F800GS - show us your lights

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kktos, Jan 13, 2009.

1. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to remount my lights after replacing my old Holan crash bars with a set of AltRider ones this winter. I custom fabricated the mounting blocks on my mill. The lights are VisionX LEDs that I've had on the bike since nearly new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Who makes that switch? :deal
  3. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    it came with the Denali Micro DM lights
  4. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I've missed the Wunderlich Flooters that I removed and sold when I almost sold the bike. They had a wide spread to fill in where the headlight failed to illuminate the side of the road, especially when the bike was heeled over in curves.

Last month, I bought from RocketMoto.com a pair of Clearwater Darla lights, which for their size and power draw, are amazing little units. A bit pricey, but with the excellent tech support from Adam at RocketMoto over the years, I trusted his judgment. They come with effective and simple brackets to mount as seen in the photo below. I have them aimed for a wide low spread rather than for spotlighting down the road. I was concerned about their vulnerability, but a visit to a muddy ditch on Saturday has shown I may be worried about nothing. Each light is set inwards and thus protected by the fork. I've sourced a used bracket for mounting next to the beak, but I may not use it.

The output is so high that a dimmer is included with a nicely-designed bracket for bolt-on installation. I have yet to determine the appropriate setting to minimize glare to oncoming drivers. When high beam is steady on or flashed, the dimmer is overridden and the Darlas are at maximum.

They came with a relay and fuse cable, but if you have a relay and fusebox with switched power, the Clearwater cable is redundant.

Fred

[​IMG]
  5. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    Stupid question: do you find that since the lights are mounted to the fork like that, the light bounces around and such? I only ask because I really want to get a set but, I can't mount them to the beak area as I have TT uppers.
    Thanks.
  6. gleyfman

gleyfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Got mine installed few weeks ago and finally got time to post.
    I love the lights, they are bright and look very nice. Certainly a good quality product.
    Now to install - I took the most difficult route:
    Lights + Skene controller + 3 position switch. This is a lot of wiring!!!
    Took me most of the day, but I was pretty thorough, soldering most connections e.t.c
    I also decided to mount these on my SW Motech bars, but took a different route - I installed these on the inside of the bar, attaching to existing bolt mount, connecting left and right sides. I had to use an L-Braket to get the right angle, I just found some in my garage, leftover from some furniture piece and painted it black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up Fred, thanks!

You can aim the lights about 5° down and that will minimize the toasted retinas of oncoming cagers :evil.

During the day, I ride with mine with the volume control about 1/4 of the way clockwise. At night all the way down - 'cept on dark roads, of course.

8. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    We can get the same switch from PIAA, or you can order one from Electrical Connection, here.

I suggest buying an extra - they do fail with some regularity. We stock a nice little mounting bracket for these, too.
  9. FredRydr

Oddometer:

I haven't ridden with them in the dark yet to answer, but Rocketmoto offers a beak mount. That's where the Flooters were. I'll ride a few nights before I decide to keep them where they are, move them to the upper fork legs or to the beak.

Fred
  10. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank You for your business and posting.:clap That is one great looking setup, and you have all the zones covered, add a helmet mounted light and your off to the races.
    I'm pretty sure you win the award for having the most light on a GS:lol3
  11. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :clap
  12. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks Adam!
  13. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just added a pair of these to my bike as well tonight. Didn't take any pictures yet. I did some research before buying these as well. I was worried about locating them on the forks but heard from other that this was not a problem. It might be a few days until I get to ride it though to see what may need adjusted.
  14. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    these are Baja design the Ericas are like a little candle in the wind compared to these! BTW I own a set of Ericas so I am not blowing smoke of my ass

Attached Files:

15. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    this just looks wrong in so many ways :huh
  16. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    what looks wrong? Night riding in Baja is FUN with these lights. They are amazingly bright.
  17. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    I still haven't ridden in the dark. Just goes to show my favorite riding time of the day.

Fred

P.S. And now it's laid up while the front wheel is en route to Colorado. I could just mount my other set of wheels, but I'll just ride the R1200R in the interim.
  18. Danger Dave

Danger Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I put on these Warn WXT 400hid lights a few nights ago...used the warn mounting brackets.
  19. Scotty Breauxman

Scotty Breauxman Baja Breaux

Oddometer:
    Nite Rider Pro DIY 3600

3600 Lumens each. Lightweight, bright and strong.
    [​IMG]
  20. Sutherngintelmen

Sutherngintelmen around the bend

Oddometer:
    Who cares about the lights - that pic hot!! :lol3 Damn nice photo Breaux:thumb