1. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    As soon as our house sells, we're moving to Seattle (that's the plan at least). Rather than buying a second car upon arrival, I think it'd make more sense to buy a bike for everyday commuting to work, plus it'll cut down on costs with the lower outlay of cash, fuel, insurance, blah, blah, blah... I just want a bike, really! ;)

(I used to ride 15 years ago, and nary a Spring goes buy that I don't try to scheme some way to buy a bike. Back in the day, it was my main mode of transport for 2 years, so sun, rain, snow - it was all tackled... provided there was at least even wet asphalt and temps above zero. ;))

...and no, it does not, in fact, rain ALL THE TIME in Seattle...

So, I've been poking around here, and looking (*drooling*) over pics of f800GS's, and it occured to me - seeing other folks on these rigs is great, but I have NO idea how tall folks are, so there's little frame of reference for me to know if I'd even fit the bike.

Before anyone suggests a visit to the local dealer ----- we don't have one where I currently live. It's about a 2 hour drive from here, so it's not worth running up there to swing a leg over something I want, but won't buy just yet. ;)

That got me thinking to ask - with the standard suspension and seat combo, how does your F800GS fit you...and what is your inseam measurement?

Personal, I realize, but imagaine if someone asked, "Does this GS make my a$$ look fat...?"

Might be an idea for the admins to add an inseam measurement form into the profiles, too. Then others would be able to better judge fitment of bikes in relation to themselves. :)
  2. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll go.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, and a little thicker in build ~215 lbs. I have the stock GS on Battlewings, and I always wear heavy boots. The first thing I had to learn was to be careful to lift my leg high enough when mounting the bike on the sidestand or else I whack my knee on the grab handle and have to limp around the garage with tears in my eyes. But once on the bike, I find my weight loads the suspension so that my feet both touch the ground BALLS OF FEET ONLY. I cannot "flat foot", but I don't care because I'm used to tall dirt bikes. I'll tell you when I have an issue, though, is trying to back the bike up while mounted, on grass or gravel. Sometimes I can't get enough traction to avoid one foot slipping forward, and that's the closest I've come so far to dropping it. So far I've learned: Left foot down at stops feels very secure. Put sidestand down before dismounting so when the suspension rises it doesn't keep my leg stranded over the seat. And if my leg cramps up while trying my round-house-kick mounting technique, I have to wait at least two minutes before I can try again.
  3. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    5'10", 32" inseam, 190 lbs. I can flat foot the bike if I scoot all the way forward on the seat.

David
  5. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. :)

Gator - I'll poke through that thread. :)

Wood - would that happen to be an English Springer Spaniel snoot I spy as your avitar?
  6. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    5' 8", 29" inseam. Flat footing a bike is highly overrated.
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Nope, that's a very rare, stupid border collie (she's gotten herself skunked four times in the last two years). You want her?

David
  8. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    5' 11" with a 31" inseam and 214 lbs. Yeah, yeah, I'm the tallest guy in the room sat down. :D I got the low seat. Didn't need it. Ordered the Corbin.
  9. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for the input. :)

Especially th elink above - I just spent the last hour reading all 25 pages - simly stunning amount of useful info. Definitely taking a run up to Vancouver when we get moved to Seattle to buy that guys a coffee. :)

Dave - ah, best of luck with the pup - truely an anomoly there... *chuckles*. Checked with my wife, she said one stupid dog, one crafty dog and one smart dog are enough for us at the moment. ;)

Stupid - worlds cutest Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    Crafty - worlds savviest Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (different litter, go figure...)
    Smart - English Springer Spaniel, aka Toolshed, a-hole, dillhole or ar$eface, depending on who he's growled at and chased after. ;)

Ah, dogs...one of life's pleasures...:rofl
  10. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    5'10" and 30" inseam.
    I agree about the flat footed deal being over rated.
  11. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
    I'm 6' with short legs - 29" trouser inseam. Balls of my feet only touch. Was the same on my KLR and KTM950Adv.
    Not a problem.
  13. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    5 '8" 170 pounds, 30 "inseam

I bought my F800 GS with the low seat option. I cant quite flat foot the bike but have no issues touching the ground with both feet.

I dont like the stock seat and am replacing it with something aftermarket, just havent decided which one yet. I am not sure how it will effect the overall height but am not concerned because the bike is very easy to handle.

You'll love the bike. Get a good slicker when you pick it up! Ok, it doesnt rain every day in Seattle. Perhaps every OTHER day?? :evil
  14. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    6'2" w 34" inseam

The 12GSA fit me better. I will be going for a higher seat on the 800. The OEM touring seat is supposed to be a good fit for my size.

Having said that, I've put 6k miles on the bike in the stock configuration and have no real issues riding it as is. Adding the sheepskin makes it even more manageable.
  15. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    Flat footing is w-a-y overrated, said the man who's 5-feet-8 and 150 pounds with a pocket full of rocks. His saving grace? 31" inseam that lets him get the balls of his feet on the ground in tennies. Same fit as a KLR.
  16. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'11", 34" inseam. I've only sat on the bike in the showroom thus far (March delivery for mine), but was able to flat foot both sides and push my 175 lbs off the seat a bit. And that was with street shoes on, not my riding boots. I don't expect any trouble riding it. I'm lucky to be extra long in the limbs for my height (though not so much when it comes to buying clothes).
  17. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    Well, I spent almost all morning with the great folks at Ride West in Seattle today.

Got to spend time sitting on the 800GS with both the standard seat and low seat options...

Standard seat:

Bike felt completely managable, very well balanced, and (*YEAH*) I could easy sit with the balls of my feet on the ground in my sneakers. :)

Low seat option:

Ddidn't really notice much difference in my feet touching the ground, but did notice the dished seat moved my back into a different position - just sitting on the bike in the showroom, though, I have no idea if that would be problematic on a long ride.

LOVED the feel of the bike - sampled everything else as well, since they had their dempo fleet out front. Damn near *bought* a 1200GS, but managed to stay balanced. ;) Definitely not sportsguy friendly... ;)

Took some time to try on helmets, and riding gear, too - great group of folks there. Johnny in parts recommended an Italian place for dinner - I went, it rocked:

The Pink Door, 1919 post Alley, Seattle - located at Pike Place market...where I bumped into Anthony Sedlak tonight while he was shopping for fish.

Back to the bike, though... I did notice the standard seat's edges dug into the underside of my thighs when I had my feet down, and it was uncomfortable. BUT, most time would be spent feet on pegs, and over time I figure the seat foam would break in - worst case, there's the aftermarket.

Overall, I'm sold - now to get the house sold and move my a$$ to Seattle and grab one of these awesome bikes.
  18. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    5'8 30 inch inseam 220#, I can tip-toe it. Feels similar to my stock XR650R to me.

David