F800GS - show us your lights

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kktos, Jan 13, 2009.

1. epicxcrider

epicxcrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dually is the same size, 2 more LEDs each lamp. Much better beam pattern too imo
  2. Sutherngintelmen

Sutherngintelmen around the bend

Oddometer:
    Good info on D2s. I've been thinking of mounting my Ds on the 4Runner since I bought amber lamps (wanted fog/marker as I've got Kristas running on the bike too.) Was up at MC shop a couple of months ago and saw snap on amber lens covers for Dually (sounds like it will fit D2 as well) would be nice to have options.

Here's an email I got last night - seems there is a new led offer from Clearwater too. These look more compact like their Glenda. Didn't see anything when I linked to www for more info.

[​IMG]
  3. epicxcrider

epicxcrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might put the ds on my Fj and get the d2s for the bike. We will see :)
  4. isaac004

isaac004 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I decided to get a pair of driving lights, mostly for day time visibility from other drivers as I am getting ready for a long Alaska ride, but also for those times when I am on the dirt after the sun goes down.

I am cheap, but I also want bright and reliable, therefore I went with the ADV Monster Model 60 flood lights. I have some friends who use these and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I decided it would be best to mount them onto my Best Rest Headlight guard. I looked at other options but they did not suit me well. The handlebars would not work because then the lights would shine onto my windscreen and catch glare. Crash bars would not work because I think it looks ugly and they would get injured easier in a fall. I saw some nice brackets, such as one that bolts between the beak and the body, but I did not want to spend $100.

So I figured I could swap out a longer bolt in my headlight guard, and it turns out to work very well.

I also ordered the dimmer switch. I can now run the lights at the lowest setting with my low beam for normal use so I don't blind other drivers (it is easy for these lights to blind others, especially on high beam at night). When I flip the high beam switch, the lights go on full blast. I tapped off of the high beam lead through a vent hole in the back of the head light housing. The dimmer switch I mounted to the top of my clutch lever body using 3M VHB tape.

These are BRIGHT, they totally wash out my high beam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. chinchinete

chinchinete Learning to fly

Oddometer:
    Isaac004: I don't want to spend $100 either. Could you elaborate on the wiring, instaling and things you ordered? I like your set up and would like to have something similar.
  6. isaac004

isaac004 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, but it will take me about a week before I can grab more photos and do a quick write up. The rest of the materials are cheap/basics...splice connector, wires, connectors, relay, fuse holder...all from Radio Shack and similar.
  7. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    TT LED lights btw
  8. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    Here are mine , Kildala lightbar, great stuff!

[​IMG]
  9. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Baja Design Squadron LED light. IMO, at 3600 lumins, one light is more than enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. dpm

dpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    seems like a good place to put this...

[​IMG]

vendor was "topofking" on ebay.

[​IMG]

Clears the fork and the brake line on my 650 by more than 1/4", dunno how it would do on an 800. A tiny, tiny ballast that may have other uses or placement.

NO canbus issues, strikes instantly every time. Doesn't get too warm either.

To fit? Drill hole in bulb cap, push wires and nut through, fit rubber washer and split washer, tighten, connect. Done!
  12. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    The TT anti-fog aux. lights

Great for aux. lights in the night but not for the fog :D

[​IMG]
  13. thleon

thleon Theo

Oddometer:

Nice!!! the vendor seems that has no more this product how can search it on the net?
  14. dpm

dpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. prasta

prasta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rochester, NY -> Plattsburgh, NY -> Boston, MA
    speechless...
  16. Loutre

Oddometer:
    you are 4 years late to the party mate :lol3
  17. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Mounted some Tecno Globe LED Lights. I already had foglights and liked them, but needed something to brighten my night. I did hook them directly to the battery with a switch so that I can use them when I'm camping with the engine Off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just the lights on without lowbeam.

[​IMG]
  18. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice tidy install.
    Did it actually ship from Britain, or more probably from somewhere in asia ?
    Great price for a ballast. Which H7 conversion bulb did you fit ?
    I am trying to find one that isn't blue, or greenish.
    Ideal would be a VERY bright 4000K... mimic the illumination of a halogen, but with MORE LUMENS.
  19. dpm

dpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ballast shipped from China, arrived in about ten days IIRC. I'm using it with a cheap 4300k burner that had originally been in better-half's previous car.

It's white on the road at night (but the halogen HI is noticeably yellow) but looking at the lamp in daytime it seems a tiny bit coloured. Turquoise perhaps? Funny thing is I never recall those burners looking like that on the car so it could be an artefact of the lamphouse or maybe the ballast is pushing it a tiny bit harder. Either way, intensity is NOT an issue...
  20. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    Ok so this is about the most boring lamp (W5W) in the bike... but finally an offering from a recognised manufacturer.

Osram state they are 'for offroad use only' but they have a diffusion lens which evenly spreads the directional LED beam. I went for the 4,000°K version as it's least likely to attract attention from the overzealous European authorities. It's a little bit brighter and whiter than the stock bulb and it's nice to know it will likely last the lifetime of the bike. No CAN-bus errors (the F800GS seems not too sensitive with the low wattage bulbs).

Works great in the headlamp as a position lamp, not so great in the numberplate, as the lit area of the bulb is nearer the end of the bulb than the incandescent W5W so an insufficient amount of light comes through the clear part of the housing. So, apart from the H3 headlamps, the numberplate is the only non-LED bulb on my bike.

[​IMG]